Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Slow revving T4 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302341)

genghisk Jan 12th, 2020 09:14

Slow revving T4

Morning guys.

I've got nothing to compare to as I've never driven another T4 but I think mine seems to rev slowly or at least slower than I'd expect. Also it seems to take an age for the turbo to kick in. Any common faults I should look at first?

Clan Jan 12th, 2020 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by genghisk (Post 2588377)
Morning guys.

I've got nothing to compare to as I've never driven another T4 but I think mine seems to rev slowly or at least slower than I'd expect. Also it seems to take an age for the turbo to kick in. Any common faults I should look at first?

if you put some coins in the compartment above the radio they should shoot out when you accelerate in second gear at full throttle !

Most likely low fuel pressure , the pump on these seems to wear out over 100,000 miles .

genghisk Jan 12th, 2020 13:25

Ok. Well it's not slow but it's not as fast as you guys make out it should. It's on 80k with full service history. Its had loads of work done over the years. Is the fuel pump a big job on these?

Clan Jan 12th, 2020 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by genghisk (Post 2588449)
Ok. Well it's not slow but it's not as fast as you guys make out it should. It's on 80k with full service history. Its had loads of work done over the years. Is the fuel pump a big job on these?

No not a big job , but you need to get the fuel pressure checked at 5000 rpm at full power and make sure it maintains just over 3.5 bar when doing so .

CharlesStevenson Jan 12th, 2020 15:28

genghisk, have you actually owned the car for long or is it a recent purchase?

If new, what was it like on the test drive?

If longer owned, has it always been this way?

Is it auto or manual?

Might help to narrow down if there's anything up.

Also is the CEL on? Even if not, if you can plug in an ODB checker (see ebay for a great selection) you'll be able to check for codes etc even if they're not firing off the CEL.

... & yes, the "flying coins test" is a good one ... that plus a bit of scrabbling across the roadway left-right if you're on a wet patch when booting it!

genghisk Jan 12th, 2020 16:09

Cheers for the replies everyone. I bought the car on friday. 200miles away from home so I did have a good drive home albeit safe and steady as I didn't know the car. So between 60 and 90mph on average. It pulls well between these speeds but the does seem to be aflat spot around say 4500 to 5500 rpm. 0 to 60 also seems average. I've got a Honda civic type s ( for sale btw) 160bhp and cant really see much difference. Certainly not the roaring get aways you lads seem to get. I'll get it plugged in and see what readings comeback.

walshawwilly Jan 12th, 2020 17:17

I hope it isn't a 2.0t badged up as a t4, not unheard of!!!

Maccmike Jan 12th, 2020 17:54

Might just need a good service.
Theyre only 200hp so maybe youre expecting too much?
As above get the fuel pump pressure checked, service it, get it on the rollers for about £40ish for a power run and this'll indicate whether its healthy or not.

genghisk Jan 12th, 2020 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by walshawwilly (Post 2588541)
I hope it isn't a 2.0t badged up as a t4, not unheard of!!!

Its t4 CD on the log book. It's got full service history and it doesn't feel great anyway so I'm guessing it's a t4 but needs some TLC. Do the 2 engines look the same though?

genghisk Jan 12th, 2020 19:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maccmike (Post 2588566)
Might just need a good service.
Theyre only 200hp so maybe youre expecting too much?
As above get the fuel pump pressure checked, service it, get it on the rollers for about £40ish for a power run and this'll indicate whether its healthy or not.

Yeah in the last 3 years it's only done a handful of miles so prob just needs messing with a bit.

Cheers for the help everyone