Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   XC60 D5 auxiliary belt failure (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=336454)

GPEMK Nov 18th, 2023 16:01

XC60 D5 auxiliary belt failure

Hi,
I have a 2016 XC60 D5 that has done 87,000 miles.
The auxiliary belt has failed for the third time, having lasted less than 18 months. Previous replacements have been Volvo supplied and fitted and both lasted less 18 months.
Is there anything, other than bad luck, which might be leading to such premature failure.
Many thanks,
Martin

Clan Nov 18th, 2023 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by GPEMK (Post 2923511)
Hi,
I have a 2016 XC60 D5 that has done 87,000 miles.
The auxiliary belt has failed for the third time, having lasted less than 18 months. Previous replacements have been Volvo supplied and fitted and both lasted less 18 months.
Is there anything, other than bad luck, which might be leading to such premature failure.
Many thanks,
Martin

there must be a problem this is far from normal. has the alternator pulley one way clutch seized? It should slip when you turn it in one direction and should drive in the opposite direction.. if it is seized there can be severe vibrations straining the belt.. The Aux belt change interval is 54000 miles or 10 years which ever comes first..

IainG Nov 18th, 2023 19:04

Hi

Quote:

If Volvo have fitted them, I would be tempted to go back to them for an explanation. Surely they must check the basics before fitting the belt and tensioner??

Ulrikas PA Nov 18th, 2023 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by IainG (Post 2923540)
Hi

If Volvo have fitted them, I would be tempted to go back to them for an explanation. Surely they must check the basics before fitting the belt and tensioner??

Definitely !

GrahamBrown1 Nov 18th, 2023 22:20

Must be the luckiest owner of a Volvo if after 3 belt failures it hasn’t made its way round the crank and pulled the cam belt out!

GPEMK Nov 19th, 2023 09:05

I will certainly raise the problem with Volvo, although last time they assured me that all was in order.
I do feel very fortunate that the breakage has not caused damage but just inconvenience.
One failure was at such a low speed that the belt was still on the pulley when the breakdown technician inspected the vehicle.
The other two failures were only noticed when the warning about the battery not charging came on s few moments after starting the car which was parked.

GrahamBrown1 Nov 19th, 2023 15:03

Clan always states these belts are good for 54,000 miles but I beg to differ. You are not the only person I have heard of who has had belt failure of a genuine belt fitted by a dealer.

The genuine belt fitted to my S80 which is the same set up as the XC60 has done just 10,000 miles. Fitted when my alternator clutch pulley was replaced. It already looks extremely well worn and will be changed every year at service.

Clan Nov 19th, 2023 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 (Post 2923629)
Clan always states these belts are good for 54,000 miles but I beg to differ. You are not the only person I have heard of who has had belt failure of a genuine belt fitted by a dealer.

The genuine belt fitted to my S80 which is the same set up as the XC60 has done just 10,000 miles. Fitted when my alternator clutch pulley was replaced. It already looks extremely well worn and will be changed every year at service.

Its what volvo recommend I'm just passing the info on.. The root cause of this must be found especially if you are having trouble as well. They were originally good to be changed on the 108000 mile service when introduced for 2007 model year. until volvo reduced the interval by half after the tensioner mods around 2011-12 there was not a problem like yours until about 2020 or so from what I read on here so what has changed?
The car needs to go to a dealer who will get Volvo UK investigators down to investigate it...

Ulrikas PA Nov 19th, 2023 18:50

No manufacturer suggests changing a drive belt at every service.

If it's worn after a year, there has to be an underlying root cause. It's a bit like someone saying that my brake pads only last a year. Is the caliper sticking etc etc.

GPEMK Nov 21st, 2023 19:42

2 Attachment(s)
Just a quick update ...
On Monday I called the dealer who fitted the last two belts, but they were unable to look / fit a new belt until Wednesday (initially they said Thursday) of this week. They were not able to help with a loan vehicle. I had to be back home 100 miles away on Monday, so waiting until then was not a practical solution.
I have attached a picture of the break in the belt. Looking elsewhere at the belt, there are two cracks in the edge which are a couple of mm long.
There was wear along both of the edges of the belt with some of cord visible.
The vehicle was recovered to a local workshop close to home on Monday afternoon and by mid-morning Tuesday, the engineer there had fitted a new belt. He gave the pulleys a clean bill of health but fitted a new tensioner out an abundance of caution. He also suggested that he would be willing to check the belt in three months time.
I have sent the belt and my comments to Volvo UK's Customer Services Team.