Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Text message replies (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292926)

Ropey Mar 17th, 2019 00:41

Text message replies

I have a MY19 XC60 inscription with CarPlay and use an iPhone 7 Plus on the Vodafone network in Ireland....

I rarely plug in for CarPlay... I guess theres no option to enable CarPlay without USB plugin??

As text messages come in whilst driving and without CarPlay, sensus will alert me and read them out... very nice but won’t let me reply?

Not sure if it’s a car, iPhone, Vodafone, location or possibly settings issue that stopping me reply to text messages via the voice command interface whilst driving.

Interested to hear if anyone else has this issue...

Ta

Ringthane Mar 17th, 2019 01:01

This is standard behaviour.

The iPhone over Bluetooth won’t allow you to respond, and from what I can gather, it is a phone issue, in collaboration with Sensus, as my iPhone 7 would allow me to reply in my 2010 XC60.

You have full control however, when connected to CarPlay.

encroute Mar 17th, 2019 01:37

I think this is an Apple issue.
Android (and possibly older BT phones) will allow a reply.
The keyboard is greyed out when moving however.

mr rusty Mar 17th, 2019 08:22

My Samsung S7 certainly replies speech to text just fine.

Kenp8257 Mar 17th, 2019 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringthane (Post 2504960)
This is standard behaviour.

The iPhone over Bluetooth won’t allow you to respond, and from what I can gather, it is a phone issue, in collaboration with Sensus, as my iPhone 7 would allow me to reply in my 2010 XC60.

You have full control however, when connected to CarPlay.

Very surprised to hear that as my Note 9 (like other Android users above) works perfectly with speech text reply.

I wonder if its an Apple thing, as in Apple forcing owners to buy Apple Play?? I'm sure Apple get a kick back from every Apple Play purchased.

Ken (MY17, S90 D4 R-Design)

Ringthane Mar 17th, 2019 17:28

I don’t think it’s that so much as Apple trying to be safe while driving.

They implemented the Do Not Disturb feature a while back, to mitigate calls and texts in the car. I have it disabled while driving, because I thought that it might be preventing me from sending texts over Bluetooth. Unfortunately not.

CoopsSA Mar 18th, 2019 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr rusty (Post 2504976)
My Samsung S7 certainly replies speech to text just fine.

My Sony does. The reply is sent from the car (and received) but in the phone it does state "Not sent. Tap to try again".

Torshen Nov 14th, 2019 18:04

I have an iPhone and have always been unable to reply in the past but in the last few weeks I’ve noticed the feature now works. Has anyone else had the same? I can’t say if it’s the car or iOS because I’ve updated both operating systems in the last 4-6 weeks or so, so might be either.

What was annoying was the first time I had the option and selected “answer” in the car menu it popped up a screen asking me to agree to the T&Cs, which is fine, but then after agreeing it just went back to the normal screen, like it had forgotten I had a message to reply to. And then the next time I was in the car it did the same thing so I wondered if agreeing to the T&Cs wasn’t remembered by the car. So today when I had an incoming text I clicked agree as previously, and like before it forgot about answering so then when I got home I left the engine running and sent myself a text. Sure enough this time it did it properly and I didn’t have to agree to the terms first, tested it dictating an answer and it worked. Hoping that next time I start the car it will have remembered the agreement to the T&Cs now. Bit of a bug on Volvo’s side that.

GTA SOL Nov 14th, 2019 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torshen (Post 2571968)
I have an iPhone and have always been unable to reply in the past but in the last few weeks I’ve noticed the feature now works. Has anyone else had the same? I can’t say if it’s the car or iOS because I’ve updated both operating systems in the last 4-6 weeks or so, so might be either.

What was annoying was the first time I had the option and selected “answer” in the car menu it popped up a screen asking me to agree to the T&Cs, which is fine, but then after agreeing it just went back to the normal screen, like it had forgotten I had a message to reply to. And then the next time I was in the car it did the same thing so I wondered if agreeing to the T&Cs wasn’t remembered by the car. So today when I had an incoming text I clicked agree as previously, and like before it forgot about answering so then when I got home I left the engine running and sent myself a text. Sure enough this time it did it properly and I didn’t have to agree to the terms first, tested it dictating an answer and it worked. Hoping that next time I start the car it will have remembered the agreement to the T&Cs now. Bit of a bug on Volvo’s side that.

Had the same issue. Once you’ve accepted the T&Cs you need to save your settings profile within Sensus - you need to do this before you switch the car off (assuming you have your profile set up NOT to save changes on an ad hoc basis). Then the next time you receive a text, even after restarting the car, you will be able to reply.

Torshen Nov 14th, 2019 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTA SOL (Post 2571982)
Had the same issue. Once you’ve accepted the T&Cs you need to save your settings profile within Sensus - you need to do this before you switch the car off (assuming you have your profile set up NOT to save changes on an ad hoc basis). Then the next time you receive a text, even after restarting the car, you will be able to reply.

Great tip, thank you for that. Would have had me stumped for ages if you hadn’t said, really appreciate it.