Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   XC90 wheel size (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322622)

DRJH Jan 7th, 2022 16:38

XC90 wheel size

I recently bought a second hand XC90 (MY2016).

Unfortunately my son feels quite carsick on long journeys and wondering if a change in wheel size might help - current wheels are 21 inch, and you can certainly feel the road more than I expected.

I enquired at my local Volvo dealership about 19 inch wheels and was told they didn't think the car could accommodate less than 20 inch, though didn't seem 100% sure (they checked the online accessories webpage and couldn't see them listed, plus they mentioned something about whether brake calipers could handle 19 inch wheels).

I was surprised at this as I thought 19 inch was the standard wheel size, though of course it may be that the car was manufactured with 21s and other components were changed beyond just the wheels.

Can anyone advise on whether they think 19 inch wheels might be possible? Thanks

Lexman8 Jan 7th, 2022 16:52

It depends upon the exact model of XC90 (and engine) you have so let us know.

DRJH Jan 7th, 2022 17:00

Thanks. It's actually MY15 and it's a 2.0 D5 225 Inscription 5dr AWD Geartronic if that helps

XC90Mk1 Jan 7th, 2022 17:45

I am no fan of large wheels as I think they ruin the ride quality, get kerbed way too easy and frankly when I see these persons with R-Desogns and huge wheels it often goes hand in hand with the boring git accountant with a beer belly getting down with the kids.

That said I doubt very much that the 21” would make a difference to car sickness and you will find they are quite desirable.

Lexman8 Jan 7th, 2022 18:11

I have a MY2017 D5 Momentum and afaik the same wheels fit this and the Inscription version. The exception is cars with the T8 engine as they have larger calipers and certain wheels won't fit. My car came with 19" wheels but for winter use I fitted approved Volvo 18" wheels and tyres without any issues.

Follow this link for the various wheels which should fit your car: https://accessories.volvocars.com/en.../2016/D5%20AWD

Note that XC90 MkII cars produced in 2015 are actually MY2016. (Volvo changes its model years in advance in April so, for example, cars made after April 2016 are MY2017.)

As XC90Mk1 says, I'm not sure how much of a difference smaller wheeels would make.

Hoot Jan 7th, 2022 18:41

Not sure what tyre pressures you run on yours, but I'd go for the lower end to soften and dampen the road out a little. Garages tend to put the eco pressures in them circa 39psi at the top end, better mpg but worse ride by far!
If that doesn't help get a balance and alignment check as that can sort minor in balances which can manafest into slight wobble or shake that the kid might be picking up on.

Hope you get it sorted as our kids love ours.

Hoot Jan 7th, 2022 18:43

FSA, We run 20' in the winter and 21's in the summer on a none air suspension model

Philip Fisher Jan 7th, 2022 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lexman8 (Post 2798288)
I have a MY2017 D5 Momentum and afaik the same wheels fit this and the Inscription version. The exception is cars with the T8 engine as they have larger calipers and certain wheels won't fit. My car came with 19" wheels but for winter use I fitted approved Volvo 18" wheels and tyres without any issues.

Follow this link for the various wheels which should fit your car: https://accessories.volvocars.com/en.../2016/D5%20AWD

Note that XC90 MkII cars produced in 2015 are actually MY2016. (Volvo changes its model years in advance in April so, for example, cars made after April 2016 are MY2017.)

As XC90Mk1 says, I'm not sure how much of a difference smaller wheeels would make.

To build on what Lexman says. There were 2 styles of 19inch wheels. 6 spoke and 10 spoke. 6 spoke fit all XC90 variants. 10 spoke only fitted the D5 and T6. 19s were standard on momentum spec. Inscription had 20s as standard.

Some 18s can fit D5 and T6 (but were never offered as standard)

Once you move to 20s then these fitted everything.

I am not sure but I think by the time you got to 22s you needed arch extensions.

I deliberately ordered a lower spec car to get the 19 inch wheels. They are so much more forgiving. Over 130k miles there is not a single kerb rash mark on any of my 2 sets of wheels. There is plenty of lovely fat rubber tyre sidewall to touch the kerb first. I will concede though, they don't look as good.

Dohnut Jan 7th, 2022 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 (Post 2798283)
I am no fan of large wheels as I think they ruin the ride quality, get kerbed way too easy and frankly when I see these persons with R-Desogns and huge wheels it often goes hand in hand with the boring git accountant with a beer belly getting down with the kids.

Wow, just wow.

Philip Fisher Jan 7th, 2022 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dohnut (Post 2798309)
Wow, just wow.

Are you an accountant 😁?