Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S40 / V40 '96-'04 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   The end! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=278158)

skyship007 Feb 10th, 2018 14:14

The end!

Just got a message from, "She who must be obeyed" in Germany, that the drivers door is kaput following some type of incident in a farmers yard. I was stunned to read it was the other drivers fault!

The TUV is nearly due and the tyres also need replacing. Add to that list, the main cam belt service is nearly due, so alas it's the end of the road at 300K km.

We are both rather sad that our old, battered but beloved V40 1.9D will have to be put down, along with the rather old horse box.
It's been a great car and one of the very few I truly loved to drive. It stood up incredibly well to the most appaling abuse, but it has finally reached the end of the road.

cheshired5 Feb 10th, 2018 14:16

The end of the road because it needs a door and a service?
You're not even trying. :)

gatos Feb 10th, 2018 18:36

Oh nooooo. You can't leave this subforum. Can we help with a door? What colour is it?

Cornishv40 Feb 10th, 2018 21:42

As above skyship.. your knowledge about oil has kept us running ;)

candor Feb 10th, 2018 23:16

As above, surely easy enough to get a door to suit?

If you're not going to keep it, what would you replace it with?

V40T4R Feb 11th, 2018 16:37

Sad sad sad

ksmi Feb 11th, 2018 19:54

Evening Skyship,

What about rubbing a bit of Liquid Moly on the door? not the tyres though,might make them a bit slippery!
can't cost that much to put the old girl back on the road,you know you owe it to her! All those in favour shout Aye!!!

Regards,Keith.

skyship007 Feb 11th, 2018 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by gatos (Post 2367852)
Oh nooooo. You can't leave this subforum. Can we help with a door? What colour is it?

Thanks for the offer, but the car is in Germany at present and they don't do freepost for doors!

I've not seen any pic's of the damage, but it must be more than a door, as the other drivers insurance company has offered 1200 Euros PLUS she can keep the car.

The TUV inspection is next month (Some kind of suspension repairs and new tyres required) which would cost at least 500 and it's only got 15K km left before the main cam belt service (Another 500 plus if done correctly).

So I've strongly suggested she take the money, cancel her insurance (Several thousand back) and use my Twingo town car.

It's a sad day in some ways and even she was upset that our beloved car has reached the end of the road, but the state of the bodywork and interior is so bad (Multiple dings, bent bumpers and trashed seats) that it would be truly nuts to keep the Volvo.

villar4sotrondio Feb 12th, 2018 13:27

Please, do yourself (and she who must be obeyed) a favour: go and get another another one!

CopthorneMike Feb 12th, 2018 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by villar4sotrondio (Post 2368416)
Please, do yourself (and she who must be obeyed) a favour: go and get another another one!

So there you are - a sensible solution. Simples as they say in a well known but now annoying insurance advert.