Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=183)
-   -   The answer to all ill's (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=181442)

The Thong May 29th, 2013 22:58

The answer to all ill's

So what happened then? I remember when LPG was going to change the world, save the Dolphins and Tigers. You don't see many of them about. I've gotta say that it's LPG all the way for me but I was just curious about the slow Ebb of this fuel type.

TT

John_C May 30th, 2013 07:28

Same problems its always had really, too many cowboy installers, some engines don't get on with it, you have to do a lot of miles and keep the car for a good while for it to make sense and there are a lot of horror stories out there.

The Thong May 30th, 2013 10:28

Shame really, especially when some of the benefits out weigh the problems.

John_C May 30th, 2013 17:33

Agreed.

The Thong May 30th, 2013 22:45

Given the fact that you get low emissions, you would have thought that the motor manufacturers would have jumped on this. LDV used a Ford 2ltr engine in the Convoy series and to be fair it was a good motor. Sadly LPG garages were few and very far between at the time. Volvo did although they're problematic. But that seems to be it. Admittedly the BRC system I have on my S60 is pukka but it just seems a wasted opportunity to me.

Sm1thson May 30th, 2013 22:54

I think the advancement in diesels has had a lot to do with LPG not been popular. in the old days diesels were slow, modern variable vain turbo diesels are not slow and deliver the power through the range, so its a good choice for many. (not everyone, Ive been a diesel driver for years but just gone petrol as my car is mostly used round town now and diesels dont like that, an LPG T5 would be lovely but Im sticking to cheap cars for now).

The Thong May 31st, 2013 06:20

Not being an expert on modern diesels, does LPG deliver lower emissions? The modern Diesel engine is a marvel of engineering without a doubt.

monkeh May 31st, 2013 15:36

LPG puts out 2 products, CO2 and water vapour, with I believe almost zero other nasties. Also doesnt contaminate engine oil with carbon as petrol does On the plus side to us LPGers, we enjoy a price reduction every so often, My local has gone from 69.9 to 64.9p per litre...

capt jack Jun 25th, 2013 20:18

I reckon the real reason that LPG hasn't taken off is good old-fashioned politics. I ran my LPG converted V70 for 8 years and 240,000 miles on gas. In That time I saved around £16,000 in fuel costs. The only difference between the price of petrol and the price of LPG is tax and duty. So HMG are £2000 a year worse off directly because of me.

The Government are committed via international agreements to support alternative fuels so that they can look 'green'. There aren't many LPG cars on the road, so the reduced tax take is not much.

BUT if all 25,000,000 cars were to change to LPG then the lost tax income would be £50,000,000,000 per year - that's £50 billion, which is about the annual cost of the RAF, the Army, the Navy and all UK defence spending put together.

So, in a neat stitch up, car makers avoid LPG on new cars and make after-market conversion difficult and the Government keeps it's money. That is the Government keeps YOUR money. The car makers are rewarded by being allowed to sell over-priced finance deals, and all the other shady benefits they enjoy internationally.

Can't prove any of this of course, but at my age I'm allowed grumpy old man status - and my own pet conspiracy theories!

Cheers

Jack

volvobaggen Jun 27th, 2013 00:36

I believe new cars are all rubbish due to abundant and complicated electronics. Engine manufacturers have finally "discovered" that they can save some pennies using low quality alloys for valve seats because petrol quality has improved.

Maybe I´m also becoming a grumpy old fart, because the next car is a Volvo 940 :)