Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   V70: Information What is the "ECC"? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=289564)

Jinxie Dec 11th, 2018 19:18

What is the "ECC"?

Hi all,

I've been going through all the fuses in my V70 on the look out for anything amiss. I have found one 5A fuse (I think it's number 26 under the glove box) which blows immediately every time I replace it. The owner's handbook says this fuse protects the alarm siren and ECC circuit. Can some kind soul please inform me what on earth an ECC is, please?

Thanks!

Jinxie Dec 12th, 2018 00:31

Seems it's the electronic climate control. It's drawing too much current for some reason, so I'll have to remove the unit. Hope it's not going to be a pain!
I kind of notice not having a heater in winter!

ShadeTek Dec 12th, 2018 00:46

Could be your blower motor? What is the year/model of your car?

Jinxie Dec 12th, 2018 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadeTek (Post 2474956)
Could be your blower motor? What is the year/model of your car?

It's a 2008 V70 D5. This fuse-blowing business obviously connects with the fact that all the heater/air-con/climate control stuff is currently not working. I'll have to pull the relevant module out and inspect it carefully....
Seems ECC problems are quite common with Volvos.

Jinxie Dec 12th, 2018 01:44

Getting late here now so I'll sign off for today, I think.
Cheers!

Clan Dec 12th, 2018 10:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinxie (Post 2474863)
Hi all,

I've been going through all the fuses in my V70 on the look out for anything amiss. I have found one 5A fuse (I think it's number 26 under the glove box) which blows immediately every time I replace it. The owner's handbook says this fuse protects the alarm siren and ECC circuit. Can some kind soul please inform me what on earth an ECC is, please?

Thanks!

maybe your siren is faulty

Jinxie Dec 12th, 2018 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2475024)
maybe your siren is faulty

Could be. Either the siren or the ECC; they're both fed off this one fuse. Weather's pretty horrible today so I'm going to investigate further tomorrow and Friday. Try to find some point after the fuse where the two circuits diverge and test them individually. A simple resistance check should quickly show up which of them is at fault. Hopefully it'll be the siren, because I don't bother locking the car up here on this island and indeed most people here don't either. I can just yank that feed out of circuit and get on with something more fulfilling. ;)

Clan Dec 12th, 2018 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinxie (Post 2475090)
Could be. Either the siren or the ECC; they're both fed off this one fuse. Weather's pretty horrible today so I'm going to investigate further tomorrow and Friday. Try to find some point after the fuse where the two circuits diverge and test them individually. A simple resistance check should quickly show up which of them is at fault. Hopefully it'll be the siren, because I don't bother locking the car up here on this island and indeed most people here don't either. I can just yank that feed out of circuit and get on with something more fulfilling. ;)

does the siren work? might save some time ! The wiring does not work like that it is a computerised muliti-network system .. would be helpful to see the wiring diagram ..

Jinxie Dec 12th, 2018 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2475112)
does the siren work? might save some time ! The wiring does not work like that it is a computerised muliti-network system .. would be helpful to see the wiring diagram ..

Neither the siren nor the ECC will work when a new fuse blows straight away. I suppose it could be argued that since the siren is only ever rarely activated the most likely cause of the problem lies in the ECC, but there are few certainties these days what with MUX and stuff making simple things unduly complicated.

Waynedance Dec 12th, 2018 19:19

Do you ever get the "alarm system service needed" or something like that pop up?

The siren is a common fault, the internal batteries leak.