Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   engine characteristics in new car (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=291764)

jotka Feb 13th, 2019 14:29

engine characteristics in new car

hi fellow Volvo'ers

I have a feeling that the engine in my S90 D5 has changed a little after first 1800km. I mean - it feels smoother, quieter, a bit more powerful.

Also, the gearbox doesn't rev that much, which was kind of annoying.

Is it just a placebo effect or it may be real? Does the gearbox adapt somehow to the style of the drive?

best
J

Quacker Feb 13th, 2019 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotka (Post 2495245)
hi fellow Volvo'ers

I have a feeling that the engine in my S90 D5 has changed a little after first 1800km. I mean - it feels smoother, quieter, a bit more powerful.

Also, the gearbox doesn't rev that much, which was kind of annoying.

Is it just a placebo effect or it may be real? Does the gearbox adapt somehow to the style of the drive?

best
J

All Diesel engines improve in power, economy and refinement over the first 10,000 to 20,000 miles from new.

The gearbox does learn your driving style. If you drive hard with hard throttle use, the gearbox should eventually sharpen up its changes to suit. For 4wd cars it is possible to return the gearbox to factory default and learning mode simply by accelerating up through 'Offroad' mode until it automatically changes to 'Comfort' mode. There should be a way of doing the same on a front wheel drive car but I am unaware of the sequence required.

Having said that, I am unsure what you actually mean when you say " the gearbox doesn't rev that much". Change the mode to 'Sport' and you will find that the gearbox holds a gear for longer and uses a lower ratio than otherwise. It also sharpens up the throttle response very noticeably.

jotka Feb 13th, 2019 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2495250)
I am unsure what you actually mean when you say " the gearbox doesn't rev that much"

A couple of weeks ago, when I wanted to accelerate quickly, the gearbox revved very high (as for diesel, of course). Today, when I do the same, it shifts sooner to the next gear and it overall feels a lot smoother.

familymangreg Feb 13th, 2019 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotka (Post 2495254)
A couple of weeks ago, when I wanted to accelerate quickly, the gearbox revved very high (as for diesel, of course). Today, when I do the same, it shifts sooner to the next gear and it overall feels a lot smoother.

Assuming your car hasn't been in for any maintenance and had a software update?

:wq

jotka Feb 13th, 2019 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by familymangreg (Post 2495260)
your car hasn't been in for any maintenance and had a software update?

correct :)

gaby Feb 13th, 2019 15:22

Quote:

Same temperature?

Quacker Feb 13th, 2019 15:31

Quote:

Press the throttle pedal harder and faster for a quicker reaction and quite probably a lower gear ratio.

jotka Feb 13th, 2019 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by gaby (Post 2495270)
Same temperature?

well, as I'm thinking about it now, higher revs may be related to a lower temp, indeed.

also, I was - you know - gentle with the car at the beginning, now I accelerate with more vigour ;)

jonnyu Feb 13th, 2019 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jotka (Post 2495293)
now I accelerate with more vigour ;)

Maybe you dropped a blue pill somewhere... :angel_smile:

Deman77 Feb 13th, 2019 17:23

Gearbox adaptive programme or the engine warm up cycle are two most obvious reasons. Mine has improved shifting after updating to nov18 software.

Could also be the fuel. Mine runs noticeably smoother on BP Ultimate, followed by standard BP or shell and the worst is Shell V Power. Those are the only ones I tried. But also you can get bad quality fuel from a petrol pump that has too many contaminants or stale fuel.