Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 2012 front drivers squeak! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=321195)

Adrian B Nov 4th, 2021 16:09

XC60 2012 front drivers squeak!

Hi. A new squeak has developed and it sounds like the driver's front strut area
Had front wheel off and wheel arch liner and cannot see anything amiss. It is suspension related as on a really smooth road like the M1 it don't happen
Main strut spring is fine , felt at drop link , no play! Could it be the struts top bush mount starting to fail?
No rodents stuck in the either.
Could debris have got somewhere around a rubber bushing?
Any more checks I could do? Regards

Adrian B Nov 8th, 2021 07:33

Listening with a little more focus the sound is more of a rattle if a thin metal plate. Reading on Google, even though I could not feel any movement in the drop link I will replace and report.

Adrian B Nov 14th, 2021 16:00

Replaced front drivers drop link and up to now all seems back to normal. I believe the faulty droplink was original and starting to fail. Used a Meyle HD replacement. Let's see!

Adrian B Nov 26th, 2021 06:59

Well the noise has returned so more investigation needed. I am leaning toward a shock strut failing or failed. I intended to replace the strut if necessary. It could be a new wishbone bush or ball joint. I would describe the current sound as a small travel knocking! Advice appreciated.

Kev0607 Nov 26th, 2021 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian B (Post 2782557)
Hi. A new squeak has developed and it sounds like the driver's front strut area
Had front wheel off and wheel arch liner and cannot see anything amiss. It is suspension related as on a really smooth road like the M1 it don't happen
Main strut spring is fine , felt at drop link , no play! Could it be the struts top bush mount starting to fail?
No rodents stuck in the either.
Could debris have got somewhere around a rubber bushing?
Any more checks I could do? Regards

Could well be a strut mount. Try spraying some silicone spray from the wheel area upwards so it gets to the top of the shock absorber & then spray some at the top from the engine bay. It won’t be a permanent fix, but it might stop the squeak temporarily. If the squeak does stop, then you know its the strut mount. Replace them in pairs.

Adrian B Nov 26th, 2021 10:35

Will try as you said. When you say replace the part do you mean the hard rubber insert or both parts including the top metal cap as well ? Regards

Kev0607 Nov 26th, 2021 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian B (Post 2788244)
Will try as you said. When you say replace the part do you mean the hard rubber insert or both parts including the top metal cap as well ? Regards

Replace in pairs, as in replace the driver’s side & passenger side.

The metal part (Volvo call that a spring seat) is usually okay. These only need replacing if they’re badly corroded. Its the rubber bearing (mount) underneath the metal spring seat that usually goes, so replacing the bearings alone on both sides of the car is fine.

Drunk Nov 26th, 2021 21:06

strut mounts are common on these, the rotating part is part plastic/part metal and pretty cheaply made. probably thats where your noise is coming from

Adrian B Dec 10th, 2021 07:20

Just an update. After an indy had a look it was suggested that the strut/ top bearing could be at fault. Anyhow had a new strut and top bearing fitted yesterday.
Looking at the old parts the top bearing looked ok but the strut was very weak etc. So let's see if the new strut sorts it?
Will give it a proper run today.
If it's solved then I will do the other side as the strut will be well worn as well

Kev0607 Dec 10th, 2021 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrian B (Post 2792032)
Just an update. After an indy had a look it was suggested that the strut/ top bearing could be at fault. Anyhow had a new strut and top bearing fitted yesterday.
Looking at the old parts the top bearing looked ok but the strut was very weak etc. So let's see if the new strut sorts it?
Will give it a proper run today.
If it's solved then I will do the other side as the strut will be well worn as well

An indy fitted one strut/strut mount & didn’t suggest doing the other/tell you they only replace in pairs.

Never come across a garage that replaces one shock before… not on a heavy car that’s coming up on 10 years old anyway. :confused_smile: