Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 205 boost problem (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=296861)

wagonwheels Jul 21st, 2019 22:21

D5 205 boost problem

I've been chasing a performance issue for 6 months or so with my 2010 xc70 d5 205.It has a definite flat spot from 2600rpm to 3000rpm.There are no codes on vida and boost looks ok from what I can see.I did replace my bottom intercooler hose as it had a tiny pin hole in it and smoke tested the intake side of things with no obvious leaks detected.I did the smoke test as I feel it hisses too much under full throttle at lower rpms .
It's also fairly poor on fuel (28-30mpg) and compared to my 2004 xc70 d5 163(shark remap,egr delete, stainless exhaust and intercooler) it feel weak especially low on torque.
I wonder if being the twin turbo set up that one of the plastic joining feed pipes might have split on the turbos but I cant find any info on it being an issue.
Any info greatly recieved.

Stuart

GrahamBrown1 Jul 24th, 2019 07:12

Have you checked either of the turbos?

wagonwheels Jul 25th, 2019 11:43

I've now physically checked the spindles for play now as they are extremely difficult to get to either.It makes boost but not as quick as it should according to Vida.I suspect the black plastic pipework connecting the two turbos is to blame but again you cant see.
I had an xc60 205 which blew the small turbo at 44k and the bill was massive to sort .I was hoping not to be that unlucky twice.

davebb Aug 3rd, 2019 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonwheels (Post 2539259)
I've now physically checked the spindles for play now as they are extremely difficult to get to either.It makes boost but not as quick as it should according to Vida.I suspect the black plastic pipework connecting the two turbos is to blame but again you cant see.
I had an xc60 205 which blew the small turbo at 44k and the bill was massive to sort .I was hoping not to be that unlucky twice.

But you did a smoke test, so if there was no leak, why do you think it is the black plastic pipework ?
Dave

wagonwheels Aug 4th, 2019 23:44

The smoke test wasnt to the same pressure as actual boost pressure and it only happens under peak boost.Ive checked all the other hoses and replaces any that I had any doubt over but I cant look down the back of the turbo set up and there is oil mist deposits down the back where the turbos are.I can live with the noise to be honest but the drop in power at 2500-2800rpm is annoying.

GrahamBrown1 Aug 5th, 2019 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagonwheels (Post 2542054)
The smoke test wasnt to the same pressure as actual boost pressure and it only happens under peak boost.Ive checked all the other hoses and replaces any that I had any doubt over but I cant look down the back of the turbo set up and there is oil mist deposits down the back where the turbos are.I can live with the noise to be honest but the drop in power at 2500-2800rpm is annoying.

The twin turbo d5s are known for eating the odd turbo as you have previously found.

davebb Aug 5th, 2019 22:15

Hi you need to do a smoke test at high pressure , near the turbo pressure,
Dave

wagonwheels Aug 5th, 2019 22:57

I'll be really annoyed if it's another set of turbos. Looking at Vida the actual vs specified boost is ok and makes good pressure but does drop from specified at 2500-2800rpm .Just odd theres no fault code.
I'll need to try to get the pipework between the turbos checked at high pressure and check the small turbo(its the only one I can get to).

wagonwheels Oct 27th, 2019 11:01

Just an update on this as it's so annoying when googling and there isnt a conclusion to a problem.On doing some work on the car I found the brown boost control solenoid was cracked and leaking(the one that seems to control the big diaphragm and the back of the engine) on sorting it it was smooth right through the rev range.Not long after fixing it it also broke a exhaust temp sensor and now all is good.

lynns hubby Oct 28th, 2019 06:34

That sounds like a good result and not one that emptied your pockets.
Its also good that you posted the fix as its frustrating when a thread dries up.