Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Amazon radiator return pipe problems (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=339826)

superspod May 5th, 2024 21:50

Amazon radiator return pipe problems

Hi all,
Just wondering if anyone had some useful advice for this as you usually do! Managed to localise the source of the persistent puddle under the car to the junction between the hose from the bottom of the radiator and the pipe heading up to the water pump. Essentially the metal had corroded to the point that that tube is functionally never going to be able to make a suitable deal.
After disassembling (and ensuring no remnants of anything remain in the pump) I tried inserting a new pipe from Brookhouse with a new o ring to no avail, trying o ring lube etc. On inspection the dimensions of the new pipe Vs old pipe do appear slightly different with the new one being longer, but even with the new o ring I'm struggling to get the old pipe to align so I can fit the bolt into the engine block even with significant force.
Short of modifying the pipe, has anyone got any suggestions as to what might be going on? Searching the forums and Haynes manual hasn't provided much help!

Volvo_133 May 6th, 2024 19:47

You may have tried this, can you slot both the old and new pipes into the water pump (minus the o ring) and fit the bolt through the timing cover.?

superspod May 6th, 2024 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo_133 (Post 2948583)
You may have tried this, can you slot both the old and new pipes into the water pump (minus the o ring) and fit the bolt through the timing cover.?

Thanks for your reply! I have, they both only just line up, but I can't see how it would fit with the o ring there?

Volvo_133 May 7th, 2024 09:34

Try fitting the new pipe minus the o ring. Pencil mark the pipe at the pump base.
Remove pipe, fit o ring to pencil line, attempt to fit the pipe.

Volvo_133 May 7th, 2024 09:41

It is many years since I replaced the water pump, my above idea will be useless if the pipe has a shoulder/collar inbuilt to support the o ring.

Volvo_133 May 7th, 2024 10:12

Thoroughly clean the W. Pump port with emery cloth or wire wool. Put a thin layer of rubber grease on pipe and o ring. Good luck.

Derek UK May 7th, 2024 13:18

Increase the size of the hole in the bracket to give some shuffle room for the bolt. Tighten bolt after fitting. I am editing this as I see that the Brookhouse pipe has a tube for the bolt. I thought it was just a tab. If it fits OK without the bolt you might have to cut off the tube and reweld it so it fits. Have a word with Brookhouse. An original might fit OK.

Ron Kwas May 7th, 2024 14:03

SS;

I understand the old one was beyond reuse, but when fitting a replacement is the plan, it is always good practice to physically compare form and fit of the replacement part with the original...this will show if parts are identical, or if a "slight adjustment" will be necessary, or even if return to vendor is the next step.

Cheers

superspod May 7th, 2024 22:35

Thank you all for all the help! the original is now with my mechanic for some light fettling, i'll keep people updated with the outcome. I think that essentially it fits nicely into the pump but the tube for the bolt doesn't align with the hole in the block.
Given some of the bodge jobs done on the car prior to me getting it, i half wonder if someones sheared the bolt off and drilled a new one into the block! slowly getting through them one way or another!

123GT-AMAZON May 8th, 2024 23:00

Simple use two o rings and bolt that baby up sorted and use rubber grease to insert with the new water pipes are toooooo long so your just taking the slack up as it is not sealing correctly that’s how I have fitted them past four - five years ever since the new repro pipes been on market