Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Noisy Seats?! (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=279616)

domhart10 Mar 19th, 2018 15:13

Noisy Seats?!

Not so much of a problem but when I got the car, it felt as tight as a drum and there was no rattling and it was dead silent and quiet etc etc, even the engine was mega quiet under idle.

The other day driving along I noticed my seat has started creaking loads?! obviously not a problem but its annoying me as everything else sits nice and quite in the cabin .... anyone got this as well? where do I start oiling? feels like its actually inside the seat rather than the rails.

iainmd Mar 19th, 2018 17:08

Common fault. Recline the seat back all the way back and you'll see the hinges between the base and the upright. Spray them with PTFE lube spray (not WD40) and they should cease creaking.

LizardOfBodom Mar 20th, 2018 12:20

1 Attachment(s)
Gonna add my 2c to that as I had the same issue twice. Hinges are one part, but culprit is also deeper in the seat - those whiplash protecting parts (see pic).
I found that it was actually easier to get there by reclining seats forward and spraying generously in that around-area.
Havent heard creak since last May (knock on wood).
Its worth noting, that it was an official Volvo recall or advised work in US I think and the documented remedy for that is to disassembly a seat and putting a piece of felt there to sort it out once for all.

domhart10 Mar 20th, 2018 14:32

Thanks guys, I will do this today or tomorrow right away. not sure I can claim on recall as every recall should have been done with the dealer as I checked to make sure everything that needed to be done, has :thumbs_up:

LizardOfBodom Mar 20th, 2018 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by domhart10 (Post 2382934)
Thanks guys, I will do this today or tomorrow right away. not sure I can claim on recall as every recall should have been done with the dealer as I checked to make sure everything that needed to be done, has :thumbs_up:

Its actually not a recall but a under-warranty fix with Volvo bulletin, just double checked.
99% cases a good lube will sort it out anyway and less hassle without taking seat out. good luck anyway! :)

FunkyMelon Mar 21st, 2018 13:09

Yep I had the same issue, some PTFE oil sorted it no problem.

It's just my door cards that rattle now.

They really aren't as well put together these models. My older S40 had 200k on the clock and didn't rattle at all. My parents have a 2009 S40 T5 R-Design and a 2012 C30 R-Design and both of those rattle inside too (thanks Ford).

Ho hum!

LizardOfBodom Mar 21st, 2018 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyMelon (Post 2383274)
Yep I had the same issue, some PTFE oil sorted it no problem.

It's just my door cards that rattle now.

They really aren't as well put together these models. My older S40 had 200k on the clock and didn't rattle at all. My parents have a 2009 S40 T5 R-Design and a 2012 C30 R-Design and both of those rattle inside too (thanks Ford).

Ho hum!

Funny you should say that, as it was literally the first thing I thought after 5 mins of driving my V50 after I bought it. I remember going onto motorway and wondering why everything creaks and rattles a bit, comparing to my prev gen 2003 S40 that didnt even hint a squeak...
too much (cheap) plastic I guess?...

FunkyMelon Mar 21st, 2018 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom (Post 2383299)
Funny you should say that, as it was literally the first thing I thought after 5 mins of driving my V50 after I bought it. I remember going onto motorway and wondering why everything creaks and rattles a bit, comparing to my prev gen 2003 S40 that didnt even hint a squeak...
too much (cheap) plastic I guess?...

I'm guessing most of the cost when new on the older cars would be higher quality materials and time to put together etc.

On these and newer cars I imagine the cost of them is mostly spent on electronic/software engineers designing all the crap in them.

Every iteration it seems the price goes up due to the technology inside and they save money on mechanical/material parts to bring it to market at a 'marketable' price.

The new (2014+) XC90 has over 130 different modules inside and the main software controlling it is over 12GB in size. When you consider Windows 10 is less than that and is a complete OS.....It's a bit crazy.

The software list for it on ViDA last time I looked was insane....