Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   V40: location of engine coolant sensor for display (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=221966)

BortherBear Jan 18th, 2015 12:42

location of engine coolant sensor for display

First of all - sorry for my English, it is not my native tongue, so I would be very grateful if you won't mock me about grammar and spelling. Thank you in advance about that!

So, I have searched all over this and other forums, but still haven't found answer and solution to my problem.

I have Volvo V40 1998 T4 and the problem is, that I can't see correct engine coolant and oil temperature. Engine coolant temperature is 68 (celsius) and oil temperature all the time is displayed as "cold".

What have I done so far. I replaced engine coolant sensor and thermostat, however nothing changed in dashboard. The sensor is working and via Elm327/Torque I can see correct temperature (city traffic 85-90; highway +/-80). Friend of mine told me, that there must be another sensor, exclusively for dashboard. Nevertheless, I can't find it and it is driving me mad.. so maybe there isn't another sensor and problem is somewhere else?

So, I would be extremely grateful if someone could shed some light on this issue.

happy diver Jan 18th, 2015 13:48

Hey, you just won the S B T M E S o H, Speaks Better Than Most English Speakers on Here, award.

Congratulations, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, roar, roar, roar.

We may have to start calling it, T T U T B T E @ L
That that used to be the english@language.com.au

BortherBear Jan 18th, 2015 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy diver (Post 1829659)
Hey, you just won the S B T M P o H, Speaks Better Than Most Poms on Here, award.

Congratulations, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap, roar, roar, roar.

We may have to start calling it, T T U T B T E L
That that used to be the English language.com.au

Pax vobis. I have been mocked about my English in other forums, therefore since then I always start a thread with this disclaimer.

However, do you have something to say about mentioned above technical problem?

happy diver Jan 18th, 2015 14:14

Yeah, Allāhu Akbar, starting threads like that will bring the crap
of a thousand camels raining from the sky.

As far as answering your query goes, read my signature
and wait for someone smart to join the thread.

BortherBear Jan 18th, 2015 14:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy diver (Post 1829691)
Yeah, Allāhu Akbar, starting threads like that will bring the crap
of a thousand camels raining from the sky.

As far as answering your query goes, read my signature
and wait for someone smart to join the thread.

Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur :)

DXMachina Jan 18th, 2015 15:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by BortherBear (Post 1829592)
Friend of mine told me, that there must be another sensor, exclusively for dashboard. Nevertheless, I can't find it and it is driving me mad.

Your friend was wrong

Whats more likely is that there is damage to the wiring loom, such as a short circuit or broken wire, which makes the display and the ECU unaware of the exact temperature

This is a real hazard as the cooling fans are also controlled by this sensor and will not protect you if the engine starts overheating

Have a look at the wiring loom under the radiator - a lot of important signals pass through there and it is known to be a weak point in the system as the dampness can cause wires to split and rust

[EDIT] - As Cheshired5 points out below, I've missed a vital point, and as such this post is nonsense !!!! Ignore it.

cheshired5 Jan 18th, 2015 16:04

It sounds like ECU is aware though because torque can communicate and get a temp reading.
The problem is that the dash doesn't know it.

cheshired5 Jan 18th, 2015 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by BortherBear (Post 1829708)
Vir sapit qui pauca loquitur :)

A wise man who speaks little
(according to Google translate):)

BortherBear Jan 18th, 2015 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 1829790)
It sounds like ECU is aware though because torque can communicate and get a temp reading.
The problem is that the dash doesn't know it.

You are correct. ECU can read actual temperature, but in dash is displayed 68 celsius. This friend, who told me that there might be second sensor, also said that it is because of digital dash - cars with analog gauges in dashboard have only one. So I am quite confused about all of it. What is more - where is this mysterious oil temperature sensor?

BortherBear Jan 18th, 2015 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 1829791)
A wise man who speaks little
(according to Google translate):)

If I am not mistaken - wise is the man, who speaks a little :)