Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   "City safety" problem? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264856)

Billggski Mar 12th, 2017 17:18

"City safety" problem?

Twice when driving up to a 30kph telepeage near Geneva this week the city safety feature applied the brakes suddenly because it read the 2 metre height barrier as an obstruction. Anyone else had this problem? I've switched it off as it could easily have confused a car behind me.

NigelDay Mar 12th, 2017 17:39

Not had this problem. Just this weekend have driven in a multi-storey car park with a 2m barrier (as I have done several times before) and there was no issue.

wimorrison Mar 12th, 2017 19:37

Never had this, I drive 4 days a week into a car park with a similar sign and it has never caused any issue.

Clan Mar 12th, 2017 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billggski (Post 2247079)
Twice when driving up to a 30kph telepeage near Geneva this week the city safety feature applied the brakes suddenly because it read the 2 metre height barrier as an obstruction. Anyone else had this problem? I've switched it off as it could easily have confused a car behind me.

Have you had the software updated lately? Continuous improvements being made to the system as volvo get more data in from the cars .

spriteobey Mar 12th, 2017 20:34

I've had City Safety activate a few times when there wasn't any obstruction.

Billggski Mar 13th, 2017 08:57

Serviced at main dealer last month. It seems the flat plates hanging down to the two metre height in the sanef 30kph lane look like a solid object to the the sensor.
Quite scary when it happens.

Clan Mar 13th, 2017 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billggski (Post 2247330)
Serviced at main dealer last month. It seems the flat plates hanging down to the two metre height in the sanef 30kph lane look like a solid object to the the sensor.
Quite scary when it happens.

I would still ask them to check the CVM software is the latest ...

TheLeeds Mar 13th, 2017 20:30

This is quite worrying and could have interesting legal implications in the event of someone crashing into the back of a car under these circumstances.
You've probably all heard the urban myth that if you crash into the back of the car in front, it's always your fault. Well that's not strictly true. There are many exceptions, such as when the driver in front brakes suddenly for no justifiable reason (road rage, crash for cash, stupidity, etc). One precedent case involved a driver stopping to avoid running over a fox. The court held this was not a good enough reason and said this driver was at fault. I'm wondering what would happen if an accident claim went to court where a car had suddenly stopped without any driver input, and who the defendants would be.
I reckon it might be an interesting decade as the 'driverless' technology gets more popular.