Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Engine: D5244: Vida Test Results for injectors - opinions? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=199238)

MisterP Feb 17th, 2014 12:34

Vida Test Results for injectors - opinions?

2 Attachment(s)
I'm still trying to solve my ECM-6805 issue.

(2003 S60 D5, 143,000 miles)

Had a quick test on vida at the injectors - what do people think? I've seen other similar results from people on here. I've not done a physical leak off test yet. Opinions please? Car starts fine, revs fine, pulls hard, no smoke, no stalling, plenty of power and response. I get the error at about 3,000 rpm if the engine temperature is not fully up to temperature. If the engine is hot 30 mins+ driving it doesn't tend to fault.

cheshired5 Feb 17th, 2014 18:19

I doubt you have a leaking injector causing the warning.
I had a seriously incontinent injector which caused me starting problems and that showed no error code.
Is your car going into limp mode when the warning comes up?

MisterP Feb 18th, 2014 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 1585646)
I doubt you have a leaking injector causing the warning.
I had a seriously incontinent injector which caused me starting problems and that showed no error code.
Is your car going into limp mode when the warning comes up?

Yes, goes into limp mode. There seems to be no set time the limp mode remains - sometimes clears in seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes until I turn the car off and back on.

Been out in the car today, no fault, but didn't boot it until fully hot. Plenty of power, wheel spin in second after accelerating (not from standing start) so too much for the car to handle really. No fault. I suspect either EGR possibly - which should show up its own fault, more likely to be the turbo being sooted as I've replaced and checked just about everything else.

I'm debating whether to put some sort of cleaner in with the fuel as someone else reported success with that - see if it alleviates the problem at all. And when it's warmer weather remove the turbo and clean it manually. I see you can buy the vanes on ebay for about £100.

It's just getting the turbo off the car. My dad has the XC70 and that looks like a nightmare to remove the turbo on it.

MisterP Feb 18th, 2014 17:56

Done the same injection test on a XC70 today and got the same results.

I assume now that VIDA isn't interpreting / talking to the car properly.

Thanatos Feb 18th, 2014 18:36

if the vanes are sticking get on a long open road and at 20mph put the car in third and floor the throttle for 10 seconds and it will open there vanes up do this 3 or 4 times and see what it does

MisterP Feb 18th, 2014 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanatos (Post 1586298)
if the vanes are sticking get on a long open road and at 20mph put the car in third and floor the throttle for 10 seconds and it will open there vanes up do this 3 or 4 times and see what it does

Will do.

I've done it in 4th gear going from 35 to 70 or so and the engine service required flashed on, then cleared itself again. Engine was warm but not up to full operating temp. If the engine is fully upto operating temperature I'm pretty sure it doesn't fault / go into limp mode.

If the EGR valve was sticking - does this produce its own code?

I'm also looking at XC70 at the moment (my dad's) and that has a hole in the EGR pipe that goes to the exhaust manifold. Lots of hissing and lots of fumes in the engine bay. Fault is low flow on EGR and ECM-6805. I think if we cure the EGR flow by replacing the pipe, we may get rid of the ECM-6805 on that car.

cheshired5 Feb 18th, 2014 20:20

Plus one for Thanatos suggestion for the turbo.
I can't help thinking though that your symptoms also sound like a steadily malfunctioning MAF......

MisterP Feb 18th, 2014 20:24

I have cleaned the MAF, it was slightly oiled up. Didn't seem to make much difference.

I've replaced the Governor at a hefty cost, it hasn't cured it. I would ideally like a working MAF to swap in and try before spending more money. The plan of attack is to fix the XC70s EGR, hoping that will cure the ECM6805 on that car and then I know the MAF will be working, and I can swap it over to test on my S60.

Wouldn't the MAF produce its own code if it was going faulty?
How can I test / produce a graph in VIDA to look at the results over a drive?

cheshired5 Feb 18th, 2014 21:41

You're right. The MAF will, or at least should produce it's own fault. It did on my Autel code reader so certainly should on Vida.
Sorry for the blind alley. I suppose I was just thinking aloud.
Have you cleaned out the EGR mixer assembly? It's produced some noticeable results for some and there's some dramatic pics here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94139

MisterP Feb 18th, 2014 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheshired5 (Post 1586424)
You're right. The MAF will, or at least should produce it's own fault. It did on my Autel code reader so certainly should on Vida.
Sorry for the blind alley. I suppose I was just thinking aloud.
Have you cleaned out the EGR mixer assembly? It's produced some noticeable results for some and there's some dramatic pics here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=94139

Yes, cleaned the mixed plenum although not the whole EGR cooler, the actual valve / actuator itself. I'm debating whether to do this. The mixer plenum wasn't too bad, it's still clean-ish recently with only a little running oil deposit.