Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Five cylinder D3, anyone? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=308470)

Amandas Aug 1st, 2020 00:30

Five cylinder D3, anyone?

Hello all

Anyone here more than me with the five cylinder D3?
I'm curious to know what you all think about your engines and how it holds up. Or any problems you have had, things to look or hear out for or maybe some parts that's good to change to be on the safe side?

Baal Aug 1st, 2020 15:56

I have a 5 cylinder D3 D5204T2 engine. Well there are some minor issues but nothing too scary. First of all the aux belt can snap because the tensioner pulley is too strong, so when replacing the tensioner replace the belt too. Then the fuel pumps on 2010/2011 D3 engines are built very poorly so they eventually start to fail, which is very noticeable when you start experiencing decreased engine performance. You start noticing that right after a finished regen cycle, then after a few thousands of miles they die completely. You should also keep an eye on your radiator fan as they're prone to failure.

Amandas Aug 1st, 2020 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baal (Post 2652359)
I have a 5 cylinder D3 D5204T2 engine. Well there are some minor issues but nothing too scary. First of all the aux belt can snap because the tensioner pulley is too strong, so when replacing the tensioner replace the belt too. Then the fuel pumps on 2010/2011 D3 engines are built very poorly so they eventually start to fail, which is very noticeable when you start experiencing decreased engine performance. You start noticing that right after a finished regen cycle, then after a few thousands of miles they die completely. You should also keep an eye on your radiator fan as they're prone to failure.

Heard about the problems with the aux belt and also the ac belt hitting the timing belt and well that sounds really bad that's for sure. Aux belt changes just some months ago and the tensioners changed 2017 so I hope that it's all good. Haven't heard about the fuel pump problems, that's very good to know! Didn't know about the radiator fan problems either, thanks for the information! But mine definitely works that for sure, I feel like my car sounds like a jet plan when it's really hot outside.

A problem I heard of is the ac-compressor failing, the the ac-belts flies off and it can result in whole engine going bang. Actually I'm in the thoughts of having the magnetic clutch to the ac-compressor changed, my compressor works and I feel like there should be some sound before it fails (at least I hope so) but maybe the bearing in the magnetic clutch to it doesn't do any particular sound before it breaks.

Sotosound Aug 2nd, 2020 14:22

My son has a 2011 XC70 D3 2WD auto and loves it.

He’s been running it for 15 months without any problems and says that it’s the best car that he’s ever had.