Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   V40 D2 - Sept 2017 Cutting out at junctions. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=273758)

Rappers Oct 12th, 2017 22:02

V40 D2 - Sept 2017 Cutting out at junctions.

Hi, just got my new V40 D2 on the 26th Sept 2017 and wishing the first 10 days and 800 miles it had cut out 4 times approaching junctions or roundabouts, so by that I mean clutch down going down a gear to 2nd, looking at the junction releasing the clutch to engage and finding myself with no power, all the lights on the dash, and press start on the dash board. By this stage I'm in the junction with cars around me. Today 12 oct at 1300miles it happened for a 5th time at 30mph joining a roundabout going into 3rd.

Volvo offered me a temporary car for 3 days but unable to see it in my local garage for 20 days Guildford , do the math. So managed to get it to be looked at next week at Winchester but no temporary car. I am not impressed with Volvo so far or the after car service! Anyone any idea what the problem maybe before they comeback with no fault found which is what I expect.

Many thanks.. David

Rooster Oct 13th, 2017 00:08

Loose battery terminal maybe,

Does it restart on its own when you dip the clutch??

Notice any warning lights on when it happens??

Rappers Oct 13th, 2017 09:44

I will look at the terminals.

You have to press the "Start" button every time to get it going again, as it doesn't seem to have a anti stall that kicks in like my Honda did. (which I only stalled about twice in 70k miles)

The warning light are all light on the dash board the same as when you first turn your ignition on. but its hard to notice as its blind panic as I'm trying not to get hit in rush hour traffic at the time as you can imagine. I have seen a couple of posts on FB to Volvo but they were just told to ring customer services and there was no results, so I was wondering if any one had heard anything? its a lease car and leaseplan doesn't want to know and I'm stuck for 4 years.

cheers

tomweston Oct 13th, 2017 10:57

stalling

I have stalled my 2013 D2 a couple of times but as soon as I depress the the clutch peddle the engine restarts, quite clever I thought.

Acer Oct 14th, 2017 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rappers (Post 2326990)
I will look at the terminals.

You have to press the "Start" button every time to get it going again, as it doesn't seem to have a anti stall that kicks in like my Honda did. (which I only stalled about twice in 70k miles)

The warning light are all light on the dash board the same as when you first turn your ignition on. but its hard to notice as its blind panic as I'm trying not to get hit in rush hour traffic at the time as you can imagine. I have seen a couple of posts on FB to Volvo but they were just told to ring customer services and there was no results, so I was wondering if any one had heard anything? its a lease car and leaseplan doesn't want to know and I'm stuck for 4 years.

cheers

Brand new car and this happens. My Volvo dealer would definitely have sorted me out with a loan car. Put your foot down and insist they find you a temporary vehicle. How on earth can a car come out the factory like that. Poor show Volvo.

jimboelliott Oct 14th, 2017 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rappers (Post 2326889)
Hi, just got my new V40 D2 on the 26th Sept 2017 and wishing the first 10 days and 800 miles it had cut out 4 times approaching junctions or roundabouts, so by that I mean clutch down going down a gear to 2nd, looking at the junction releasing the clutch to engage and finding myself with no power, all the lights on the dash, and press start on the dash board. By this stage I'm in the junction with cars around me. Today 12 oct at 1300miles it happened for a 5th time at 30mph joining a roundabout going into 3rd.

Volvo offered me a temporary car for 3 days but unable to see it in my local garage for 20 days Guildford , do the math. So managed to get it to be looked at next week at Winchester but no temporary car. I am not impressed with Volvo so far or the after car service! Anyone any idea what the problem maybe before they comeback with no fault found which is what I expect.

Many thanks.. David

I’ve had something similar. I have a S60 D2. New February 2016. It cut out 3 times at the same place, over a 10 month period, and I had to press start button to start engine. It did it whilst turning right onto a side road, without stopping.Foot on clutch, coasting into the side road. Took to dealers, they said they have done a software upgrade, but same fault occurred again, same place. So now I leave in gear to go into the side road and it is ok. But I bet if I coasted into the side road, it would probably stall again.

Acer Oct 14th, 2017 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimboelliott (Post 2327494)
I’ve had something similar. I have a S60 D2. New February 2016. It cut out 3 times at the same place, over a 10 month period, and I had to press start button to start engine. It did it whilst turning right onto a side road, without stopping.Foot on clutch, coasting into the side road. Took to dealers, they said they have done a software upgrade, but same fault occurred again, same place. So now I leave in gear to go into the side road and it is ok. But I bet if I coasted into the side road, it would probably stall again.

So an issue on some manual cars it seems. Have you tried disabling stop/start and seeing if the problem disappears?

jimboelliott Oct 15th, 2017 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acer (Post 2327505)
So an issue on some manual cars it seems. Have you tried disabling stop/start and seeing if the problem disappears?

No I haven’t, but I will try that next time thanks.

volvo for ever Nov 21st, 2017 16:30

ive seen missing nut from positive fuse bolt before and just making contact and no more .also see clutches collapsing at 50 miles

good luck

Clan Nov 21st, 2017 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimboelliott (Post 2327494)

The stop/start comes into operation under the conditions you describe , coming to a rest below 5 mph ...