Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   General Volvo and Motoring Discussions (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   General: Car Wash Gave Away Wife's Key: Do You Have It? (Ipswich) (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=316169)

sebringmx Apr 19th, 2021 12:00

Car Wash Gave Away Wife's Key: Do You Have It? (Ipswich)

My wife had her V40 washed by some outfit in Morrison's, Sproughton Road, Ipswich on 18th April, 2021 (around 11:00 AM).
They gave her key to someone else who happened to be driving "the same car", so I guess that means any Volvo around the same size. They say it was a silver metallic. Her's is blue...
Maybe you have the keys by mistake, or know someone who may have them? It is a long shot I know.
We have posted on Facebook and Twitter with nothing so far. She has asked Morrison security to look on the CCTV for the reg. but it looks like that isn't showing anything.
Any help most welcome! Thanks

Polestar Pete Apr 19th, 2021 12:17

It always worries me that things like this are based entirely on trust. I've used supermarket car washers myself many years ago, but I really wonder what would happen with the insurance claim when things like this happen, or your car getting scratched up by a grit-filled cloth, or if the car cleaner has a bump while moving it, or when a complete stranger comes up and says "That's my car, thanks very much" and then goes a drives away in your car.

Hope you get yours sorted out.

sebringmx Apr 19th, 2021 12:38

Thanks
I expect if you give them the keys that become "lost", and your car is subsequently stolen using those keys (or a cloned copy), you will be uninsured under your car insurance.
The car wash company will be responsible. Worryingly the workers at this car wash seemed to think they work for Morrison's. It seems impossible to find who is in charge as they point to each other like a Mexican stand-off, and there is no company info ether.
I can see us having to for out for key reprogramming and a new key from our own pocket.
God knows what possessed her to want a car wash in the first place, and then to leave her keys with them as well...

DSK Apr 19th, 2021 13:28

Sorry I can't help but I'd consider using a steering wheel disclock just incase its some organised crime operating as this would be a great way to obtain a set of keys, then easily track the vehicle and steal it.

I don't know much about recoding the security at the dealer but, these two would be my first priority and then forget about the key that's been wrongly given away.

I believe the car washes should, have their own trade insurance to cover them when left with other peoples cars.

S60RDesign Apr 19th, 2021 13:58

These places are often awful to deal with, they have no expertise or pride in what they do but I hope you at least get them to pay for a new key but as one poster said there is the possibility of crime (although must be slim, but does seem off someone would take the wrong key and not give it back), lots of car washes are operated by shady types who hide behind their lack of English. I guess Morrison’s won’t be interested but if the car wash is operating on their premises it’s worth involving them, I guess they could put pressure on them to pay up.

rxtian Apr 19th, 2021 14:05

Maybe I'm missing something, but how did someone drive off the wrong car with your keys...? How could this be an honest mistake? Even if I had the spare key with me for some reason, I'd be back there complaining they broke my key.

I'd get the car to Volvo ASAP to at least get the missing key erased, also make a police report for the theft of the key.

js90 Apr 19th, 2021 14:22

Agree with comments above. I would be doing the following in this order:

Report to police and get a reference number.

Inform insurance that the key is missing, and provide the police reference.

Get the key removed by Volvo. Also get a quote for a new key.

Find whoever runs the car wash and write to them with a bill for the removal of the key, and a quote for a new key and programming.

Pursue in small claims if necessary.

Laird Scooby Apr 19th, 2021 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by js90 (Post 2729903)

Find whoever runs the car wash and write to them with a bill for the removal of the key, and a quote for a new key and programming.

This is the best answer IMHO out of all the advice you've been offered. I don't hold out much hope for getting your key back from the carwash people, if challeneged they will miraculously disappear or "No spick Ingleesy" or if an individual is challenged directly - "That's him!" - "No no no, it was my brother, he's gone back to Pooland (or wherever they're from)".

If Morrisons pressurise the carwash people to reimburse you and/or find the key, it's also likely to cause a disappearance or new staff to appear.

Hope you get it resolved and that your wife has learned not to use dodgy carwash people and above all, not to volunteer her keys to them! :nah:

AndyJudge Apr 19th, 2021 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by js90 (Post 2729903)

Agree totally with Laird Scooby, I'd get steps 1,2 & 3 in place ASAP. At least the missing key can't be used to take the car, although I guess it could still be used to unlock it manually.

Worse Case

if an individual is challenged directly - "That's him!" - "No no no, it was my brother, he's gone back to Poland (or wherever they're from)" along with the V40.

XCR Apr 19th, 2021 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebringmx (Post 2729874)
Thanks
I expect if you give them the keys that become "lost", and your car is subsequently stolen using those keys (or a cloned copy), you will be uninsured under your car insurance.
The car wash company will be responsible. Worryingly the workers at this car wash seemed to think they work for Morrison's. It seems impossible to find who is in charge as they point to each other like a Mexican stand-off, and there is no company info ether.
I can see us having to for out for key reprogramming and a new key from our own pocket.
God knows what possessed her to want a car wash in the first place, and then to leave her keys with them as well...

Like Lt. Columbo 'Theres something that bothers me....'
Having handed over her keys, which then got 'lost', how did your wife manage to drive home ? Presumably with a ton of shopping...
I assume she rang you to bring the spare ?
When you arrived why did you not ring the police and ask them to attend a theft ?
Was there anything in the car that showed your address at all ?
I'd be emailing Morrisons CEO - david.potts-ceo@morrisonsplc.co.uk and contacting the UK Border Agency/Immigration Control to rattle a cage or two....
And why not contact The Sun - exclusive@the-sun.co.uk if you feel like recouping your losses and get paid for your story.
Newsdesk should give around £2k.....