Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   ABS control unit repair (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=7414)

CTCNetwork Nov 19th, 2006 18:21

Hi,
Quote:

Originally Posted by jod t5 (Post 168603)
seems reasonable price des, although im sure wobbly dave on the vpcuk is cheaper.....my brain is spinning...maybe i could set up a business doing this and making flashing code readers....:Banane59:
cheers
jod

You probably could. :D

I have one of those "intermittent" ABS faults on my V90...
Usually comes up with code 155 which is an issue with rear sensor wire/cable.
Have had this checked and there was no issue, so the ABS unit was pointed to as the likely culprit (this being the aluminium box fitted under the driver dash)...
Have a second hand one fitted, and have to wait and see...

Des. . . ;)

kevinbis Nov 19th, 2006 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry_cunnane (Post 170378)
Hi,

How do you remove the silicon layer? Do you just heat it off or something like that?

Terry

I used a craft knife and softly cut the silicon without marking the board around the joints marked. then used tweezers to lift the silicon layer away.
The silicon layer is like a gel so gentle cutting just makes it neeter.

Phil45 Nov 19th, 2006 19:08

I

found removing the silicone the hardest bit

Removing ABS ECU - easy
Cutting in half - had to use a normal hacksaw on the long sides (carefully) and a junior on the shorter sides - Fairly easy
Removing silicone - Tedious
Soldering joints - No way without the magnifying glass (poor eyesight) - not too bad
Aralditing together - Easy
Siliconing joints - Easy
Re-fitting ABS ECU - Easy

Roadtesting and finding the light working correctly - Priceless

Downside - Ruined tablecloth with glue on it, and a spilt cup of tea due to high speed hacksawing lol

:Dancing_sorry:

Jod T5 Nov 20th, 2006 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil45 (Post 170409)

Downside - Ruined tablecloth with glue on it, and a spilt cup of tea due to high speed hacksawing lol

:Dancing_sorry:

well done phil, a good job well done...shame about the tea tho....:mumbles:
cheers
jod

Jod T5 Nov 20th, 2006 07:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTCNetwork (Post 170379)
Hi,

You probably could. :D

typical des, a opportunity of a cottage industry and im late.....:hissyfit:
its good to see people involving themselves in areas which for so long have been a "closed shop"....
cheers
jod

cookie Nov 25th, 2006 21:45

DIY electrical repairs

Brilliant Info, all I need now is a free "rework your ETM" and I'd be happiest volvo T5 owner in britain:speechless-smiley-6

ben

Lmason Nov 26th, 2006 23:42

abs faulty unit

i have a problem with mine, the abs sometimes works and sometimes doesnt. is it a common fault the dry joints in the ecu unit?
les mason

Chris_Rogers Nov 27th, 2006 08:48

More than common it happens to 95%+ of them, but only on the Teves unit made between '95 and 2000, the earlier ones have there own problems.

AlanB Nov 30th, 2006 11:15

Hello all,I've just had my rear sensors replaced and still the light is on. Although the entire system is not registering any faults on the diagnostic ( obd in front of the gear stick). It seems then that this is the fault. i really don't fancy arsing about soldering it myself. How much would a replacement unit be??
Mine is a 1996 850 2.5se.
cheers
Al.

silverback02 Dec 3rd, 2006 12:55

Hi all,

When I first joined I needed info and help finding something, So I posted on several veh sites (only supposed to post once), whilst I wasn't TOLD OFF I was asked why so many? My answer was

"Incase someone with the info I require doesn't read the S80 notes."

So when I needed to find out about my ABS / STC problem and how to get a repair done to my ECU I posted once on the S80 pages.

I did get assistance and eventually sent it away to ECU-TESTING.COM costing £100 and a three day turn around.

But if someone could have pushed me in this direction I could have saved that £100 and not risked driving around with no ABS / STC and all my lights lit up for three days.

Congratulations and well done to all that attempted and completed their own repair and thank you all that contributed to this post.

I think a link to this post should be placed in the GENERAL topics for EVERYONE to see and read under FAQ for ABS / STC.

Well done everyone.

Joe