Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Seat belt fixing PV (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=310348)

arcturus Sep 27th, 2020 22:07

Seat belt fixing PV

Hi, re' seat belt fitting, should the reel at floor level be perpendicular to the belt top anchorage or parallel to the floor? I ask because my belt keeps locking up when I don't want it to,for example steering round roundabouts where I tend to lean forward with the effort of pulling the steering wheel round or just trying to lean forward or reach for something.

Derek UK Sep 27th, 2020 23:29

If it didn't lock up when your body moved forward it wouldn't be doing it's job. Having said that some lock up when a ball rolls up a ramp on rapid deceleration. Do yours lock if you pull the belt out too quickly when putting them on?
These belts, are they aftermarket or ones from another model of car? If the later, how are they mounted in that car?

arcturus Sep 28th, 2020 09:12

1 Attachment(s)
Aftermarket. The PV has fixing holes but they were not fitted as standard. Sometimes when pulling up to put on,sometimes when just leaning forward just to reach a switch. One of the problems for me with short legs and the seat fairly far forward is that the belts are quite far behind me,quite a stretch. Will take a photo later.If this problem isn't solved I will remove the belts.

Derek UK Sep 28th, 2020 11:59

Maybe OEM fixed belts would be better than no belts at all. Do you have those?

arcturus Sep 28th, 2020 13:25

No, been looking at them but if they are fixed I will still have the same problem won't I ?. I may have to consider a lap only belt.

blueosprey90 Sep 28th, 2020 15:20

I installed my after market belts in a similar alignment. Bolt on the bottom, then retraction reel and then belt coming straight up. But my retraction reel is closer to the back seat, so the belt is a tiny bit straighter going up. I'm not sure if that is what makes the difference - or if it is the nature of your specific retraction reel.

My humble advice is to try to keep the three point belts if you can.

flaggy Sep 29th, 2020 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcturus (Post 2668458)
Aftermarket. The PV has fixing holes but they were not fitted as standard. Sometimes when pulling up to put on,sometimes when just leaning forward just to reach a switch. One of the problems for me with short legs and the seat fairly far forward is that the belts are quite far behind me,quite a stretch. Will take a photo later.If this problem isn't solved I will remove the belts.

Hi, what year is yours ,my 1953 doesn't have pre fixing holes .

Volvo_133 Sep 29th, 2020 19:51

Hi Arcturus,
I fitted inertia reel belts to my 2 door Amazon to replace the originals. Being a 2 door requires longer belts than the 4 door. Mine came from a 2 door Saab. I had to trial and error a bit to eliminate the belt from locking up at the slightest movement.
Looking at your reel, i would rotate it slightly clockwise to line the reel parallel with your aluminium sill trim.

Derek UK Sep 29th, 2020 22:38

I wouldn't rotate the reel as that would mean that the belt would come out of the reel, which is fixed, at an angle. Whatever the position. the angle of the reel has to allow it to be parallel to the upper roller, which can rotate as required.
At the moment the reel is fitted rather too far forward. It would be better snug up against the panel under the rear seat. That would also keep the belt out of the way from anyone getting in the back that side. Out of interest, if one is fitted, does the passenger one suffer from the same problem?

arcturus Sep 30th, 2020 09:34

Yes,quite often the belt locks up whilst the passenger is pulling it on.