Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   200 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Brakes: 240 calipers - are they a pair ? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292936)

Volvoldermort Mar 17th, 2019 12:17

240 calipers - are they a pair ?

3 Attachment(s)
Hi forum !!!

My father purchased these calipers several years ago as spares to the 240 estate; they're refurbished ( i believe ) by XL / Remy.

Now the larger of the two resembles a 240 caliper but i'm questioning the ATE one because it's smaller with different features.

Am i just being a complete idiot ?

Triple-S Mar 17th, 2019 13:34

Admittedly I could be confused (am just in for grub mid changing the calipers on my 145....) but they look completely different to each other. I agree the nearer one in your pic looks like how I remember the 240 one to look, but the other looks far smaller - perhaps only 3 pistons? Unless I'm mistaken that would make it a front caliper for a Volvo Amazon?
Can anybody else confirm.

P

Volvoldermort Mar 17th, 2019 13:42

You are correct - as i said in my post, the top one is smaller but they were packed and sold as a pair.

loki_the_glt Mar 18th, 2019 08:46

The lower one is a 4-piston caliper, which makes it 200-series compatible (except for the very late, ABS-equipped cars) while the other is a 3-piston caliper, which I suspect belongs to an Amazon or P1800. A matched pair they most definitely are not

mocambique-amazone Mar 18th, 2019 11:15

Both are 4 piston calipper.

No 740 is with 4 piston calipper. Maybe in first year.

No Amazon.

I think one is with vented disc, the other not.

So: one is P1800E/ES or 140 (and maybe very early 240, I don't know if they where with solid discs), the other is 164 or 240 early

won't match together.

have a nice day, Kay

loki_the_glt Mar 18th, 2019 12:07

The early 244DL/245DL (up to 1979/80) had solid front discs; all others had ventilated front discs with necessarily thicker front calipers.

Although the mountings are identical the calipers are not interchangeable.

If the original poster's calipers are both 4-piston then it is possible that the upper one is for a 240 - some cars had ATE brakes at one end or the other although every 240 I've worked on had AP-Lockheed (Girling) calipers all-round.

The 900-series cars used sliding-calipers up front as, it would appear, did the 700-series cars so neither caliper is suitable for one of these cars.

Triple-S Mar 18th, 2019 15:08

Unfortunately the numbers cast into 240 (at least) caliper bodies bears no resemblance to the numbers quoted by suppliers like Brookhouse (I know cos I just looked at my spare set - the weekend's 140 calipers had to go back as deposit). Similarly their numbers are not the same as the likes of Skandix, so......
If you as bored/housebound as I am this afternoon (!) have a look at the numbers shown on-line and you will see they say single-circuit calipers for the Amazon range are different to dual-circuit brake cars, Girling and ATE are different front/rear for the 140/164 range, ditto the 240 range (excluding ABS cars which are different again). Note that No CALIPERS AMONGST THESE GO ACROSS THE RANGE!
Therefore my recommendation: note the numbers on yours then take 'em back, if only to ask them to prove what you have.

P