Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Electrical: Extra dial pod on 240... (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=260712)

peckham Dec 11th, 2016 22:24

Extra dial pod on 240...

So have a 90 240 and realsied that it has an extra set of 3 dials at the top of the centre consul that other cars dont seem to have - OIl pressure and stuff -these have never worked so never bothered me. But how mych are a hassle are these to wire up, assuming that they were not part of the cars OE?

Cheers

Antz Dec 12th, 2016 11:44

They are original equipment and quite rare.

If you go to www.240.se and find the correct instruction book then you can wire them up. Unless the gauges have gone bad which they might have done.

Derek UK Dec 12th, 2016 15:00

For oil pressure and water temp you will need to find matching senders.

Bugjam1999 Dec 12th, 2016 16:13

I'd guess the senders will be there, as they would have been fitted by Volvo if the car came with the gauges originally.

Find the oil pressure sender which is screwed into the block behind the alternator on the right hand side of the engine. Does it have two spade connectors coming out of it or just one?

loki_the_glt Dec 12th, 2016 19:26

The oil pressure sender should have two - one each for the gauge and the oil pressure warning light.

If there's an oil TEMPERATURE gauge the sender for it is built into the sump plug and that might have been replaced at some time. The oil temperature gauge is rarer than an honest politician, never mind a hen's teeth.

If there's an outside temperature gauge the sender sits under the front spoiler, often hidden behind the towing eye cover but it could be anywhere up front; the easiest thing is to trace the yellow(IIRC) wire from the gauge.

If you take out the glove box you can access the back of the gauge pack quite easily.

Which leaves the question of what the third gauge is.

Angie Dec 12th, 2016 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2207889)

Which leaves the question of what the third gauge is.

Econometer, perhaps? I have a pod and two gauges, voltmeter and econometer, and would quite like an oil pressure gauge. Then find someone to re-position the radio and fit them all! I already have an ambient temperature gauge, positioned below the clock. That was easy, managed it all on my own. I've meandered on here before about how my engineer father didn't approve of the reliance on warning lights and even our ancient Austin Tens and Twelves had an array of gauges..My lovely dad is influencing me still, more than forty years after he died!

peckham Dec 13th, 2016 15:59

Thanks all, let me check tonight and see what they are, then I can think about getting them wired up- I am assuming they are all electrical rather than vacuum operated ?

I do not think this set was OE for my car, as they do not light up either, so I do not think they are wired into the loom at all

Thanks

Stephen Edwin Dec 13th, 2016 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckham (Post 2208278)
Thanks all, let me check tonight and see what they are, then I can think about getting them wired up- I am assuming they are all electrical rather than vacuum operated ?

I do not think this set was OE for my car, as they do not light up either, so I do not think they are wired into the loom at all

Thanks

From what little I know, those additional dials especially in a mounting for a right hand drive car are sought after. You have acquired a serious bonus with your car. Well done! Many sellers would have asked for a premium on the price of the car. I hope and urge that you find, instate, reinstate the wiring and sensors. If anything is misisng, let it take its tme in being found by you.

Does the seller from whom you bought have any misisng wiring or sensors that they forgot to hand over?

You might find any replacements sur le continent?

Good luck.

peckham Dec 13th, 2016 22:43

oK,we have ( R-L) Econometer, Volts, Oil Bar.

now have to dig around to ssee if theese can be wired up as above.

they are angled towards the driver, so are def. RHD issue

cheers

loki_the_glt Dec 13th, 2016 22:54

The voltmeter can be piggy-backed to any ignition-live circuit - I had mine wired to the HRW switch. The oli-pressure sender is a large drum that replaces the original switch, but the econometer is presumably a vacuum gauge that fits into a hole tapped in the inlet manifold (as my GLT doesn't have one of these).