Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   The return of "English English" (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=297510)

Philip Fisher Aug 11th, 2019 18:08

The return of "English English"

So, ever since I have had my car I have had the rather charming message on the central console saying "Hood Ajar" whenever I open the bonnet. I always thought that "Hood Ajar" could also be the name of the Swedish man who made my car!

Just noticed the other day when I opened the bonnet that it now says "Bonnet Ajar". Can only assume this was at last software install which was at last service which is at least 9 months ago now. Can't believe it has taken me this long to notice.

So on one hand I feel that the replacement of American-English with English-English is a very good thing. On the other hand I feel very sorry for Mr Hood Ajar. Maybe he got sacked.....?

Quacker Aug 11th, 2019 19:06

Mine has never woken up, because I do not recall ever yet opening the bonnet while sitting in the car or with the ignition on. Perhaps I should wake him from his slumber should he still reside there?

Philip Fisher Aug 11th, 2019 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2543907)
Mine has never woken up, because I do not recall ever yet opening the bonnet while sitting in the car or with the ignition on. Perhaps I should wake him from his slumber should he still reside there?

Hood Ajar always made himself known to me, even if the ignition was off.

Lexman8 Aug 11th, 2019 19:11

Now if only Volvo and pretty much every other organisation would learn the difference between 'complimentary' and 'complementary'.

Quacker Aug 11th, 2019 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philip Fisher (Post 2543910)
Hood Ajar always made himself known to me, even if the ignition was off.

Maybe, but I have thus far only ever opened the bonnet while stood outside the car. Never have I looked at the dash while the hood or bonnet were actually ajar or even open.

Zebster Aug 11th, 2019 20:25

Does the sat nav on SPA models properly pronounce 'Oxford'? My earlier model pronounces it as 'arcs-ford'.

marsdalebear Aug 11th, 2019 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2543936)
Does the sat nav on SPA models properly pronounce 'Oxford'? My earlier model pronounces it as 'arcs-ford'.

Have you heard it pronounce Peterborough??:shocked:

Zebster Aug 11th, 2019 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by marsdalebear (Post 2543969)
Have you heard it pronounce Peterborough??:shocked:

Nope. How bad is it?

Whaty Aug 12th, 2019 10:21

Quote:

Have you heard it pronounce Peterborough??
My Surname ends with 'ough' so I can imagine :regular_smile:

marsdalebear Aug 12th, 2019 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebster (Post 2543972)
Nope. How bad is it?

Try chewing and saying Peterborough at the same time.