Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   VOC Section Events (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Voc @ Tatton Park week end 4/5 June 2011 (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=126437)

nigel335 Jun 6th, 2011 11:40

Voc @ Tatton Park week end 4/5 June 2011

Tatton Park:

Out of more than 50 'Club' stands - in a car show with in excess of 2,500 exhibits our 'first bash' VOC stand got second prize in the 'highly commended'.

We had seven cars on Saturday and eleven cars on Sunday. Every single one a VOC car. So we were really pleased with the turn out. Luckily we managed to grow the size of our plot becasuse an ice cream seller failed to show up - so the neighbouring pitch allocated for his van was snapped up by our extra cars. It would have been tight otherwise (I'd banked on a maximum of eight showing up!)

There were a number of other Volvos dotted around the show, from 164's, Amazons, 200, 900, 300 - all private entries.

They award six prizes in 'highly commended' all of whom are awarded nice trophies. Then six further simpler shields are given to clubs who have caught the eye of the judges. So we came 2nd out of all those Club stands! I am really pleased with our efforts.

My 'new' 240 GL Saloon (first outing to any show) won Best Volvo.

We shifted lots of Membership forms and Club Magazines - so we hope that a few of those decide to sign up.

Of course, everyone seemed to congratulate me for the weeken's success. I didn't see it that way at all. I see it as a collective effort that grew out of a simple idea I had one day whilst cleaning up one of the cars. Every single car was an outstanding example - all beautifully turned out.

I will send some detalis over to Chris Wickers, along with some photos. We ALL enjoyed the weekend and we're all keen to repeat the excercise - perhaps as early as Tatton's Park's August 2011 Show. I shall appeal for the troops to join in again - if Chris would be kind enough to get it into the next issue of Driver.

Douglas Hughes

The Hooded Claw Jun 6th, 2011 11:43

I'm Mystfied as to why no one thought to mention this "Get Together" to the 78% of Members on here that are NOT VOC Members.

I fer 1 would have brought down the "C" & I KNOW several other Members that would have been only to happy to attend

tt82 Jun 6th, 2011 12:55

Ditto as per Hooded Claw

Had I known I could have easily popped down to give support

tc Jun 6th, 2011 13:32

Ditto, wouldn't have taken that long either it's not that far from me.

The Hooded Claw Jun 6th, 2011 13:39

It does "beg the Question" as to what the Organisers of said Event actually "Think" of us "Non VOC Members"....

Perhaps they are of the Opinion that we are "Not Worthy" of bringing our Vehicles to "Their" Event (Because we are NOT VOC members) ..

Then Again ..Well over 80% of the problems on here are Answered by "Non VOC Members" ....

I can see a "Class" system developing here .. "Oooo Your NOT a member ?? Go away you repugnant little person" .....

Here Hang on ..... I know what it is ...... We don't know the SECRET VOLVO SALUTE .... You know the one ... you meet another member & yer do a funny dance Drop yer Trollies & blow a Pink Balloon up wiv yer Arse.!!!!!!

nigel335 Jun 6th, 2011 14:59

re Tatton Park

To all complaining re lack of non voc members being informed of Tatton park event.
May I point out the calendar on this website. the details were and are there.
Members and non members alike can view what is going on through out the year and around the country.
Not all events are on the calendar because I do not get informed about them all I even put non VOC events that I feel are of interest to members and forum users.
I would point out this was not a VOC arranged event.
I feel an apology is owed by those criticising the club over the lack of advertising of this event. It was advertised. Please also take into account that until I introduced the calendar just over a year ago the fact that some events were advertised was lost in the number of threads

Nigel Ayling
140 Register Keeper
Director
Event Diary Manager

The Hooded Claw Jun 6th, 2011 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by nigel335 (Post 922115)
To all complaining re lack of non voc members being informed of Tatton park event.
May I point out the calendar on this website. the details were and are there.
Members and non members alike can view what is going on through out the year and around the country.
Not all events are on the calendar because I do not get informed about them all I even put non VOC events that I feel are of interest to members and forum users.
I would point out this was not a VOC arranged event.
I feel an apology is owed by those criticising the club over the lack of advertising of this event. It was advertised. Please also take into account that until I introduced the calendar just over a year ago the fact that some events were advertised was lost in the number of threads

Nigel Ayling
140 Register Keeper
Director
Event Diary Manager

Sorry Nigel I cannot aggree with your Statement above for several reasons

1. EVERY single "Other" event has a Sticky posted for all to see (YES I did Check!)

2. The very fact that your Associate Douglas has found it necessary to post a Thread ref the AUG Event underlines this fact

3. The fact that Douglas "apologised" for "Not Blogging" much (ref the Event) again proves our point

4. Introducing the Calendar does not Gaurantee "Viewing" from Members. where-as a "Sticky" (like 99% of all other events) DOES.

There have (& Still are) on this Forum been Members expressing Dis Satisfaction with the Annual BKV being held so far South, do you not think that if we (Members say North of Birmingham) had known about the Tatton event We would have "passed it up"???....

Most certainly we would not have, further, you are making an assumption that all members know how to Navigate around the forum ... This is Not so I know many member on here who are able to "Find" their Section & little else.

You asked for an Apology I will most certainly apologise fer "Taking the Micheal" (ref the "Funny Dance" Quip) ... SORRY!!! it was an attempt to "Lighten the Mood" somewhat.

At this time I can tell you where "Most" "Meets" are taking place in the UK (Because ALL OF THEM are "Stickied" in the Main Forum) Am I going to attend them ???? Probably NOT (Some are too far to travel & in this day & age with Petrol pricing as it is I prefer to wait until a "Closer" meet is/Has been arranged)

Which brings me to my final point This is from the "Link" in the Events Diary

Quote:

Cheshire Auto Promotions car show
Tatton Park Knutsford Cheshire WA16 6QN
For further details see www.cheshireautopromotions.co.uk

There are camping facilities for tents and caravans at Tatton Park - by prior arrangement with the show organisers.
VOC member Douglas Hughes is hoping to put together a club stand at this show if any member is able to assist Douglas or would like to support the club by attending the event please contact Douglas at douglas@douglashughes6.wanadoo.co.uk

Nigel Ayling
Events Diary
Does it say we (the VOC) are putting a stand up ??? NO IT DOES NOT it says Douglas is HOPING to put together a Stand ........it is a SINGLE POST there are no "reminders" no " Hey guys come & support us at the Tatton Show" (IN FACT IT DOES NOT EVEN MENTION (in the POST) WHERE THE SHOW IS!!!!)

Whilst I do understand you have More pressing matters than Posting on the Forum But "Making a "STICKIE" for such an important event takes what 15 Seconds ???? ... And the fact that is was "accessable" to most "Northern Members" was just Poor judgement on the part of the events Dept.

You have made us "northern & Scottish Members" feel like the "Poor Relations" here & when FINALLY there is an Event that we can attend you don't tell us about it & then shuv the blame BACK onto us (when we complain) for NOT looking in the Diary !!!!

Sorry Nigel you made a "Boo Boo" here ..... & I THINK in yer heart you know that too!!!

OK Lets just "Put it to Bed" now Eh!? but Please in future if there "Something" ANYTHING up here .... SHOUT IT FROM THE DAMNED ROOF TOPS if yer have to ... but DO TELL US !!!

Regards

Keith (Aka The Hooded Claw)

mikealder Jun 6th, 2011 18:47

Keith, Looks like we will have to put up with locally organised meets which have been very well supported of late, Pennington Flash 03/07/11 looks good to me, just need to post it up in the "Meetings & Events" section.

As a note to Nigel, I do check the calender from time to time and the Tatton Park event didn't appear to be much, the "Sticky Thread" approach is far more productive in terms of turn out and far easier for forum users to spot, it also gets more "Hits" pushing the thread back in view for other forum users to spot when using the "Unread Posts" or "New Posts" options, the calender looks like an "add on" to the forum with no true integration - Mike

The Hooded Claw Jun 6th, 2011 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikealder (Post 922223)
Keith, Looks like we will have to put up with locally organised meets which have been very well supported of late, Pennington Flash 03/07/11 looks good to me, just need to post it up in the "Meetings & Events" section.

As a note to Nigel, I do check the calender from time to time and the Tatton Park event didn't appear to be much, the "Sticky Thread" approach is far more productive in terms of turn out and far easier for forum users to spot, it also gets more "Hits" pushing the thread back in view for other forum users to spot when using the "Unread Posts" or "New Posts" options, the calender looks like an "add on" to the forum with no true integration - Mike

Yer Quite Right Mike the Calendar does look VERY like an "After Thought!!!"

I tell yer Mike I am VERY VERY TEMPTED to set up "Volvo Owners Organisation" (VOO) I've run VB forums fer over 11 Years now & We know someone whio has a Server (DON'T WE!!!!!) ..

Keith

foggyjames Jun 6th, 2011 23:21

Could this have been better promoted? With hindsight, probably yes. Are they ways of making your point without shouting your head off? Absolutely. We're all volunteers, so a little patience and understanding wouldn't go amiss.

Maybe this would've gone better if you'd volunteered to be a forum events liaison for the region, rather than criticising? Splinter groups are nothing new. I maintain that it's better to get involved and help rather than shouting from the sidelines.

cheers

James

black and tan Jun 6th, 2011 23:27

I think that has put him in his place ,nicely said james

The Hooded Claw Jun 7th, 2011 00:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyjames (Post 922490)
Could this have been better promoted? With hindsight, probably yes. Are they ways of making your point without shouting your head off? Absolutely. We're all volunteers, so a little patience and understanding wouldn't go amiss.

Maybe this would've gone better if you'd volunteered to be a forum events liaison for the region, rather than criticising? Splinter groups are nothing new. I maintain that it's better to get involved and help rather than shouting from the sidelines.

cheers

James

I Did / Have several weeks ago CTC Network NEVER Replied to my PM Offering my Help / Services Ect ect.

And I am not "shouting from the Sidelines" James I am Saying / Doing what alot of members on here are thinking. Except in MY case I have the "Out going" type of Character / Personality that enables me to actually SAY what needs to said & not sit back on my Hands.

Moreover I am NOT Criticising ANYONE I mearly replied to a post that stated (In a VERY NICE way) .. "Well Stuff you lot, it aint our fault if yer didn't read the Calendar" Where-as EVERY other Single Event is STICKIED into the Main Forum.

Look James, I have always found you to be fair in your judgements (Like T'other nite with EmmDee) ... I don't Rant & rave on & swear in my replies I just say what needs to said in (what I consider) to be fair & balanced way.

But you & I both know that for months now People up in Scotland & the North have been Whingeing about the Distances they would have to travel to meets that are (To us) Waaaayyy down South. & then completely out of the blue we find a "presdidiious" Event has taken place within easy reach of most of us & ITS THE ONLY ONE NOT STICKIED INTO THE MAIN FORUM.

Put yerself in our shoes ... HOW WOULD YOU FEEL ?????

The Hooded Claw Jun 7th, 2011 00:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by black and tan (Post 922498)
I think that has put him in his place ,nicely said james

EXCUSE ME fer crawling out from under my Rock ..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

foggyjames Jun 7th, 2011 00:48

The national has been at York twice in recent years. It's been down south for a few years, but finding venues really isn't easy. If you have any ideas, I'm sure the guys will be all ears...but bear in mind it needs to accommodate caravans, and provide something for all the family.

I'm sure the reason it wasn't stickied had nothing to do with regional bias, nor anything to do with non-members. There is a debate about how open you make club events to non-members (generally speaking the major club-organised events are open for all to attend, but you have to be a member to 'show'), or else there's no point in joining....and yes, of course there are certain perks given to members (again, why else have membership?)...but that doesn't extend to preferential treatment re: event promotion, as Nigel has already said.

There's a stickied thread linking to the calendar. If you spot something you think should be stickied...let someone know, and we'll sticky it. There's no conspiracy...we're just busy and might not notice all these things! As for your offer...Des does a huge amount around here, and might not notice everything. If you can find the message in your sent items, drop me a line with it...

cheers

James

brodgar Jun 7th, 2011 07:20

hooded claw

quote ""Doing what alot of members on here are thinking.""" end quote

Where is the poll that prooves that statement??
Who have you asked what they are thinking and what was their response??
Which percentage of forumusers does that represent??

Until you come up with the substantiated proof that you are the representativ of "" a lot of members""" you are merely an agressor shouting from the sideline

acshortt5 Jun 7th, 2011 10:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by brodgar (Post 922614)

Until you come up with the substantiated proof that you are the representativ of "" a lot of members""" you are merely an agressor shouting from the sideline

Well I for one agree with Keith. If the event had been stickied in the events section it would have attracted more attention and quite possibly a better turnout.

I think it would be more productive to discuss the ideas put forward than to descend into bickering. The phrase you selectively quoted is a "turn of phrase" used commonly up North rather than a serious, scientific statement of fact.

If you want to descend into bickering I could mention that Forest Row is in East Sussex so I could sensibly ask what a meet in Tatton Park has got to do with you but I'm not that way inclined.

The Hooded Claw Jun 7th, 2011 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by brodgar (Post 922614)

Not getting into that ^^^^^ What other Members discuss with ME is Bugger all to do with you or anyone else fer that matter....

Now GO AWAY

dooghoog Jun 7th, 2011 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyjames (Post 922490)

cheers

James

I hope I'm not seen as setting up a splinter group! This was the first bite at the cherry and I had no idea how it was going to go. I also have no idea what anyone is talking about with 'stickers' and stuff online?

The Hooded Claw Jun 7th, 2011 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooghoog (Post 922748)
I hope I'm not seen as setting up a splinter group! This was the first bite at the cherry and I had no idea how it was going to go. I also have no idea what anyone is talking about with 'stickers' and stuff online?

Don't worry Doug I aint (& never would) have a go at you mate but your post does highlight one of the things I stated in my previous post (That some Members are "unfamiliar" with using the forum to its full extent)

Keith

The Hooded Claw Jun 7th, 2011 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dooghoog (Post 922748)

Don't worry Doug I aint (& never would) have a go at you mate but your post does highlight one of the things I stated in my previous post (That some Members are "unfamiliar" with using the forum to its full extent)

Vis (From my "reply" Post on page 1)

Quote:

you are making an assumption that all members know how to Navigate around the forum ... This is Not so I know many member on here who are able to "Find" their Section & little else.
Keith

Notlob Jun 7th, 2011 13:52

Am I missing something here but is the clue not in the title "VOC @ Tatton Park"

I'm not a member of the VOC but am a member of this forum but would not dream of trying to muscle in on the VOC stand.

I went along to the show as I do most years, parked my Amazon on the public car park and paid my £7.50 to get in, would suggest any of you could have done that. Presumably any of you could also have got tickets for the show to display your car or could even have arranged a "club" stand for the forum.

To all who organised and arranged the VOC stand I'd say well done, you had a great variety of cars on display and it was a credit to you. Might even think of joining the VOC now!

Dave

foggyjames Jun 7th, 2011 13:54

When I mentioned splinter groups, I was referencing Keith's comment about setting up his own club. I would very much welcome anyone setting up an event, whether under the VOC banner or not, and I'm sure we'd be happy to help promote it.

In fairness, not *all* events get stickied...generally only the major ones. If everything was stickied, it'd rather defeat the object...

Bottom line here? The calendar ought to be better promoted better. That's the team's problem. It would be good to have threads in the events section. Whether that's Nigel's job as events co-ordinator, the event organiser's job, or the members' job as "people who are excited about attending an event they've seen in the calendar"...is up for debate. I would tend to suggest that it's probably best for the event organiser to produce that thread (if organised online), and I'd normally expect members to say "ooh, there's an event near here in two weeks...who's going?", etc.

I won't disagree that the calendar ought to be better promoted. There's a stickied thread linking to it, but I think it's still fairly well hidden. We'll have a think about it.

cheers

James

brodgar Jun 7th, 2011 15:40

hood claw

Not getting into that ^^^^^ What other Members discuss with ME is Bugger all to do with you or anyone else fer that matter..

as you refer to what other members think and blabber that out on the forum

i am well in a position to refer back to your statement..

I will promote to get you banned from the forum

The Hooded Claw Jun 7th, 2011 17:38

Quote:

The words "Duck, Back, Water, Off spring to mind

By All means you endulge yerself & go right ahead with that

But do please bear in mind I too COULD do the same to YOU!!!!!

The Hooded Claw Jun 7th, 2011 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notlob (Post 922793)
Am I missing something here but is the clue not in the title "VOC @ Tatton Park"

I'm not a member of the VOC but am a member of this forum but would not dream of trying to muscle in on the VOC stand.

I went along to the show as I do most years, parked my Amazon on the public car park and paid my £7.50 to get in, would suggest any of you could have done that. Presumably any of you could also have got tickets for the show to display your car or could even have arranged a "club" stand for the forum.

To all who organised and arranged the VOC stand I'd say well done, you had a great variety of cars on display and it was a credit to you. Might even think of joining the VOC now!

Dave

Dave I wasn't advocating we "Muscle in" on the VOC stand I was stating that some VOC members have some very beautiful Classic Volvo's & I fer one (& many others on here) would have visited the show with the sole intention of seeing Said Classic Volvo's & meeting some of their proud owners ect .. Had we Known about it !!

Keith

deathrider311271 Jun 7th, 2011 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by brodgar (Post 922870)
Not getting into that ^^^^^ What other Members discuss with ME is Bugger all to do with you or anyone else fer that matter..

go for it i can tell u now u havent got my support, im with keith all the way with this:thumbs_up:

deathrider311271 Jun 7th, 2011 18:06

if this calender is so well organised where is our monthly meet?? i dont see it in any of the months

Notlob Jun 7th, 2011 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw (Post 922944)
would have visited the show with the sole intention of seeing Said Classic Volvo's & meeting some of their proud owners ect .. Had we Known about it !!

Well that's easy - just check any of the classic car mags or look on the internet. There are classic shows on all around the Country every weekend.

Dave

The Hooded Claw Jun 7th, 2011 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notlob (Post 923028)
Well that's easy - just check any of the classic car mags or look on the internet. There are classic shows on all around the Country every weekend.

Dave

Fair Point Dave .... Fair point Well made Mate !!!

Keith

andy_d Jun 7th, 2011 20:37

Just a random here.

"Sticky" threads are as keith and foggy say A way to inform even more folk , with the + and - points both have put forwards.
The link to the Calendar in the top bars under the logo’s can get missed as the main focus of folk is the forums “below”

Sticky threads do allow those who browse to notice the event/events But cause the organiser duplicate work, and if one gets missed off the list, or no info is popped up (duplicate work and all that).

Similarly an announcement within the “events” main forum would cause extra work And get cluttered with all of the events if one per event was used.

Perhaps A single announcement , with the link direct to the calendar at the top of the Events forums though, may serve to point folk to there Before the threads in the forum / child forums.

Something along the lines of

“What’s on - This months Events Click <here>”

With <here> being the hyperlink to the calendar.

Folks can then still start the “I’m going to “x” on the “Y” who else ?” threads, and the After action reports can still appear as normal, with the larger events still being sticky as now. But we all get a “in our face” reminder to check the calendar for the events. It being a permanent forum announcement at the top of the events and child forums sections.

Personal view only here,
The Stickys work well , the normal threads work well, and the announcement about the BKV location change works very well (thanks on that score, means i can now get to a BKV, as its localish to me).
The only thing that’s missing is some way to direct those folk that browse the forums threads , below the main logo and links

cumbrianmale Jun 7th, 2011 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy_d (Post 923093)
Just a random here.

"Sticky" threads are as keith and foggy say A way to inform even more folk , with the + and - points both have put forwards.
The link to the Calendar in the top bars under the logo’s can get missed as the main focus of folk is the forums “below”

Sticky threads do allow those who browse to notice the event/events But cause the organiser duplicate work, and if one gets missed off the list, or no info is popped up (duplicate work and all that).

Similarly an announcement within the “events” main forum would cause extra work And get cluttered with all of the events if one per event was used.

Perhaps A single announcement , with the link direct to the calendar at the top of the Events forums though, may serve to point folk to there Before the threads in the forum / child forums.

Something along the lines of

“What’s on - This months Events Click <here>”

With <here> being the hyperlink to the calendar.

Folks can then still start the “I’m going to “x” on the “Y” who else ?” threads, and the After action reports can still appear as normal, with the larger events still being sticky as now. But we all get a “in our face” reminder to check the calendar for the events. It being a permanent forum announcement at the top of the events and child forums sections.

Personal view only here,
The Stickys work well , the normal threads work well, and the announcement about the BKV location change works very well (thanks on that score, means i can now get to a BKV, as its localish to me).
The only thing that’s missing is some way to direct those folk that browse the forums threads , below the main logo and links

Cracking idea I'll get onto it!

stevo48 Jun 7th, 2011 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by brodgar (Post 922870)

Why would you want to do that?
Just because another member speaks his mind and you do not like what he has said, thats a bit childish in my opinion.

cumbrianmale Jun 7th, 2011 20:41

There is a new stickied thread for the August event.

This has now decended into pointless arguement so will be closed.

At the end of the day this wasn't a VOC or Volvo forums event, it was a "Cheshire Auto Promotions Car Show" and Doug a non forum user spotted it and arranged a club stand. I say well done him for getting a good turn out.

Unfortunately Cheshire Auto Promotions didn't promote it here and it only had a passing mention on the calender. Let's leave it at that and promote and arrange an even better turn out in August.