Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Gearbox oil question (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302787)

griston64 Jan 23rd, 2020 20:42

Gearbox oil question

Just checked the gearbox oil I collected from the main dealer last week and it has part number 1161723 on the bottle. On checking with my car ( 1996 940 with M90 ) on Skandix website it's showing part number 31280771 to be the correct stuff which is the number on the bottle I bought last year

Have the numbers changed again or is 1161723 the wrong oil for my M90 box

Cheers

AndyV7o Jan 24th, 2020 22:00

The big question is;
Is it the right viscosity and spec? If so, its correct, if not, it isnt.
Though a later spec may replace an original.
What is specced for your box?
What did you get?

griston64 Jan 24th, 2020 22:18

That is indeed the question:regular_smile:

Mattty Jan 24th, 2020 22:27

The last oil I got for my M90 from Volvo was part number 31280771 as well, that was in September 2018. Best bet is to call the Volvo dealer and just ask about this specific part number.

AndyV7o Jan 24th, 2020 22:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by griston64 (Post 2592790)
That is indeed the question:regular_smile:

Well, if in doubt, return it amd buy the right oil from such as Opieoils.co.uk
There is nothing special about the volvo oil, just made to spec for the lowest price that one of the big oil companies have tendered.
Buy from Fuchs/Gulf/Motul etc and you will get an extremely good oil equal to but most likely superior to the volvo oil.

griston64 Jan 24th, 2020 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattty (Post 2592795)
The last oil I got for my M90 from Volvo was part number 31280771 as well, that was in September 2018. Best bet is to call the Volvo dealer and just ask about this specific part number.

Looks like I may have the wrong stuff from the dealer. I will call in on Monday and request some 31280771 as supplied last year

loki_the_glt Jan 25th, 2020 16:23

Confusion STILL reigns

Having gone into Rybrooks in Warrington this morning for some bits, including the gearbox oil I learned from the parts man that NONE of the three part numbers cited for the gearbox oil appears to be recognised, at least by Rybrooks.

The parts man is going to check with Volvo UK for the definitive part number so I might have an answer later next week, after I pick up the other bits I've ordered.

Interestingly, one of the sleeves for the propshaft centre bearing is NLA, even from Volvo Classic Parts so I mght need to look for a substitute.

Laird Scooby Jan 27th, 2020 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2592999)
Having gone into Rybrooks in Warrington this morning for some bits, including the gearbox oil I learned from the parts man that NONE of the three part numbers cited for the gearbox oil appears to be recognised, at least by Rybrooks.

The parts man is going to check with Volvo UK for the definitive part number so I might have an answer later next week, after I pick up the other bits I've ordered.

Interestingly, one of the sleeves for the propshaft centre bearing is NLA, even from Volvo Classic Parts so I mght need to look for a substitute.

This might help :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-740...Y/171414215412

Slide off the old one, slide on the new! I think that's the right diameter propshaft variant for your but please check!
Saves all the faffing about changing individual parts of the prop centre bearing and gurantees they are all aligned.
If you get vibration at a certain speed after changing it, return to base, crawl under and loosen the 4 bolts by 1/2 turn each.

Take it for another short run accelerating gently to the speed it vibrated at before. Return to base, retighten the bolts a little at a time on each until they are all tight again.
GIve it another road test, if all is good, reward yourself with the beverage of your choice, if not, repeat the procedure until it is.

loki_the_glt Jan 28th, 2020 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laird Scooby (Post 2593904)
This might help :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-740...Y/171414215412

Slide off the old one, slide on the new! I think that's the right diameter propshaft variant for your but please check!
Saves all the faffing about changing individual parts of the prop centre bearing and gurantees they are all aligned.
If you get vibration at a certain speed after changing it, return to base, crawl under and loosen the 4 bolts by 1/2 turn each.

Take it for another short run accelerating gently to the speed it vibrated at before. Return to base, retighten the bolts a little at a time on each until they are all tight again.
GIve it another road test, if all is good, reward yourself with the beverage of your choice, if not, repeat the procedure until it is.

Funnily enough L.S. I had already encountered this ebay item and it's under consideration. What isn't apparent is whether the assorted ancillary bits are included: the Volvo diagram quotes 2 rings, a ball-bearing assembly, a carrier and two bellows (one of which is the NLA item that I described as a sleeve).

Laird Scooby Jan 28th, 2020 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by loki_the_glt (Post 2594009)
Funnily enough L.S. I had already encountered this ebay item and it's under consideration. What isn't apparent is whether the assorted ancillary bits are included: the Volvo diagram quotes 2 rings, a ball-bearing assembly, a carrier and two bellows (one of which is the NLA item that I described as a sleeve).

As far as i'm aware (and fairly sure that's exactly the same one as i used a few years ago) it's literally slide one off, slide the other on and is complete. In other words, any and all ancillary bits are already fitted.

Obviously you have to drop the front end of the prop off the gearbox, undo the 4 bolts securing the prop centre bearing to the floor pan then slide off the front part of the *propshaft, remove the bearing (had to drift mine off the back half), clean up the rear prop where the bearing sits, slide the new one on and then for the other bits, "Haynes it".

It was about 3 years ago now and i'm suffering from a snot goblin at the moment so i'm fairly sure that's accurate for the method but you should be able to overcome any bits i've missed or got back to front easily enough.

Same bearing is used on Sherpas, Transits (some), GM Fronteras (some) and a few others, That's why it's a sensible prce because it's a popular seller, makes the job easier too! :thumbs_up:

* the propshaft is keyed on the front and rear halves, only fits one way! Took ages to figure that out! Mark the back and front halves relative to each other with Tipp-Ex before removal!