Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Has online car sales killed haggling ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309882)

swil00 Sep 13th, 2020 00:21

Has online car sales killed haggling ?

I've not been near a car dealership for a long time now.

Recently, I've been looking at a few 3 year old S90 and V90's, but nobody seems to be willing to move on price, main dealers and other used car places.

Has the art of haggling been killed off by the likes of carwow and other online companies ?

I'm aware that dealers are keen to sell finance, but one dealer told me the screen price is the best that can be done and the only movement would be with trade in.

Harvey1512 Sep 13th, 2020 08:49

I can only hope so. I hate haggling, are you really sure you are getting the best price or is the dealer playing you still? Having a fixed price means you are more likely to be getting the correct price straight away rather than an artificially high price that then gets knocked down accordingly.

Haggling has disappeared in most areas, car sales is just catching up to modern times.

Zebster Sep 13th, 2020 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by swil00 (Post 2664403)

Recently, I've been looking at a few 3 year old S90 and V90's, but nobody seems to be willing to move on price, main dealers and other used car places.

Has the art of haggling been killed off by the likes of carwow and other online companies ?

I'm aware that dealers are keen to sell finance, but one dealer told me the screen price is the best that can be done and the only movement would be with trade in.

That was exactly my experience when buying a 3-year old Kia late last year from a main dealer, the salesman was very pleasant and helpful but absolutely refused to budge on price unless I could show him a cheaper local trade example (which, to be fair, I couldn't). However we did haggle significantly over the trade-in allowance on my wife's previous Toyota and ended up getting about double what I expected!

GMcL Sep 13th, 2020 09:00

Or, human nature being what it is, you get the artificially high price for everything with some artificially high prices being higher than others.

The older I get the more I ask for a discount on most things with the exception of grocery shopping because the person operating the till has no authority to discount.

I got £150 off a £600 watch by asking for the managers discount.

green van man Sep 13th, 2020 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by swil00 (Post 2664403)

Daughter did a deal with a suzuki dealer by telling him what she had seen the car for on car wow. His sticker price was 3k more. She drove off the forecourt with a pre registered car having saved 4k off the sticker price and a grand off the car wow price.

I saved a grand and a half by traveling to Newcastle on Tyne for my volvo, the car I wanted, at a price I deemed fair and cheaper than I could get localy.

Landrover I did not haggle over, it was a private sale and a very fair price so no point. I looked it over, test drove and paid.

Any deal is a good one if both parties are happy with it.
<irrelevant political comment removed>
Paul.

DaveNP Sep 13th, 2020 10:30

I didn't haggle over my last three car purchases, but then with the advantage of the internet, with the price of virtually every car at my fingertips, I didn't bother even looking at cars that I thought were overpriced. Prices have always been subject to market forces, anything is only worth what someone will pay and if a competitor has it cheaper that's where the business goes, in the old days a car salesman would know what his local competition were doing, both on price and service levels and would price accordingly, nowadays everyone can know what everyone is doing so the upfront price has to reflect that.
In terms of trade in the best deal I got was on my Renault Espace when I didn't trade in the Proton we had, the dealer had one on his forecourt already so when I asked the salesman if he really wanted another he was glad to be off of the hook and got me a big discount for money transferred bank to bank immediately by phone.

swil00 Sep 13th, 2020 15:11

Thanks for all the responses.

I still find it a little bizarre looking at used cars knowing there is likely to be no wiggle room. That said, I wouldn't go in asking for their "best price" either.

I'm not looking to trade in, so I would have thought that might be a bonus for the place selling.

I have noticed that the well priced cars, or cars marked at under market value sell very quickly. Perhaps this is due to the lack of negotiation on higher priced examples.

I'll just need to keep and eye out and get in fast !

eternal optimist Sep 13th, 2020 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by swil00 (Post 2664522)
Thanks for all the responses.

I still find it a little bizarre looking at used cars knowing there is likely to be no wiggle room. That said, I wouldn't go in asking for their "best price" either.

I'm not looking to trade in, so I would have thought that might be a bonus for the place selling.

I have noticed that the well priced cars, or cars marked at under market value sell very quickly. Perhaps this is due to the lack of negotiation on higher priced examples.

I'll just need to keep and eye out and get in fast !

No trade in is likely to be a disappointment to the dealer - good used cars are currently in demand, and even if they don’t want to retail in, auction prices are v high at the moment for anything decent.

Wagon Sailor Sep 14th, 2020 00:16

I never found haggling over car prices an enjoyable experience. Buying or selling, I'd have my price, stick to it - and be prepared to walk away. There were exceptions over the years, but not many.

On the other hand, I have asked sellers to throw in 'extras' to an agreed price. Asking a dealer for a fresh MoT is one example.

Of course, haggling of a sort does still exist in the car game - particularly when buying insurance.

Welton Sep 14th, 2020 09:58

I notice certain Car Supermarkets have attractive pricing, I once bought a 4 year old Astra from a car supermarket and the guy said they only make a small profit on each car (£200.00) but shift high volumes.

I guess trade-ins are attractive to dealers because most people cave in and virtually give the car to them for cheaps and then a local 'broker' car dealer will come along pay the dealer more for it and make some profit.