Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Insurance for my 740? Any recommendations? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=110582)

'88740GL Dec 1st, 2010 20:39

Insurance for my 740? Any recommendations?

I'm currently 23 years old in march, i passed my test 11/November 07, though i had a provisional licence and 1 years no claim on my own car before i passed my test. (I bought and insured a car and had private lessons in aid to help pass my test)

So i have 4 years no claims, will be 5 in June, i'm currently paying £1400 Third party fire and theft, and so far the cheapest for next year would be £1200 and thats fully comp.. I've used many price comparison web sites and even classic car insurances, and have had various quotes between £2000-£6000!!

Fair enough i live in the city of manchester - salford, but my car isnt likely to be stolen... each year it creeps up, it shouldnt be no claims 'bonus' no more....

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

les g Swaffer Dec 1st, 2010 21:31

I have been with Swintons for years and they have always found me the cheapest insurance and arange for installments if I needed them
also you say you are 23 when you are 24 the rates will also drop

'88740GL Dec 1st, 2010 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by les g Swaffer (Post 789139)
I have been with Swintons for years and they have always found me the cheapest insurance and arange for installments if I needed them
also you say you are 23 when you are 24 the rates will also drop

I'm currently with swinton at the moment, i doubt it will go cheaper, with all the inflation rubbish going around

monkeh Dec 1st, 2010 22:26

Elephant... Or try chris knott... 0800 9172274

'88740GL Dec 1st, 2010 23:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeh (Post 789183)
Elephant... Or try chris knott... 0800 9172274

Elephant - £1803.05!!

chris knott? never heard of him?

pookie Dec 2nd, 2010 00:13

Chris Knott ? He won't touch you as you live in Salford. Try Adrian Flux, very good for me, and I live in SK8, one of the post codes the club insurer has problems with.

Salut!

Pookie

Oilydad Dec 2nd, 2010 08:56

Just given my daughter some advice recently which applies to you as well.

As you have now passed the 'magic' 4 years no claims, you are a more attractive proposition to most insurers with their business heads screwed on.

She insures through Direct line, and they were going to put her premium up.....but I told her to try Esure. (Who only insure drivers with at least 4 years certified no claims record).

As soon as she rang Direct Line back to tell them that she was moving.....Direct Line matched the quote....which they had previously been "unable" to do!

ALL insurance companies are absolute SCROATS....They will take your money, but at the first sniff of a claim they will get out the "Small Print Damages Non Liability" stuff!

The price comparison websites are a waste of space. You've only got to see that singing dancing pillock on Go Compare to see the childishness of most of them.

Good Luck with it anyway. Let us know who you eventually choose. Keeps us all up to date with the rip off merchants, the 'runners' who don't honour their policies, and the ones to absolutely avoid.

lovejoy633 Dec 2nd, 2010 09:41

I'm not sure if your age may be an issue, but you could get a "classic insurance policy" for your 740.

Try http://www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk/

But phone them rather than using the online service.

Good luck :thumbs_up:

'88740GL Dec 2nd, 2010 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by pookie (Post 789234)
Chris Knott ? He won't touch you as you live in Salford. Try Adrian Flux, very good for me, and I live in SK8, one of the post codes the club insurer has problems with.

Salut!

Pookie

I know exactly what you mean when he says he wont insure me as i live in salford.....so many scroats around, but mind due, who in the right mind would even go near an old volvo... let alone to try and steal it...to most ignorant people they are 'ugly looking boxy big things'. 'That are probably slow as you see them acting like mobile road blocks'

...hehe thats because we choose to drive them sensibly and relax whilst on the road:thumbs_up:

Mind due overtaking on the motorway is a hoot....you get some very surpised looks when they realise that their 1.6 ford focus who was just up your a** cannot keep up! hahaha!

'88740GL Dec 2nd, 2010 12:01

[QUOTE=

As you have now passed the 'magic' 4 years no claims, you are a more attractive proposition to most insurers with their business heads screwed on.

She insures through Direct line, and they were going to put her premium up.....but I told her to try Esure. (Who only insure drivers with at least 4 years certified no claims record).

As soon as she rang Direct Line back to tell them that she was moving.....Direct Line matched the quote....which they had previously been "unable" to do!

ALL insurance companies are absolute SCROATS....They will take your money, but at the first sniff of a claim they will get out the "Small Print Damages Non Liability" stuff!

Yes, i agree, on these price comparison websites, 'moneysupermarket.com' is a favourite, direct choice have been giving me the lowest quotes with good deals, windscreen cover - courtesy car, i've been given quotes between £1200-£1400..

i think its mainly where i live, my dads got 10 years no claims on a 2003 1.2 corsa (base model) and his insurance jumped up from £300 to £450!! hes 47, i really definatlely know that its where i live ...Scroatford..oops i meant salford..

When i save up enough to move to oz. insurance will be a mere £75! thats on a u.k. license too!