Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Recommend a used car warranty. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282923)

biggbn Jun 13th, 2018 15:14

Recommend a used car warranty.

As above, dealer I am looking at can give me a comprehensive warranty for £450 spread over the existing payments. I have looked online and the recomeneded ones seem to be about £40 a month but there are so mamy
I want clutch and emissions systems covered...suggestions?

Prufrock Jun 13th, 2018 21:02

[QUOTE=biggbn;2413847I want clutch and emissions systems covered...suggestions?[/QUOTE]

I'd be surprised if any warranty would cover those items, clutch is a consumable...depends what you're referring to with emissions systems - DMFs and DPFs would be a no-no.

Jon.

biggbn Jun 14th, 2018 10:10

The one offered by dealer allegedly covered all this which made alarm bells ring. Am thinking forty quid a month in my savings account covers me for EVERYTHING...

Prufrock Jun 14th, 2018 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggbn (Post 2414110)
The one offered by dealer allegedly covered all this which made alarm bells ring. Am thinking forty quid a month in my savings account covers me for EVERYTHING...

Having worked on assignment with the RAC one accumulates a great deal of knowledge. 80% of the people one passes knowledge to will ignore it, the other 20% will take it on board and use it - Pareto's principle modified to suit !

Jon.

biggbn Jun 14th, 2018 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prufrock (Post 2414155)
Having worked on assignment with the RAC one accumulates a great deal of knowledge. 80% of the people one passes knowledge to will ignore it, the other 20% will take it on board and use it - Pareto's principle modified to suit !

Jon.

80% of events come from 20% of principles.? I wonder, of that 20% , what percentage is attributed to stupidity, arrogance, fundamentalism or environmental drivers🤔

S60D5-185 Jun 14th, 2018 12:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggbn (Post 2414110)

If we are still talking about that low mileage TDi Beetle George that you liked, I would simply put £40 in your slush fund for eventualities.

The mileage that you do should naturally keep the DPF squeaky clean and I would not anticipate any issue with the clutch/DMF until well North of 100k ( if at all ) depending on what state it is in now.

As Prufrock said, those items will not be covered by any warranty as they are consumables so you may as well save your money.:teeth_smile:

volvoid Jun 14th, 2018 16:08

Arfur Daley

biggbn Jun 14th, 2018 17:56

Yup, warranty seems an unnecessary comfort blanket, and a bloody expensive one at that

capt jack Jun 14th, 2018 18:09

Check out your rights under the law - cars bought from a trader are very much better protected than ever, thanks to the 2015 Consumer Rights Act.

Warranties really only benefit the insurance companies who sell them. As has been said, buy wisely from a reputable dealer, and then squirrel away a slush fund of say £50 a month. Chances are you'l be using that in a couple of years time to fund the next new motor!

Cheers

Jack

cejsmith Jun 18th, 2018 21:27

When I had a xc70 , I brought a warranty direct warranty, it was well worth it. I had a main seal oil leak and they paid out with no problems. Like any insurance read the details understand the product and if it does what you want buy it.