Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201)
-   -   Volvo models across Europe to warn each other (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=293925)

ChatsV60 Apr 16th, 2019 18:38

Volvo models across Europe to warn each other

Volvo models across Europe to warn each other of slippery roads and hazards

Free?

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...ds-and-hazards

roundyuk Apr 16th, 2019 21:03

Interesting, they've been doing this in their commercials for a while too, good to see it coming to the rest of Europe.

Can't imagine its anything more than a software update that then pings the data for your TCS and hazard light activation back up to VoC?

morgano Apr 16th, 2019 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by roundyuk (Post 2513540)
Interesting, they've been doing this in their commercials for a while too, good to see it coming to the rest of Europe.

Can't imagine its anything more than a software update that then pings the data for your TCS and hazard light activation back up to VoC?

It says available to my20 and retrofit to “some” earlier models. Sounds like $$ upgrade not software update - for whatever reason.

simonjedrake Apr 16th, 2019 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgano (Post 2513542)
It says available to my20 and retrofit to “some” earlier models. Sounds like $$ upgrade not software update - for whatever reason.

But hopefully being a 100% safety feature that benefits all other Volvo owners with the same compatible option, this should not be a chargeable upgrade.
By upgrading earlier SPA models this will speed up the availability of this feature to the MY20 models to everyone’s benefit.

Quacker Apr 16th, 2019 22:17

You just wait until 5G becomes normalised. We can only imagine the possibilities of what our cars could be connected to, such as coordinating with others to manage traffic lights to minimise congestion, to road charging intelligently, to surveillance tracking of your position and speed by lord knows who or why. It's the future and the machines will take over. Are you ready for that? Governments are all for it, including autonomous vehicles, which will not be autonomous at all because they will be 'connected' and this able to be remotely controlled for good or evil. It's all about power and control which they will probably justify on 'safety' and 'security' grounds.

Zebra Apr 16th, 2019 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker (Post 2513569)
You just wait until 5G becomes normalised. We can only imagine the possibilities of what our cars could be connected to, such as coordinating with others to manage traffic lights to minimise congestion, to road charging intelligently, to surveillance tracking of your position and speed by lord knows who or why. It's the future and the machines will take over. Are you ready for that? Governments are all for it, including autonomous vehicles, which will not be autonomous at all because they will be 'connected' and this able to be remotely controlled for good or evil. It's all about power and control which they will probably justify on 'safety' and 'security' grounds.

I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle.

jamei305 Apr 17th, 2019 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by chatss60 (Post 2513505)
Free?

It's listed as standard spec in the 2020 price lists I've seen.

Zebra Apr 17th, 2019 07:06

But you can bet it won't be for those of us with MY 2019 cars. If Volvo were serious about safety in a magnanimous way they would offer it as a software upgrade at next service.

The pigs are fully fuelled and ready to fly.......

gaby Apr 17th, 2019 07:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zebra (Post 2513597)
But you can bet it won't be for those of us with MY 2019 cars. If Volvo were serious about safety in a magnanimous way they would offer it as a software upgrade at next service.

So you know for a fact that it's software only?

Lexman8 Apr 17th, 2019 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgano (Post 2513542)
It says available to my20 and retrofit to “some” earlier models.

From the press release:
Hazard Light Alert and Slippery Road Alert is available on all Volvos based on the company’s Scalable Product Architecture (SPA) or Compact Modular Architecture (CMA) from model year 2016 and onwards.
So basically it's most of our cars apart from the earliest production XC90s (MY15).

I suspect it's a software-only update as HLA would simply be detecting that the hazard lights have been activated (either manually or automatically) and SRA could be determined from the existing ABS, gyro and temperature sensors.

It would make sense for it to be a free update to maximise it's potential. However, the accountants may take a different view.