Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   V40/XC '12>17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=194)
-   -   Engine air filter issue (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296522)

tomweston Jul 11th, 2019 17:19

Engine air filter issue

I have a 2013 D2 1.6 diesel which I am having great difficulty finding an air filter of the correct length to fit into the air box. Currently installed is a Crossfield filter from Halfords, I purchased the same model from Halfords this month, sadly it is 5mm too long, I have punched two different makes from different suppliers (not Volvo) and have the same problem, 5 mm too long.
Has anybody else had this problem or does everybody buy the expensive Volvo own make?

cheshired5 Jul 11th, 2019 18:07

I'm assuming you mean Crossland which is a brand which should always be avoided.
Please post up the precise dimensions you want in mm.

1. Overall Height/Length
2. Overall Diameter
3. Hole Diameter

tomweston Jul 11th, 2019 19:47

Air filter issue

The filter installed is a Crossland A20425, the same part from Halfords was too long.
The current filter is 155mm maximum diameter, 201mm tall from the rim including the mounting tube, the filter hole internal diameter is 71mm.
Why should Crossland filters be avoided?

cheshired5 Jul 11th, 2019 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomweston (Post 2535578)
Why should Crossland filters be avoided?

They're not highly regarded and as you've found, unreliable with their dimensions even when using what you consider to be the correct part number.
They're also not especially cheap when compared with high quality German filters by manufacturers who Volvo trust to make their own on thousands of cars.

This one by Mann fits the bill and can be delivered tomorrow with Amazon Prime for £12.

I wouldn't bother with anything else to be honest.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1a9d704c_b.jpg

tomweston Jul 12th, 2019 08:49

Air filter

Thank you for the reply, the height at 206mm will not fit my air box which is my problem, I have tried, Bosch, Crossland and Mann filters, all are too long. Looks like a trip to Volvo now.
Thank you for your help.

cheshired5 Jul 12th, 2019 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomweston (Post 2535667)
Looks like a trip to Volvo now.
Thank you for your help.

No problem.
Volvo don't make air filters so their own brand will most likely be made by Mahle, Mann or Bosch who will also stamp their own part number on the filter.
Some clear photos of the markings on a genuine filter would be really useful for this thread so please update when you have your hands on a genuine Volvo one.

tomweston Jul 21st, 2019 19:45

Air filter

The Volvo filter was too long as well??? The service guy at Volvo said that you have to twist the end of the filter to deform it and thus make it shorter to fit in the air box. Never had to this before but it did work.

volvo for ever Aug 11th, 2019 12:33

place your air filter on floor stand ing and gently step on it crushing it ever so gently now it will fit

David Jarman Aug 11th, 2019 12:41

Air filter v40 1.6 D2

Hi there ,
Measure it against old filter if not the same dimensions,
Do not fit this filter,trying to crush could cause particles to end up in engine,
Which is dangerous,you will need to slide it on the Venturi to fit,Hope this helps

cheshired5 Aug 11th, 2019 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo for ever (Post 2543806)
place your air filter on floor stand ing and gently step on it crushing it ever so gently now it will fit

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Jarman (Post 2543810)
Hi there ,
Measure it against old filter if not the same dimensions,
Do not fit this filter,trying to crush could cause particles to end up in engine,
Which is dangerous,you will need to slide it on the Venturi to fit,Hope this helps

See comment #7 above ^^^^^
OP has already fitted the new filter using the advice from the main dealer. The job is done.