Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   AWD Discussion (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   HALDEX 5 SERVICE @ 43000klms (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=309583)

Agro Sep 3rd, 2020 04:32

HALDEX 5 SERVICE @ 43000klms

2 Attachment(s)
Just serviced the Haldex AOC on my 2014 XC70 at 43000klms.

Lots of gunk and very dirty oil - see photos.

Had I expected this I would have serviced it at 30000klms.

Would recommend this service be a high priority to anyone who hasn't done theirs yet.

Tip.... rather than pull the pump out and risk a big oily mess, place your tube/syringe inside the filler hole and suck most of the oil out before removing the pump.

Clan Sep 3rd, 2020 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agro (Post 2661680)
Just serviced the Haldex AOC on my 2014 XC70 at 43000klms.

Lots of gunk and very dirty oil - see photos.

Had I expected this I would have serviced it at 30000klms.

Would recommend this service be a high priority to anyone who hasn't done theirs yet.

Tip.... rather than pull the pump out and risk a big oily mess, place your tube/syringe inside the filler hole and suck most of the oil out before removing the pump.

This was indeed a problem about 6 years ago , there was a faulty batch of oil causing the pump intake filter to block with a jelly substance . one the oil was changed all was ok , they generally do not need servicing as such as volvo use the highest quality oil available ,.

Agro Sep 3rd, 2020 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2661734)
This was indeed a problem about 6 years ago , there was a faulty batch of oil causing the pump intake filter to block with a jelly substance . one the oil was changed all was ok , they generally do not need servicing as such as volvo use the highest quality oil available ,.

Hmmm, thanks for the letting me know Clan.

Well it seems they didn't use the highest quality oil then. A tonne of that sludge fell out when the pump was pulled out.

Thanks for letting your customers know Volvo! :buttkick:

Kev0607 Sep 4th, 2020 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2661734)

Sounds a bit like the "sealed for life transmissions". :rolleyes:

The "highest quality" fluid is used, yet some of the fluid I've come across could be painted onto roads (colour wise).

This is because people are under the impression that their transmission is indeed sealed & nothing needs to be done with it & the fluid isn't as good as you make it out to be. This is clever marketing from Volvo's perspective, particularly as they don't specify it in their service schedule that a transmission should be serviced, unless its under "arduous use" . Whenever I phoned up to book my car in, nothing was ever mentioned about the transmission fluid, regardless of the mileage.