Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   2006 V50 2.0 Sport buying advice (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=182049)

joelmacdonald Jun 7th, 2013 21:37

2006 V50 2.0 Sport buying advice

Hello all.

Great forums here, with a very active user base! Well done to whoever keeps this going.

Anyway, cutting to the chase, I'm looking at purchasing at 2006 Petrol 2.0 Sport. 70k. Petrol.

I had a look tonight in and about the car and looks very tidy for its age. Alloys are a bit scuffed but nothing to terrible.

Will be going back tomorrow for a test drive and to chat figures.

What should I be looking for? I've never bought a car in my life! Can't believe I'm 25 and never owned a car. Got a little one on the way in October so need to upgrade the wifes Ford Ka.

One thing I've notice is that in all the 2006 literature I've found on the main site, none of it seems to mention a 2.0 petrol ?

Am I looking at the wrong thing? Anything else you need to know?

x DTR x Jun 7th, 2013 22:51

If it's a 2.0ltr, it will be a diesel. What sort of mileage has it got on it?

joelmacdonald Jun 7th, 2013 23:16

Really? According to the quick reg check I did on the DVLA tax site its listed as a petrol? And the garage has it listed as petrol.

71,000. Its a 56 plate if that makes a difference?

SonyVaio Jun 7th, 2013 23:32

As DTR points out if it is a V50 your looking at then you don't get a 2.0 petrol.

Petrol Variants: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Diesel Variants:

1.6, 1.8, 2.4 & 2.5 . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.6, 2.0, 2.4

Make sure you clarify what engine you are looking at, each and every car and every manufacturer has their common problems but overall the V50 is a good car.

See how you get on with the test drive and report back prior to putting your money down on it. If it is the diesel then make sure you specifically ask if it has or has not got a DPF Filter. If it has one then ask the last time the actual DPF was changed and then separately ask the last time the EOLYS fluid was changed. The EOLYS is a refill every 37,500 miles (@ approx. £100 - £150) and the actual DPF requires a change every 75,000 miles at a whopping £1000!! So it is a MUST of a question to know how long you've got until the next change is due. If you can see documentary evidence then all the better.

As you can see it can be a major influence in actually buying the 2.0D if it does have a DPF. You can use it to barter down the price or even have the garage change it as part of the sale if it is due a change? As the one you are looking at has got 70,000 miles I'm guessing it may even be half the reason the car has been sold by the previous owner.

:star-wars-smiley-01

x DTR x Jun 7th, 2013 23:33

Sorry i think i stand corrected, didn't realize they did a 2.0ltr in petrol! Either way, make sure the air con and stereo are working ok, Hopefully, someone will be along shortly to give you more advice on the mechanical things to keep an eye out for!

Ps, sony beat me to reply so take his more expert advice.

joelmacdonald Jun 7th, 2013 23:35

Why would the DVLA have it down as a petrol though when you do a reg check?

SonyVaio Jun 7th, 2013 23:36

Have you got a link to the sales site? We can then look and advise.

:star-wars-smiley-01

joelmacdonald Jun 7th, 2013 23:36

No worries DTR. Will check air con and take a cd to test the stereo and speakers!

Worried now that it is a diseasel! Not bothered if it is but I was attrated to this as I've seen very little 2.0l petrols for sale on auto trader.

joelmacdonald Jun 7th, 2013 23:37

Here's a link to the car.

http://www.newmacharmotors.co.uk/use...01319512774407

x DTR x Jun 7th, 2013 23:46

If it does turn out to be a diesel, preferably with no Dpf and everything seems ok with it then i would defiantly go for it. The 2.0ltr Diesel has a turbo and has got some serious shunt!