Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Boost cut? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294039)

SamP94 Apr 21st, 2019 00:25

Boost cut?

My 98 940 2.3 lpt is hitting a boost cut at 0.6 bar(8/9 psi). I have read about people taking the little 13c to 1bar without any issues. Anything specific to check that could be causing this? Or is there any way to bypass it? Or is this normal? Tia

Laird Scooby Apr 21st, 2019 10:44

The clue is in the "LPT" bit - Low Pressure Turbo.

Most only run to about 4-6psi from what i understand and the HPT runs to about 8-9psi.

The other question is, do you really mean boost cut? That is controlled by the ECU and (depending exactly how it's set up) cuts the fuel and/or spark when boost exceeds a certain level.

It sounds as if you already have an HPT wastegate in there, allowing it to boost to 8-9psi, i might be wrong on this as i'm not that well up on the turbos - i subscribe to the "there ain't no replacement for displacement" theory! :thumbs_up:

Mattty Apr 21st, 2019 11:21

Are you using a manual boost controller to set the boost?

SamP94 Apr 21st, 2019 12:11

Sorry should have mentioned running a manual controller. Definitely some sort of boost/fuel cut just like hitting a wall for a brief moment

Mattty Apr 21st, 2019 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamP94 (Post 2514778)
Sorry should have mentioned running a manual controller. Definitely some sort of boost/fuel cut just like hitting a wall for a brief moment

You're right in your inital post about running the 13c to 1 bar easily, I did so in my LPT without issue. Can you boost past 8/9PSI in any gear? Like drive at 40 in 3rd and do a slow, smooth acceleration to slowly raise the boost?

SamP94 Apr 21st, 2019 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattty (Post 2514810)
You're right in your inital post about running the 13c to 1 bar easily, I did so in my LPT without issue. Can you boost past 8/9PSI in any gear? Like drive at 40 in 3rd and do a slow, smooth acceleration to slowly raise the boost?

Unfortunately not, however its driven it will do it. Only way around is to turn the boost back down

mocambique-amazone Apr 21st, 2019 18:44

Manual control is prone to produce a peak of boost while raising up the boost.
Long and small diameter hoses will help to produce this mail function.
With a electronic one or the HPT waste gate you won't have this problem.

Happy Easter, Kay

barkster1971 Apr 21st, 2019 20:22

air

You should definitely not be hitting boost cut at 10psi or even 14 psi on a 13c turbo as it doesn't flow that much air.
The amm reaches it's voltage limit as it needs more power to heat the wire ia a large mass of air is moving across it.
If it feels like you head is about to hit the windscreen then that is boost cut. Juddery movement is probably the mbc working .
Have you got a proper boost gauage fitted?

SamP94 Apr 21st, 2019 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by barkster1971 (Post 2514871)
You should definitely not be hitting boost cut at 10psi or even 14 psi on a 13c turbo as it doesn't flow that much air.
The amm reaches it's voltage limit as it needs more power to heat the wire ia a large mass of air is moving across it.
If it feels like you head is about to hit the windscreen then that is boost cut. Juddery movement is probably the mbc working .
Have you got a proper boost gauage fitted?

Boost gauge fitted, chinabay thing but works, its 100% a boost cut it only does it at 0.6 bar for a split second. Any other time it runs and drives spot on

T5Sweep Apr 21st, 2019 20:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone (Post 2514848)
Manual control is prone to produce a peak of boost while raising up the boost.
Long and small diameter hoses will help to produce this mail function.
With a electronic one or the HPT waste gate you won't have this problem.

Happy Easter, Kay

Hose diameter won't make a difference.
Nor will using a different actuator, boost cut is in the fuel/ECU chips, changing mechanicals won't make a blind bit of difference.