Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Brakes: 70: Handbrake shoes delaminating (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286434)

capt jack Sep 14th, 2018 13:32

Handbrake shoes delaminating

1 Attachment(s)
So fresh back from a holiday in the Lake District, our S70 left an impressive tyre mark all down the road earlier this week, when the off-side rear wheel locked up.

The culprit was found to be a delaminated handbrake shoe - see photo. Goodness knows what might have happened if the lining had actually broken away!

As it was, no other damage was done, and it was all fixed quickly and easily.

Jack

Clan Sep 14th, 2018 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt jack (Post 2447571)
So fresh back from a holiday in the Lake District, our S70 left an impressive tyre mark all down the road earlier this week, when the off-side rear wheel locked up.

The culprit was found to be a delaminated handbrake shoe - see photo. Goodness knows what might have happened if the lining had actually broken away!

As it was, no other damage was done, and it was all fixed quickly and easily.

Jack

always wise to change these every time the rear discs are replaced , use genuine volvo shoes ,

byootox Sep 14th, 2018 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2447575)
always wise to change these every time the rear discs are replaced , use genuine volvo shoes ,

In this instance, I'm in agreement especially with these cars.
I find this is an issue with a lot of these style parking brakes on various makes and models.
It's like the lining doesn't seem to hold the inside of the disc well on a lot of the aftermarket even though the handbrake feels tight enough.
This seems to be more of a friction issue than an adjustment issue.

Tamworthbay Sep 14th, 2018 21:10

When drum brakes are the only braking system on a wheel then they get cleaned every time you brake as the friction between drum and shoe and resulting retardation removes small amounts of the compound (and drum). They therefore wear down and get replaced. With the drum in disc system they only go on and off when static (or should do) and the wear that is actually useful doesn’t happen. I bet loads of cars are still on the original shoes despite being twenty or more years old. As said above, the only thing to do is to change them when the discs are swapped (or possibly in conjunction with pads?). I don’t know of any car with the drum in disc system where they don’t play up sooner or later.

Clan Sep 14th, 2018 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by byootox (Post 2447676)
In this instance, I'm in agreement especially with these cars.
I find this is an issue with a lot of these style parking brakes on various makes and models.
It's like the lining doesn't seem to hold the inside of the disc well on a lot of the aftermarket even though the handbrake feels tight enough.
This seems to be more of a friction issue than an adjustment issue.

yes would agree there , the volvo shoes are special soft high friction shoes as they never actually stop a rotating drum .. cheap ones are probably normal brake drum friction linings which are harder and less friction hence poor parking brake when fitted .

good point , a good idea to use the parking brake once a week to actually slow you down before coming to a stop ...

DSK Sep 18th, 2018 12:55

In addition to backup what Clan said....

I changed my rear brake shoes when I changed the rear discs and pads as I doubt they may have ever been changed. when we took off the drum, the existing handbrake shoes had started to break off and delaminate in small pieces.

Aslo another vote for OEM Volvo handbrake shoes as other after market ones are a bit of a PITA. I tried Pagid only to have them replaced at the next service with OEM volvo which have been sweet.