Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   General: Engine Managment service Urgent, Help!! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=303408)

Tyler11k Feb 9th, 2020 23:59

Engine Managment service Urgent, Help!!

So today, I bought a used 2009 volvo s40 1.6 diesel. Car seemed perfect when I drove it. No warning lights or anything. About an hour and a half into my journey home the red warning triangle popped up in the middle of the dash saying "Engine Mangment service urgent". Car seemed very dead. Any bit of an incline and the the car struggling. Long story short, the guy who sold me the car wasnt taking any responsibility. Pulled in and turned off the car and started it again. The warning light was still there and the car was going up through the gears fine but still seemed abit dead, once I hit 5th gear the car struggled to go above 115kmh. Once I got off the motorway and into the city it seemed alot better but all of a sudden it would seem dead again. Car is idling fine, no weird noises or clunks. Can anyone help please

MJS3 Feb 11th, 2020 16:57

That sucks!

Can you get anyone with Vida & Dice to read the code for you? that should give you a good starting point.

I think you can use an ODBII reader but the codes are generic rather than detailed like you would get with the Volvo software.

Ghost83 Feb 11th, 2020 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler11k (Post 2598448)
So today, I bought a used 2009 volvo s40 1.6 diesel. Car seemed perfect when I drove it. No warning lights or anything. About an hour and a half into my journey home the red warning triangle popped up in the middle of the dash saying "Engine Mangment service urgent". Car seemed very dead. Any bit of an incline and the the car struggling. Long story short, the guy who sold me the car wasnt taking any responsibility. Pulled in and turned off the car and started it again. The warning light was still there and the car was going up through the gears fine but still seemed abit dead, once I hit 5th gear the car struggled to go above 115kmh. Once I got off the motorway and into the city it seemed alot better but all of a sudden it would seem dead again. Car is idling fine, no weird noises or clunks. Can anyone help please

Same here except my car works perfectly.
So eager to read those codes.
Anyone close to me in london SE8?

Much obliged!

AndrasL Feb 12th, 2020 13:06

You should check your local laws. In many countries there is buyer protection, which will require the seller to either purchase the car back in full or pay for repairs.
The issue arose right after you bought it, he is responsible.

wgaca Feb 13th, 2020 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost83 (Post 2599161)
Same here except my car works perfectly.
So eager to read those codes.
Anyone close to me in london SE8?

Much obliged!

I can read the codes for you but next week as i'm out of the city

Clan Feb 13th, 2020 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler11k (Post 2598448)

most likely the fuel filter blocked ...