Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Difficulty getting E5 Petrol (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=330395)

Volvo3000 Jan 23rd, 2023 16:04

Difficulty getting E5 Petrol

I am finding it extremely difficult to find E5 petrol in the Northwest area. Shell seems to never have it now and anywhere else like Esso or Tesco sells out very quickly so occasionally have it. Is it safe to use the E10 in a Volvo 940 or 740? I don't know despite the government website saying it's ok. We also have another car that in the handbook says to only use E10 very occasionally so it's causing problems. I also know a few people with more modern cars saying that their car doesn't run right on E10.

The people working at the fuel stations all give different excuses why there isn't any. Some think there's something dodgy going on and that they're trying to phase it out.

Bob Meadows Jan 23rd, 2023 16:36

Had the very same issue in Wigan last week:~
Two stations, one being Asda (garage) the other I think was Esso.
Ended up at Sainsbury's just outside of the town.

Normally use Tesco but too far this time as the low petrol light had been on.
Bob.

Moomoo Jan 23rd, 2023 17:10

I believe all post 1976 Volvos, with the exception of an S/V40 1.8l are fine on E10.
My ‘91, 240 , is fine on it!

Volvo3000 Jan 25th, 2023 00:14

On the government website it says our Mercedes can run on E10, but in the handboook it says to use it only occasionally.

It also says on the government website:

The information is subject to change and we cannot guarantee its accuracy. If your vehicle is fitted with replacement parts this will also affect its accuracy.

DfT and its partners will not be liable for any damage to your vehicle as a result of you using this service.

CosmicBike Jan 25th, 2023 05:48

It is, in response to your original question, safe to use E10. Whether it is any good for your injectors, fuel hoses etc etc is a longer term issue, though there is some evidence that E10 increases moisture content in the system which may well have a detrimental effect.
Personally I run my 240 on E10 with no issues as a daily driver, the V70R gets Esso Supreme 99+ which suits it better than Shell stuff, likewise the Capri for the rare moments it gets started.

rowdy Jan 25th, 2023 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 2874251)
I believe all post 1976 Volvos, with the exception of an S/V40 1.8l are fine on E10.
My ‘91, 240 , is fine on it!

Being more specific are you referring to the gdi unit as there are three different 1.8 engines in the s40 range?

If so is that not more an issue of the direct injection not passing fuel past the valve leading to increased unburnt deposits on the valve seats as opposed to any ethanol content?

Moomoo Jan 25th, 2023 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by rowdy (Post 2874568)
Being more specific are you referring to the gdi unit as there are three different 1.8 engines in the s40 range?

If so is that not more an issue of the direct injection not passing fuel past the valve leading to increased unburnt deposits on the valve seats as opposed to any ethanol content?

I cannot help you further.

I just remember that one of the, post 1976, 1.8 engined was not suitable for E10 petrol.

A one minute Google tells , it’s the 1.8 direct injection engine is not suitable for E10!

rowdy Jan 25th, 2023 09:26

I don’t need help thanks (well, not that sort!)
Just thought I’d mention it as might be helpful to someone, I’ve had two 1.8 s/v40’s, one being a Volvo the other Renault engine (so not the gdi) but have a v50 diesel so it doesn’t affect me personally.

Offgrid Jan 26th, 2023 08:03

We seem to have a number of garages selling E5 in this immediate area.
Waterlooville has Sainsbury's ( which looks to be the cheapest ), An Asda unmanned set of pumps, and a Shell garage. Havant has Tescos, And Leigh Park gas the Point Seven Esso.

If I get the chance, I'll cruiise around them to find the current prices of E5 and E10.

If the price difference id too great, I might try E7.5 - half and half, to keep the price down.