Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amazon: Amazon Estate Rolling Project (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=123242)

Burdekin Apr 27th, 2011 21:20

Amazon Estate Rolling Project

5 Attachment(s)
I've just bought what I would call a solid 66 Amazon Estate to be my daily car. The body has a few wee issues but overall I think it's in pretty good condition from what I can see. The paint is fair condition but needs doing along with removing any rust issues as soon as I can afford to do so. The interior is okay but again needs some love and attention. The engine is running poorly and there is an issue with using oil and leaking water and not holding pressure.

This is what I intend on doing as I want it to be a reliable, functional and cool looking car.

Engine:

Darren (DJS) and I stripped my B20E and cleaned it and we will rebuild this engine and I will put it into the Amazon. Darren has taken the engine in bits plus the parts I already have back home with him as he's going to get the block machined 30 or 40 thou oversize, crank ground and head skimmed as will probably go for a CR of about 10:1 and if the machine shop do it I hope they will do a little bit of head work for me. If not maybe will try and do a wee polish of the exhaust ports. We will then build the engine ourselves. I will run twin SUs, big thanks to John (Biggles24) for the SUs, aluminium intake manifold and the linkage which look to be in fab condition. I have an air box for the carbs and will link this to a K&N filter at the front of the car drawing cold air. Going for a KG10 cam, again thanks to 940turbo and Fredrik at KG Trimning for the help and advice on choosing the cam. The engine will be totally reconditioned and I have ordered all the parts I need from KG and Brookhouse, except the pistons which I think the machine shop will probably supply. Still haven't decided on the exhaust manifold and exhaust set-up but maybe a type 1 KG manifold might be on the cards. Ignition I'm going to go for the Megajolt system. I will try and keep the thread up to date and detail what I do along the way. When setting up the twin carbs and then the megajolt I hope to use a rolling road so that will also give some numbers to show what this set-up will produce and if better than standard HP and torque.

Bodywork:

No changes and will keep original. Will get the rust cut out and a full respray when I get the pennies. New seals all round and I will do my best to make the car as water tight as I can get it. Rust proofing is high on my list. Front and rear bumpers I am thinking of making each into single piece bumpers and loose the middle upright sections and then get them re-chromed. Not decided on the wheels but something more sensible, maybe 17" Torque thrust IIs. Door handles and locks etc need sorting. I like the original roof racks so will keep an eye out for one of these as well.

Interior:
Full sound-proofing, carpet and maybe get the car retrimmed or just good tidy-up. Still need to decide on this but I think the inside needs to be really nice as that is what you see when in the car so the interior needs to make me feel good to be in the car. Upgrade the sound system and maybe my wife can look after that side of things as she's the tech geek in the family.

Handling:

Maybe use my Corsa electric power steering. Will see what the previous owner has done with the suspension. Maybe use my P1800E rear axle and change the front hubs.

Anyway will see how things go but the big job at the moment is to get the engine back in and use the car and then get the bodywork sorted so the little issues don't get bigger.

Some pics attached of the car (bit dirty from the drive up) and most of the E engine bits after the first clean.

If anyone has any good suggestions on nice upgrades let me know.

Cheers,

Mitch

RWD Apr 27th, 2011 21:37

Looks very nice, always liked the Amazon estate. Hope all goes well and that the dreaded metal moth hasn't been too greedy!

Did you modify the bonnet badge or was it like that when you got it? ;)

Burdekin Apr 27th, 2011 21:40

Well spotted, no the previous owner had a sense of humour...

pez Apr 27th, 2011 21:46

Welcome to estate ownership mitch!! Looks a great project youve got there.

222s Apr 27th, 2011 23:41

If you're going to make the bumpers one piece, this will be interesting reading:

http://autopendium.com/vehicles/3-19...e-front-bumper

For the sound system, there is just enough space to mount a modern headunit under the dash in front of the gearstick (so the driver can reach it, unlike the factory mounting position) and old Jags are a good source of classic looking speaker covers (simple black mesh with chrome rim) should you end up locating the speakers where they would be visible.

Btw, what size are the big wheels & tyres & how did it drive?

Alf ista Apr 28th, 2011 00:46

Looks good Mitch. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Man, those are some low profile tyres, must have been a real hard ride.....
Like what he did with the bonnet letters, well spotted that man!

Burdekin Apr 28th, 2011 06:38

Thanks guys. The wheels are 19" Mitsubishi Evo wheels and the ride is harsh with them. The car already has poly bushes so the wheels make it worse, not unbearable but it isn't ideal for a daily car.

swedishandgerman Apr 28th, 2011 09:00

You lucky man! That's a really nice Amazon and I love that colour for an estate.

REALLY want an estate now! Need to sell my horrid Mini then convince my wife that we NEED an Amazon estate

Burdekin Apr 28th, 2011 09:17

Yes you need one. I can even sleep in mine which I did at Carlise on the way up... :-)

I really like the colour as well and prefer the look of the estate. Just need to get the engine done so it’s mobile again. A huge thanks to Darren for all his help and Karen his lovely girlfriend who was so patient.

222s Apr 28th, 2011 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch1971 (Post 894980)
Thanks guys. The wheels are 19" Mitsubishi Evo wheels

A tad on the large side then!! What size are the tyres, any idea of width & offset, & is there full clearance? I ask since I'm looking into fitting some different wheels (not as large as 19" though) but am concerned about the inboard clearances.