Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   12v car kettles (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309981)

mark2410 Sep 15th, 2020 21:50

12v car kettles

was thinking of getting one, anyone used one? they any good?

tbh im kinda worried that the car may not like something so high wattage even if they are supposed to be fine, anyone expeciance with them, especially fro a v50 would be interested to hear

GrantV50 Sep 16th, 2020 00:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 (Post 2665186)
was thinking of getting one, anyone used one? they any good?

tbh im kinda worried that the car may not like something so high wattage even if they are supposed to be fine, anyone expeciance with them, especially fro a v50 would be interested to hear

Got one for the motorhome, waste of time.
Use an insulated mug if you want a hot drink whilst your out and about.

Kev0607 Sep 16th, 2020 00:17

Or a decent flask & insulated mug. :teeth_smile:

green van man Sep 16th, 2020 06:22

I use insulated mug and stainless steel flask in work. Landrover I carry a Coleman petrol stove and whistling kettle along with the frying pan for the bacon sarnies.
Many of my friends have switched from gas stoves to the Coleman after watching mine boil a pint of water in 2 miniuts while they are still warming the gas cylinder in winter.

For occasional use you can get a gas stove for under £10 probably less than a 12v kettle that if they work will take a long time and risk burning your wiring out. By design your cigarette lighter socket is an 8A intermittent load unless you have a dedicated 20A socket as some commercials have.

Paul.

Robbie34 Sep 16th, 2020 13:17

I purchased one a few years ago to make a cup of tea on my way through France. Total waste of money. After over a half hour, the water was still lukewarm and I never made a cup of tea. Better get a small gas stove that will boil water in a few minutes.

SwissXC90 Sep 16th, 2020 14:29

A standard kettle uses around 1000 watts of energy to heat the water

A car cigarette lighter can only supply 12V x 10A = 120 watts.

So they just don't work well at all. Take forever and chew through the battery power.

SignumGB Sep 16th, 2020 15:08

I use a Kleen Kanteen flask. Keeps the water piping hot for at least 8-10 hours! I did used to carry a jetboil with me but got fed up having to set up at the road side.

Welton Sep 16th, 2020 15:10

We use a large Stainless Thermos when we go to Middlesbrough (3 hrs away) and I preheat it with a good swill round with boiling water first.

Last time when we got back home after a 10 hr day the leftover water was still too hot to touch, gotta love the simple old fashioned tech.

gillberry Sep 16th, 2020 16:09

Hubby is a Volvo HGV driver, he has one for when away in the Lorry. Takes a while to boil but does the job

Tannaton Sep 17th, 2020 11:16

Have tried one before, takes about 20 mins to boil 1 cup! As has already been explained, the maximum power you can pull through the fag lighter socket is crica 120 watts, that's 5%-10% of the heating power of your kettle at home.

I would suggest your options are:

1 - Small gas stove and kettle, need to stop & get out.

2 - Power Inverter connected directly to the battery and a low wattage (say 600w) travel kettle such as this : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Swan-SK19...QAAOSwSeVd6N1p

Choose an inverter with a capacity of at least x2 that of the load.

Clearly option 1 much cheaper than option 2.

GMcL Sep 17th, 2020 20:57

+1 for an inverter.

I've got one I've had for about 10 years has two 230V plugs and a 5V USB port at the side. Using both plugs will supply 600W each, using a single plug can deliver 1200W

11-15V DC delivers 230V AC

Most 12V car points are rated at 180W.