Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series Wants (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   'T' Cam required (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=139397)

monkeh Nov 23rd, 2011 13:15

'T' Cam required

Anyone got a 'T' cam knocking around spare?

brodgar Nov 23rd, 2011 18:17

try the wanted section of the forum

minesa240x3 Nov 23rd, 2011 21:47

I think the cheeky little "monkeh" was hoping more people look in the for sale section so thought he would get a better responce.
Anyway why the "T" cam I thought the "K" cam was the best?
From a GLT?
Regards Brian.

wooble Nov 24th, 2011 00:47

You'll get a V cam out of a GLT, and 'best' is all to do with personal preferences. as you move up the more aggressive and powerful cams, you move the powerband higher, the K is pretty dead until you're north of 3000 rpm. T and M (for turbo and NA respectively) make the least power but give it all low down so you feel more power putting around town.

I think I have a T cam in the shed, I'll take a look next time I'm over there if nobody else finds one first.

foggyjames Nov 24th, 2011 01:28

The T and M were both emissions-spec cams, and are limp as hell. It's not just about duration (i.e. powerband position)...the lift is also very low, compromising torque. An 'A' grind is a slightly more relaxed cam RPM-wise without sacrificing too much lift.

My B200 with a K cam dyno'd 95% of peak torque at 2250rpm, so they're not that wild. A V is 90% of the way there, and far, far more common. It's not really worth waiting months for a K over a V...if you want a significant upgrade, you're better off talking to people like FolkRaceShop.

None of the factory choices are that radical, and they'll all pull tree-stumps out from tickover compared with something like a Honda VTEC engine. Personally, I'd choose an A or V...whatever I can get my hands on cheaply.

After that mini-rant, I can probably get a T cam (if those who have already volunteered can't) if you insist on a life of cam-related misery ;)

cheers

James

brodgar Nov 24th, 2011 07:15

identification

can anyone tell me where/how you can identify which camshaft you have??

where are the markings???

barkster1971 Nov 24th, 2011 07:52

end

At the dizzy end of the cam on one of the semi-circular parts they'll be a small letter punched in. You'll probably have to give it a wipe. Also on the timing belt cover the engine code can give you an indication as the V cam's are on the B200E and B230E engines.

foggyjames Nov 24th, 2011 12:39

The only thing to watch for there is that B200Es in 360s got A-cams, so make sure it's a K-Jet version if you want a 'V'. A-cams came in most carbed 240s (certainly ones with the 'A' engine with the variable jet carb). The rare version is the slotted type (for a 7/900, with the head-mounted distributor) found in 740/760 turbos.

cheers

James

monkeh Nov 24th, 2011 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by minesa240x3 (Post 1032465)
I think the cheeky little "monkeh" was hoping more people look in the for sale section so thought he would get a better responce.
Anyway why the "T" cam I thought the "K" cam was the best?
From a GLT?
Regards Brian.

Brainfart at 27, pressed the wrong button!

monkeh Nov 24th, 2011 17:06

The reason why I want a t cam, is that I had fitted a higher lift cam, and as I want to sell the car, I want to return it to stock condition, I bought the higher lift cam as I scored the original cam, I think was a T cam (b230fk) when changing the camshaft seal. This camshaft thats on my car has the torque up top and not at the low end, to a buyer, this would feel like a problem.

I did try to get one off a scrap car in my local picknpull, but the brightspark scrapper dumped the engine in the skip, we had to move 2 engines off to access the engine, finding that one engine had sat on the distributor snapping the camshaft at the end.
I think my car had a T cam, but a camshaft off a 1995-1997 b230fk with m90 will be fine.
Ta!