Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   XC70: Electrical Replacing Headlamp Units.w (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=327077)

Ian21401 Aug 12th, 2022 15:25

Replacing Headlamp Units.w

I first raised this issue in general discussions but think that it may be more appropriate in this section. Please view the attached link.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=323303

I’m advised by my main dealer that new units are available at a cost of £950.00 inc. VAT each, but two items quoted as 1) Control unit and 2) Ballast ( or Power unit) need to be transferred from each old unit to the new units.
Has anyone ever done this and can advise accordingly please?

bananarama Aug 12th, 2022 17:01

My headlights have the same issue, but, it doesn't seem to be an issue because like you, they pass the MOT. It's a shame they can't be replaced. I think you can for the P2 headlights (?)

SnineT Aug 12th, 2022 17:30

Can you get a picture of the problem, it will help a more accurate diagnosis,

When they quoted you £950 for a new one I would've said "great I'll take two!" then waited for either a raised eyebrow or a grin.

Ian21401 Aug 12th, 2022 18:09

We knew that they were expensive but were prepared for that, and yes we do need two. But they spoil the look of the car and given that the fractures are gradually becoming worse and are not redeemable. There is no cloudiness and the edges of the “lens” are good. The fractured area is across the top and extends more that half way down the lenses. One of these days the plastic is going to give up all together. ( What was wrong with good old glass lenses as on my 940. Probably the designers wanted “nice” shapes. )
Anyway, what I’m concerned about is, how much is involved in changing over those Control units and Ballasts and what is likely to go wrong.

SnineT Aug 12th, 2022 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian21401 (Post 2839658)
We knew that they were expensive but were prepared for that, and yes we do need two. But they spoil the look of the car and given that the fractures are gradually becoming worse and are not redeemable. There is no cloudiness and the edges of the “lens” are good. The fractured area is across the top and extends more that half way down the lenses. One of these days the plastic is going to give up all together. ( What was wrong with good old glass lenses as on my 940. Probably the designers wanted “nice” shapes. )
Anyway, what I’m concerned about is, how much is involved in changing over those Control units and Ballasts and what is likely to go wrong.

This is only an idea but a windscreen centre might be able to chip bond them for you like they do the screens.

Ian21401 Aug 13th, 2022 08:16

Thanks everyone. I’m still hoping that someone has actually replaced the units and can offer some advice. All the information that I have found seems to relate to the pre 2010 models ( are they the P2 platform? ) or the non bending none Bi-Xenon units. Failing that we’ll just have to buy the units and get on with it.

MKY73 Aug 19th, 2022 13:04

Photos of the relevant headlamp units

5 Attachment(s)
Hopefully I’ve attached photo’s of the headlamps

Ian21401 Aug 24th, 2022 10:07

Replacements ordered.

As can be seen in the images my daughter has uploaded, the lenses are in a poor condition. Not good enough for what is really a high end car.
Anyway, new lenses ordered and expected within a few days. I will see what is involved in transferring parts once I have them. Hopefully nothing too complex.
I was hoping that someone had experience of doing this, but it appears not to be the case.

bananarama Aug 24th, 2022 10:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian21401 (Post 2841576)
As can be seen in the images my daughter has uploaded, the lenses are in a poor condition. Not good enough for what is really a high end car.
Anyway, new lenses ordered and expected within a few days. I will see what is involved in transferring parts once I have them. Hopefully nothing too complex.
I was hoping that someone had experience of doing this, but it appears not to be the case.

You've ordered new lenses? Is it the case that the headlight can be disassembled?

Ian21401 Aug 24th, 2022 13:33

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
By new lenses I should have said new headlamp units. My understanding is that it is a shell comprising the lamp body and lens and that bulbs and some components with regard to the Active Bending and BiXenon have to be transferred from the old shell into the new shell.