Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Volvo Scan Tool (Free Scan) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=70633)

outnumbered Apr 15th, 2009 20:37

Volvo Scan Tool (Free Scan)

HI all..
i have just acquired a volvo scan tool. it covers all volvo up to 1998 S/V40, 900. 850,V70, C70,i am offering a FREE service in the west yorkshire area to clear fault codes, however if you wish to donate to my grandsons holiday kitty it will be appreciated.
mike

Jod T5 Apr 15th, 2009 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by outnumbered (Post 492942)
HI all..
i have just acquired a volvo scan tool. it covers all volvo up to 1998 S/V40, 900. 850,V70, C70,i am offering a FREE service in the west yorkshire area to clear fault codes, however if you wish to donate to my grandsons holiday kitty it will be appreciated.
mike

Thanks Mike...
Sticky'd...
Cheers
Jod

tissot Apr 16th, 2009 00:10

hello, is this volfcr?

outnumbered Apr 16th, 2009 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by tissot (Post 493082)
hello, is this volfcr?

hi.
no its a volvo scan tool that the dealers used up to 1999. i also have volfcr.
mike

mike

Eamon Talty Apr 22nd, 2009 21:52

Hello Mike, I was thinking of buying VOl FCR but I have no serial 9 pin on my laptop.

Need to do pump timing (dash triangular light on) 1996' 850 Tdi auto.

Will Vol FCR do this job and can anyone recommend an interface for USB port on my laptop - seem to be many around but need to know one that "actually" works.

Thank you

outnumbered Apr 23rd, 2009 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eamon Talty (Post 496054)
Hello Mike, I was thinking of buying VOl FCR but I have no serial 9 pin on my laptop.

Will Vol FCR do this job and can anyone recommend an interface for USB port on my laptop - seem to be many around but need to know one that "actually" works.

Thank you

hi
volvfcr version 1.74 will do the pump timing for you, you will need the usb version which you can get from ilexa onboard diagnotic. you sa y you have the mil light on it may not be your pump timing, have the codes read and go from there.
mike

Eamon Talty Apr 27th, 2009 20:30

Thanks Mike - I will read the codes, although pretty sure it is the timing as have recently changed cambelt, pulleys, waterpump and FIP belt.

When I retimed everything it was very difficult to start lots of white smoke, but did run and light on dash stayed out.

The only way I could get it to start easily was to move it one notch on the FIP pulley in the advanced direction - Now the green triangular light is on - Book says this is emission light - Is this the same as MIL light?

Where did you get your USB interface from or are you on serial port?

Thanks for your help!

Eamon

outnumbered Apr 29th, 2009 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eamon Talty (Post 498239)
Thanks Mike - I will read the codes, although pretty sure it is the timing as have recently changed cambelt, pulleys, waterpump and FIP belt.

When I retimed everything it was very difficult to start lots of white smoke, but did run and light on dash stayed out.

The only way I could get it to start easily was to move it one notch on the FIP pulley in the advanced direction - Now the green triangular light is on - Book says this is emission light - Is this the same as MIL light?

Where did you get your USB interface from or are you on serial port?

Thanks for your help!

Eamon

hi
i am going to my sons at thatcham this weekend i can bring the scan tool with me .to set up the pump timing it needs to be hooked up to the scan tool and then moved.
mike

mike

Eamon Talty Apr 30th, 2009 20:43

Hello Mike - That is very kind of you. It will work well for me also as I am driving to Surrey on Saturday and could travel via Thatcham.

Have you any idea what time you could be available on Sat and I could fit in with your plans.

I will PM you (think I know how to do it) with my mobile number and maybe I can enter your sons address into sat nav.

I will prepare the car (take covers off etc) so we can adjust the pulleys and belt - Hopefully get this blessed light out.

Thanks very much

Eamon

outnumbered Apr 30th, 2009 21:11

hi Eamon.
i have sent you a pm not avl on sat or sunday but can meet on monday on the way back hope this helps.
mike

RollingThunder Aug 28th, 2009 09:50

codes for 1996 850R

Hi Mike, are you still offering this service? I'd like to get my codes read and service lamp reset if possible. I can pop over to Wakefield (I'm in Doncaster). Many thanks :)

outnumbered Nov 4th, 2009 17:47

hi all
due to the scan tool being no longer availiable i can no longer offer this service with the VST.i still have VOLFCR.
regards
mike

stinky Nov 7th, 2009 21:26

Hi Mike, can that reset the Airbag light or have I missed my chance for that?

mondyal Mar 9th, 2010 20:33

Does the VOLFCR allow you to reset the service lamp reset? I have a laptop usb tool but haven't managed to get it to work yet!!!!!!

Sp00ky Mar 27th, 2010 22:27

Hiya mate,

Does this allow you to read codes and faults? I have an intermitent fault whereby the ABS light comes on as well as the tracs off light. Its a bit sporadic, but someone mentioned to me today that i would be able to find out which sensor it was if it was hooked up to a computer when the ligth was on.

cheers

TomKlan Apr 30th, 2010 15:21

Free Scan Tool

Thank you all for this fantastic Forum,

I always liked the cars in general but done my best to avoid looking under the bonnet. Until this forum that is. I now completely fascinated by what is going on in parts department and how to best fix them if something does go wrong.

I bought a scan tool to read some error coder it's OBDII if anyone would like borrow one, please be free to contact me.

I don't want to make any money on it, all you need to pay is Guaranteed P&P fee. Will post to London or surrounded areas.

Regards

Tom

Will post pic. soon of the model I have

prionailurus May 12th, 2010 12:20

will any of these read a '99 V70 TDi ? Will happily pay for postage.
Dan.

Juan62 Jul 17th, 2010 08:13

Hello;
I'm looking for a Volvo Service Light Reset Tool; for 1998 S-70 T5-M. If you where I could purchase one, please provide me with the product number.
Thank you very much.

silverback02 Jul 28th, 2010 01:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomKlan (Post 662012)

I always liked the cars in general but done my best to avoid looking under the bonnet. Until this forum that is. I now completely fascinated by what is going on in parts department and how to best fix them if something does go wrong.

I bought a scan tool to read some error coder it's OBDII if anyone would like borrow one, please be free to contact me.

I don't want to make any money on it, all you need to pay is Guaranteed P&P fee. Will post to London or surrounded areas.

Regards

Tom

Hi there Tom,
Will this scanner read gearbox codes ??
If so how do I go about borrowing it??
plz pm me with details, if you need a deposit or something ect,
cheers,
Joe.

smokey850 Aug 7th, 2010 01:21

All you need is a usb to odb II cable[Apparently you need a VAGcom for the correct pin out] search on ebay there about 7/8 quid hope this helps

pete1953 Oct 14th, 2010 11:28

hello, i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get a fault reader for my 1996 850 auto estate, i have ignition and abs lights on all the time, also my gearbox light keeps flashing? Can anyone help? I live in Lancashire. First time I`ve replied or asked for help on this site, don`t know how to use it properly yet?

RUTV70 Oct 27th, 2010 15:08

Pete...you need to start a new thread of your own...hidden away in this one you'll not get much response probably.

Neil

mattn388gfc Nov 1st, 2010 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomKlan (Post 662012)

Regards

Tom

just wondered if you still have the code reader and where abouts you are in london

blackcat Nov 8th, 2010 14:06

I'll be brief, I recently joined the forum, completed registration etc. I have a question, re engine management light, but don't know how to ask it? Can anyone assist. I wrote the problem out and it appears under my profile but I've no idea how to ask it. I hope this makes some sense, regards, Richard.

silverback02 Nov 8th, 2010 14:42

Hi there,
If you have had the codes read , they should tell you if there's a prob, but start off with the simple servicing bits & bobs before worrying too much.
Unless your mate has the correct leads / software for the Volvo it may not show the codes.
joe.

Jp003 Feb 21st, 2011 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by outnumbered (Post 492942)
HI all..
mike

Cant you just use any EOBD reader? Why does it have to be the volvo one? What advantages do you get? I use a cheap reader and it clears all the p0,p1,p2 codes.

regards John

silverback02 Feb 22nd, 2011 00:53

A lot of the "cheaper" readers will only read engine and poss brake codes,
The Volvo one will do air bags, switches, Gearbox and accessories. Alot more than the usual.
Joe.

Jp003 Feb 24th, 2011 20:17

Now im interested. Think ill look into that sounds like just what I need.

captian Nov 27th, 2011 16:37

Thanks I wish I was living over the 'pond'

Thanks I live in Toronto so I guess I'm out of the running for that generous offer!

I'd like to ask, can you tell me the grades of gasoline/petrol you have in Britain and the current cost per litre?

Thanks

Ian

Phat Barsteward Dec 15th, 2011 21:51

Your not in the north east area at the minute are you? Lol

RM955I May 16th, 2012 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eamon Talty (Post 496054)

Thank you

I know this is an old post but for the benefit of anyone else, if it hasn't already been said, you can buy a USB to serial 9 pin adapter: I use one on another piece of kit called "Tune ECU" that I use for a motorcycle.

garylew Dec 28th, 2012 20:45

hi, would it clear my service light on a p1 v70 t5, been to 3 or 4 garages and they can not do it. only in wakefield myself, many thanks gary.

Neil Fry Mar 1st, 2013 21:16

Don't know if this thread is still live, but will give it a go anyway. After some recent troubles with my 2000 C70 we have managed to get rid of all the dash warning lights except the SRS light. These are undocumented codes on my mates Snap On diagnostic equipment so are theoretically only readable (and probably therefore) only cancel able by Volvo equipment. Will this device reset this warning light? It doesn't cause any problems but I would like it re set if at all possible, anyone have any ideas that won't cost too much??
Neil

marcos baca garcia Mar 9th, 2013 00:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by outnumbered (Post 493115)
hi.
no its a volvo scan tool that the dealers used up to 1999. i also have volfcr.
mike

mike

amigo muy buen dia! mira mi volvo lo tengo en mexico tijuana , no sabes tu de casualidad donde me pueden ayudar , ya que tengo problemas con mi V70 1999 al parecer es la ETM, se me encendieron las alarmas de: abs , check engine , brake y una flechita intermitente en el manual aparece como Mode "W" engaged , mi vehiculo pierde potencia considerablemente y aqui en tijuana mexico no se a donde acudir , afradezco de antemano su ayuda muchas gracias!.

markconnor33 Mar 14th, 2013 21:48

Hi

Just seen your very kind offer on the forum.

I've got a Volvo XC90 Diesel 2005 with the SRS light latched on (following me disconnecting it to remove a seat. Now refitted).

Also got an intermittant problem with Turbo/controls, sending into limp mode.

Does your code reader work on the XC90?

I only live in Leeds, so could easy pop over yours either on a weekend or after work during week.

Any help really appreciated, best bet is to Email me on markconnor@ntlworld.com, as I don't come on this forum due to normal reliability of Volvos!!

Cheers
Mark

Clan Mar 14th, 2013 22:09

No the scan tool only works on models up to 1999

Thanatos Mar 14th, 2013 23:40

Mike has a dice now so will be able to help

RiPsTa33 Mar 18th, 2013 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcos baca garcia (Post 1369940)
amigo muy buen dia! mira mi volvo lo tengo en mexico tijuana , no sabes tu de casualidad donde me pueden ayudar , ya que tengo problemas con mi V70 1999 al parecer es la ETM, se me encendieron las alarmas de: abs , check engine , brake y una flechita intermitente en el manual aparece como Mode "W" engaged , mi vehiculo pierde potencia considerablemente y aqui en tijuana mexico no se a donde acudir , afradezco de antemano su ayuda muchas gracias!.

Lo siento, pero yo no creo que nadie aquí sabría cualquier parte de México que podrían ayudar

markconnor33 Apr 3rd, 2013 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanatos (Post 1374165)
Mike has a dice now so will be able to help

Ahh sounds good where is Mike with his DICE?

Mark

Thanatos Apr 3rd, 2013 22:08

outnumbered lives in wakefield AFAIK