Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Disabled Section (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=198)
-   -   End of Paper Tax Discs (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=214251)

940Graeme Sep 19th, 2014 00:55

End of Paper Tax Discs

Now you may not think this affects the disabled group.......but, as other discussions in "General" have shown, the end of paper tax discs showing "Disabled" tax class may well have an effect on parking charges in several areas of the UK.

I know that in Eastbourne, for example, there are Council car parks where Blue Badge holders have to pay for parking, unless there is also a Disabled tax disc displayed. In discussion in other areas on this forum it has also transpired that Cornwall and other Local Authorities also operate this system.

Some months ago I asked Eastbourne Council what they will do about this system when you don't have to display a disc any more. Well it took them 5 months to reply, but yesterday they did..........!!

I am pleased to report that the Council's decision is that ALL Disabled spaces will now be free to ALL Blue Badge holders regardless of the taxation class of the car.

I like to think that I had a hand in this decision, (I don't know, but I wonder if my initial enquiry made the council think - "ohhh heck, haven't thought about this yet...") It does look to me like someone has thought, "we don't know how to deal with this, so we'll just scrap the old system".

Who knows, but a good result.

Have a think about the policy's of your local councils and if similar, but not decided yet, perhaps let them know what Eastbourne has decided to do.........

Best Regards All

Powerforge Sep 19th, 2014 01:48

Ah, good old Eastbourne Council - who forgot to put the necessary parking legislation in place a few years back, resulting in ALL town parking spaces being free to EVERYONE lol :D

At least they took the sensible lead on this one

stuartvolvo Sep 21st, 2014 23:21

disabled parking

Thanks Graeme for that interesting topic about the parking.

I have read all the information closely regarding the blue badge, and what the council said about charging parking even if you display a blue badge but don't have your taxation class changed.

The government states, that if you have a blue badge you get free use of parking meters and pay-and-display bays, as well as not having to pay for any toll roads, or congestion charges, as well as being able to park on single or double yellow lines, so if there are councils trying to charge you, complain to them, as what they are doing I am sure that it is illegal. If there are car parks run by other firms (non government or council) they may charge and unfortunately nothing can be done about it. I thought that this was the case, so I double checked before I wrote this, and if you google blue badge parking, and click onto one of the government sites, it will confirm this.

I am shocked about this, as I have never heard of this happen before especially through a council.

wrinkles Sep 24th, 2014 13:05

Here in Telford you have to pay even if you have a blue badge. In Wales it is free for disabled.

tt82 Sep 24th, 2014 13:46

Some car parks in Oldham have 'No exemptions' for Blue Badge holders, though given how routinely they are abused it's not really a surprise!

vampwitch Oct 18th, 2014 06:32

Cornwall

I asked Cornwall County Council and was told at the time it was being looked into. Now I've seen a signin a car park stating I have to give them my vehicle details two weeks before the disc expires.

Perhaps I'm old fashion but I hate not havung that bit of paper in my windscreen.

West Devon charges as does North Devon. I can't blame some Councils as the scheme is abused. Especially in Supermarket car parks.

wisc Jan 10th, 2015 22:31

Having just taxed my first Volvo under the new legislation, now every time I walk back to the car (which I have to park on the public roads or carpark), I keep thinking it's an untaxed car and I will have the traffic wardens and police looking out for me.
When you have been something a certain way for 30+ years, it takes time to adjust.

MattCrane Sep 15th, 2015 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by vampwitch (Post 1762171)
I asked Cornwall County Council and was told at the time it was being looked into. Now I've seen a signin a car park stating I have to give them my vehicle details two weeks before the disc expires.

Perhaps I'm old fashion but I hate not havung that bit of paper in my windscreen.

West Devon charges as does North Devon. I can't blame some Councils as the scheme is abused. Especially in Supermarket car parks.

Are you aware that this is only valid until October this year, then all Blue Badge Holders including those entitled to free VED will have to pay full parking charges in all of the Counties car parks.

Edit:
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transpor...consultations/

jsh1988 Dec 14th, 2015 23:49

This is another area I've been looking into; Since they scrapped the Tax Disk and moved to somewhere on "the cloud" to be digital, but a group of people got upset saying their neighbors could "check what benefits" they were in receipt of by tapping their Vehicle Reg + make into the DVLA site to show the "disabled" class.

Something anyone could do just by walking by and looking in the windscreen, or before they set up that online functionality by it simply stating "£0" for the 12/6 month rates.

I don't care if people know I claim DLA/PIP, I'm a wheelchair user so can't really hide the fact i have trouble walking....

After the complaints to the DVLA they scrapped that system so now no-one at all can view the rates using the check if a vehicle is taxed system.

This is causing massive issue for councils/concession operators who offer discounts/free parking to those in the "disabled VED" class as the DVLA is making councils responsible for "checking" on a system that does not exist...

Personally I blame the minority who kicked up a storm about something that has been available for 30+ if not more years...