Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   300/66 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sensible spares requirements (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=298723)

Wonderbadger Sep 19th, 2019 14:58

Sensible spares requirements

I'm wondering if I need to stockpile a few spares in case of future failure so I can keep my 340 running as long as possible. Are there any spares or service parts which are considered sensible to keep hold of? Having a whole spare car might be a step too far for the other half though :regular_smile:

Clan Sep 19th, 2019 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderbadger (Post 2555212)
I'm wondering if I need to stockpile a few spares in case of future failure so I can keep my 340 running as long as possible. Are there any spares or service parts which are considered sensible to keep hold of? Having a whole spare car might be a step too far for the other half though :regular_smile:

yes there are a handful of things which would make the car useless , what model have you?

Wonderbadger Sep 19th, 2019 15:44

DOH, sorry I meant to mention that in my original post! Its an '86 1.4DL

Clan Sep 19th, 2019 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wonderbadger (Post 2555231)
DOH, sorry I meant to mention that in my original post! Its an '86 1.4DL

if it is 1986 model year ( july 1985 to july 1986)

You may need in order of likelihood :

a RENIX ignition unit 3204948 ( 402 as the last 3 digits of the type number ) and the flywheel sensor ,

a fuse box ,

a drivers door handle complete;

a pair of rear light units with good connection terminals

How are your headlamp reflectors ? you can still find brand new ones for sale at about £30

door hinge pins are cheap and renewing worn ones stops the door knocking when on the move .

As a bonus if you can find a 5 speed transaxle from a 1.7 it will make a useful difference to refinement and fuel economy . It is an easy direct replacement .

It might be good to find a new volvo clutch and exhaust system .

and a propshaft if you can find one ,

You are unlikely to need any of the above , as you know the 300 series never breaks down or needs any parts :-)

classicswede Sep 19th, 2019 20:50

Agree with most of above,

I have not seen any new headlamps or reflectors for a long time. I have one new pair in stock and that is it now.

I have been looking at options to recoat them

Clan Sep 19th, 2019 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicswede (Post 2555306)
Agree with most of above,

I have not seen any new headlamps or reflectors for a long time. I have one new pair in stock and that is it now.

I have been looking at options to recoat them

set up a search on ebay i have seen 3 sets of new ones come up in the last year after i was lucky in getting a pair myself .

another rare one are the Capri,Allegro, Avenger , Lucas brighteyes , they are going for nearly £100 a pair now and still crop up new now and again .