Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Windscreen replaced, Calibration required or not?? (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287566)

Aussiexc60 Oct 16th, 2018 10:54

Windscreen replaced, Calibration required or not??

2012 R Design D5 XC 60 Windscreen is leaking! Web search suggest this was a common factory fault. Is this correct? I also want a definitive answer as to if the collision avoidance system will need to be calibrated and or whether it is also self testing and will report an error if not calibrated after new Windscreen fitted?? I have one dealer saying not necessary and another saying definately. I also have one Windscreen company saying don't have to recalibrate this model, and another who just did not know? And also does rain sensor need calibration too after refitted screen. Hoping for a link to a Volvo technical bulletin or similar and not just people who have had their screens replaced and told what was done, as it seems you could have anything done and not actually know it was....or wasn't done????!!!

mbrain Oct 16th, 2018 11:17

I had my front screen replaced recently by Autoglass. The rain sensitive wipers didn't require recalibrating, they work fine.

Aussiexc60 Oct 16th, 2018 13:01

I'm told the collision avoidance system needs calibration after new screen. Is your collision avoidance still working too is really my main concern?

GrahamHR Oct 16th, 2018 13:57

[QUOTE=Aussiexc60;2458011]I'm told the collision avoidance system needs calibration after new screen. Is your collision avoidance still working too is really my main concern?[/QUOTE

Not all V60s have the collision avoidance system, at least in the UK. Mine has, it needed calibration after the screen was changed, but the UK company that changed the screen, Autoglass, did the calibration. Australia is probably a bit far for them to come out!

Clan Oct 16th, 2018 14:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussiexc60 (Post 2457965)
2012 R Design D5 XC 60 Windscreen is leaking! Web search suggest this was a common factory fault. Is this correct? I also want a definitive answer as to if the collision avoidance system will need to be calibrated and or whether it is also self testing and will report an error if not calibrated after new Windscreen fitted?? I have one dealer saying not necessary and another saying definately. I also have one Windscreen company saying don't have to recalibrate this model, and another who just did not know? And also does rain sensor need calibration too after refitted screen. Hoping for a link to a Volvo technical bulletin or similar and not just people who have had their screens replaced and told what was done, as it seems you could have anything done and not actually know it was....or wasn't done????!!!

yes the city safety system needs calibration, it is part of the volvo windscreen replacement procedure , In UK most windscreen fitters have preferential treatment for this at the dealers .

alf27 Oct 16th, 2018 15:12

Does Volvo Australia not reseal the windscreens free of charge ? Had mine done last year by a Volvo (UK) dealer on a 2008 car & I am the 5th owner.

Stevepvolvo Oct 16th, 2018 17:41

Had my windscreen replaced some years ago on an XC60 and the insurers would only pay for a non volvo stamped windscreen as cheaper. Windscreen replaced and then followed a month of continual trips back to auto glass as no end of errors surrounding the various cameras. After many trips and demos of the problem and computer resets, removal and replacement of various parts etc, as a last ditch attempt they replaced the windscreen with a volvo stamped one - never had another issue! no calibration or anything required. It appeared from some info they passed on to me that the volvo approved windscreens have to meet a certain light penetration and the non-volvo (I was told from the same production line) didn't meet the criteria. So something to consider if you get asked to pay for an upgrade to a genuine volvo approved screen