Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   700/900 Series General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   940 insurance (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=281024)

psl Apr 24th, 2018 13:43

940 insurance

Just had our renewal through on the multi car policy we have and shock and horror at said price. Does anyone on here with a late 940 have a classic car insurance policy?
Rang my previous company up I had the old viva on and they said my 98 model was too new to insure with them :eek:

Casheye Apr 24th, 2018 14:56

My 91 qualified for classic but my 97 didn't.

Saying that, I'm 32, 3 points and had a claim against my policy last year (drove into the back of my friends limited edition Harley, and yes we're still friends) and my insurance cost me £380 fully comp with 6000 miles.

They took £40 off the original quote because I said I was a member on this forum.

Over all it was cheaper to insure my cars though two different policies rather than a multi car one.

nutco Apr 24th, 2018 15:02

Over all it was cheaper to insure my cars though two different policies rather than a multi car one.[/QUOTE]

I found that as well as well with Zurich

psl Apr 24th, 2018 16:39

I wont be renewing my multi car policy this year to be honest, as I refuse to pay nearly £300 per car, when ive no points and have full NCB and the wrong side of 45. Its a jolly big bill to foot all in one go.
Ill be insuring my works van and private cars independently but I'm trying to find a company that`ll insure the 940 on a classic policy, alas its a 98 model that makes finding such a company rather limiting.

volvo always Apr 24th, 2018 17:18

A few weeks ago I bought a Lexus IS 220D so now have 3 cars.

I have 2 Volvos a 1989 240GLT and a 1996 940.

I passed my test in 1999 and am now 38 and haven't had any claims or accidents but as I lived in France AXA UK wouldn't honour AXA France NCD as needed a legal, professional translation costing hundreds so had to start again.

The 940 NCB I have built up again and have 5 years no claims. The 240 was on classic car.
I wanted to put the 940 on classic too and use my 5 years no claims on the Volvo onto the Lexus as getting quotes of £800-1000 just for that based on 0 NCB.
I couldn't find anyone who could put the 940 on a classic policy.
In the end went with admiral multicar for £1300 for all 3 cars.

James

bob12 Apr 24th, 2018 17:55

In the many threads I have seen over the years on this subject I have always wondered why people never seem to name the Insurer concerned; whether they have gone with them or not, and what they were quoted and eventually paid.

If you got a good deal tell all. As long as it's the truth there's nothing they can do, and it may well drive sales in their direction. Bob :)

psl Apr 24th, 2018 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by volvo always (Post 2396549)
A few weeks ago I bought a Lexus IS 220D so now have 3 cars.

I have 2 Volvos a 1989 240GLT and a 1996 940.

I passed my test in 1999 and am now 38 and haven't had any claims or accidents but as I lived in France AXA UK wouldn't honour AXA France NCD as needed a legal, professional translation costing hundreds so had to start again.

The 940 NCB I have built up again and have 5 years no claims. The 240 was on classic car.
I wanted to put the 940 on classic too and use my 5 years no claims on the Volvo onto the Lexus as getting quotes of £800-1000 just for that based on 0 NCB.
I couldn't find anyone who could put the 940 on a classic policy.
In the end went with admiral multicar for £1300 for all 3 cars.

James

I thought I was copping it hard. I`ve just got off the phone to my insurance company to cancel and they instantly dropped by £130 :eek:
Ive been going through quotes and for my van and my main private car they have come in at £207 and £178 respectively, just need to find a policy for my other halfs car and the Volvo now

psl Apr 24th, 2018 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob12 (Post 2396572)
In the many threads I have seen over the years on this subject I have always wondered why people never seem to name the Insurer concerned; whether they have gone with them or not, and what they were quoted and eventually paid.

If you got a good deal tell all. As long as it's the truth there's nothing they can do, and it may well drive sales in their direction. Bob :)

Ive just left Aviva, always good service and free to change cars on each policy(over the internet) just didn't like my renewal price. Still have other forms of insurance with them.

Each post code, age, circumstance and car dramatically changes your quotes though.

Laird Scooby Apr 24th, 2018 18:28

I originally went onto classic insurance for my Rover 827 Sterling about 9 years ago - 10 years ago they told me it was too new at 14 years old at the time.

However trying to insure it on a "normal" policy at the time meant paying something ridiculous like £900+ a year. That's when i went onto classic insurance at around £127 a year (was a long time ago but that figure is about right) which has gone up year on year and is now about £180 and i now have 5+ years of NCB on it but still a classic policy apparently.

My other two (827 Coupé and 765GLE) have all been on classic policies from when i took ownership of them.

Now for the silly bit that is being enforced more and more by insurers - you must have access to another vehicle to put a car on a classic policy. It doesn't matter if that vehicle is another classic, you just have to have more than one.

People often ask me why i have three cars, that's why. Even if i sold one, i'd still have to keep two to qualify for classic insurance. Even with the extra VED, MoT etc, it's still cheaper than running just one and paying the ridiculous amount the insurers would want.

If it helps anybody, i'm with Lancaster and the insurance is about £260 for my 760, fully comp, 5k miles/year and i live in a reasonably sensible post code. ;) :D

psl Apr 24th, 2018 20:25

To draw this thread to its conclusion and to hopefully point others of later year Volvo`s in the right direction, a company has been found who will insure your 940 on a classic policy.
After many online forms and chuffing sales call backs Lancaster came up trumps £160

I feel soooo money super mkt right now