Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Power Assisted Steering feels heavy at idle. (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308409)

Auto Addict Jul 29th, 2020 22:35

Power Assisted Steering feels heavy at idle.

Hi all
I've had this PAS issue on my 2009 XC60 D5 AWD Manual for a few months now and it manifests itself as PAS feeling heavy but only at idle... I can not stress enough this is only evident at idle and not always either. For example... on morning cold start ups the PAS feels fine, even at idle (most likely due to higher idle RPM ) to when it's fully warmed up. Otherwise the PAS is perfectly fine 95% of the time. There are no leaks or untoward noises from the PAS system neither. When fully warmed up I have to gently rise the RPM to around 900-1000 for the PAS system to be active.

Things I've done so far to cure this PAS issue are:

- Full PAS fluid flash / refill (twice) with 2 litres of fresh CHF11S (the old fluid was dark brown) every time. Fluid is now perfect & fresh.
- Brand new "Genuine" Volvo PAS reservoir / fluid bottle (the filter inside the old original reservoir looked a bit mucky)
- Brand new "Gates" Aux belt (even though my XC had the official recall few years ago) ... it was due for another change anyway.
- Brand new "OEM / DAYCO" Aux belt tensioner (even though my XC had the official recall few years ago)... again like the AUX belt it was due for a change anyway.

I've done a search on here but to no avail... I'm wondering if this is an early indicator of PAS pump failure and/or PAS pipes degrading internally.
Any further thought / advise before I'm forced to play "Parts Lottery" would be most appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

80sman Aug 1st, 2020 13:36

My 2010 version is the same and noticeably worse when it's been on a long drive and the oil is hot.

I haven't changed anything yet but was going start ploughing through the old xc70 and xc90 forum for tips as the XC60 switched to electric pas from 2011 onwards I think.

Auto Addict Aug 1st, 2020 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by 80sman (Post 2652343)
My 2010 version is the same and noticeably worse when it's been on a long drive and the oil is hot.

I haven't changed anything yet but was going start ploughing through the old xc70 and xc90 forum for tips as the XC60 switched to electric pas from 2011 onwards I think.

Really ? Are you running your tyre pressures (as I am) on the higher ECO setting of 39 psi ? I've not noticed mine being worse after a long drive when the fluid is hot but that's not to say that it isn't as my PAS is almost dead at idle anyway. Just a thought but... could this point towards the PAS cooler being faulty ? allowing the PAS fluid to over heat and degrade ?
Where is "CLAN" aka Mr. VOLVO Tech when you need him :tongwink:

80sman Aug 19th, 2020 17:25

I doubt the cooler is faulty - I suspect either the fluid is old and needs replacing with new or (more likely) the pump is on the way out and not able to produce the pressure at a a low rpm spin required to operate the steering.

The old oil has probably shortened the life of the pump....

I've started replacing the oil in mine, but it's not really improving it much when hot, I've a couple more changes to do, and I'll update.

Should also say - mines on 128k

Auto Addict Aug 27th, 2020 22:33

I've replaced / flashed the PAS fluid twice in mine without any noticeable improvements using the recommended CHF11S fluid. I've asked a number of non Volvo techs and they all seem to point at the PAS pump being on its way out.
Not the definitive answer I was looking for :confused_smile: but there we are.
Mine is on 151K miles now.

Auto Addict Nov 14th, 2020 12:45

*** PAS pump issues update ***

4 Attachment(s)
Quick Update for anyone with a similar PAS issues ... so after much Umming & Arring I bit the bullet and purchased a replacement BOSCH PAS pump from a reputable UK eBay seller saving a small fortune over what VOLVO or FORD wanted. I had it fitted by one of the Master techs at work as I just didn't have the time or the inclination to get involved with this again having previously fitted a brand new faulty pump which was worst then the old one I removed.
End result is I now have a full working PAS system... especially at idle ... and no further issues with the steering system.
Moral of this story is... get your PAS fluid changed on regular basis (especially if the manufacture doesn't specify regular service intervals) to keep your PAS pump health & happy.

globula Dec 10th, 2020 12:29

Could be also a battery/grounding issue, the ecu is made in such way that if the battery is low it will bypass some systems to power others.

Auto Addict Dec 11th, 2020 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by globula (Post 2688250)
Could be also a battery/grounding issue, the ecu is made in such way that if the battery is low it will bypass some systems to power others.

Hmmm... I don't quite follow your theory :rolleyes: The PAS on my XC60 is hydraulic with a mechanical pump driven by a pulley belt and as far as I can see there are no electrical connections to the PAS of any kind.

Furthermore, fitting a new PAS pump 100% resolved my issue.