Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   Diesel Engines (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   D5 Head Gasket (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=337095)

paultyler1 Dec 21st, 2023 10:35

D5 Head Gasket

As part of a long standing dispute with my XC90 D5 (see another posting), my engine has been completely stripped down.

I have always accepted that I should pay to have the head gasket replaced as that was part of the original fault. However, the garage has said that this would likely to have cost about 5100€ (about £4400). They have included in this price 5 injectors, water pump and thermostat. Is it reasonable to include these?

Is there anyone out there who has had the head gasket replaced by a garage and at what cost?

Simmy Dec 21st, 2023 10:51

as the thermostat and water pump may have been involved with overheating causing head gasket failure i would say yes acceptable but not injectors unless the tips are badly burned by an overheat situation it hard to say without being there with the striped down engine i believe they are trying to make sure that the problem is not repeated new cambelt and its components should also be replaced .

Clan Dec 21st, 2023 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultyler1 (Post 2928056)
As part of a long standing dispute with my XC90 D5 (see another posting), my engine has been completely stripped down.

I have always accepted that I should pay to have the head gasket replaced as that was part of the original fault. However, the garage has said that this would likely to have cost about 5100€ (about £4400). They have included in this price 5 injectors, water pump and thermostat. Is it reasonable to include these?

Is there anyone out there who has had the head gasket replaced by a garage and at what cost?

why do you need to take the head off? the post above suggests overheating?

The head gasket is about 4 layers of steel not a traditional fibre gasket, if the head is leaking coolant into the combustion chamber you MUST get the head checked for flatness AND more importantly the top of the block face .

There are about 5 different thicknesses of head gasket determined by the pattern of of 4mm holes punched into a corner of the gasket, ensure you get the correct one to match the old gasket.

paultyler1 Dec 24th, 2023 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clan (Post 2928096)
why do you need to take the head off? the post above suggests overheating?

The head gasket is about 4 layers of steel not a traditional fibre gasket, if the head is leaking coolant into the combustion chamber you MUST get the head checked for flatness AND more importantly the top of the block face .

There are about 5 different thicknesses of head gasket determined by the pattern of of 4mm holes punched into a corner of the gasket, ensure you get the correct one to match the old gasket.

The engine has been completely dismantled and it is obvious that the head gasket has failed. The head and block are completely flat.

DieselDoNicely Jan 24th, 2024 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultyler1 (Post 2928056)

I have done a head fix on a D5 about then years ago when the cambelt jumped the tracks.
I used the old injector pipes. Why do they want to do the injectors and the water pump?
Thermostat may be as mine went on the 2005 D5. I had to buy new stretch bolts - not cheaper. May be cheap to find a low-mile engine from a donor vehicle.