Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   GLT Tailgate internal panel removal HOW (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=4808)

w07 1171 Oct 16th, 2002 22:50

GLT Tailgate internal panel removal HOW

Hi All,

I want to remove the tailgate from my 95(M) GLT and I have the Haynes manual but I cannot remove the tailgate inner handle cover (Page 11*8 in Haynes manual) I have tried the spatula and various more forceful means all with no success, so I figured they have changed the way it comes off and Haynes is not correct ?. I want to remove the rear panel because a the top of it has come away because what looks like 2 clips have either brocken or damaged (yes i have read they are flimsy) and want to try and refitt it once i see how its held in place, BTW are the parts available or is it a DIY job ?.

dr dolittle Oct 17th, 2002 06:28

RE: GLT Tailgate internal panel removal HOW

I seem to remember that the top of the handle cover comes away "easier" than the bottom but still requires so much force that you will be convinced it's going to break !

I have the same problem with broken clips etc - will be interested to know how your repair goes - are you fitting the Volvo "repair kit" ?

Good luck

Steve

rstrang Oct 17th, 2002 08:24

Hi,

Haynes manual is basically correct, but does need a lot more force than would seem prudent x(

Plastic parts are still available but you may need repair kit which has been mentioned in previous posts on this forum.

Richard

Chris_Rogers Oct 19th, 2002 17:47

When I repaired mine using the Volvo kit, I removed just the top plastic part by removeing the pressed steel nuts.
I used some old towels to 'wedge' the lower part away from the tail gate while I did the work.

w07 1171 Oct 19th, 2002 18:54

Thanks Steve,Richard and Chris, I did not realise there was such a kit avail, so will enquire at a dealer ASAP, Chris on reading your reply I have to admit I am not sure what 'steel nuts' your refering to ?, is this why I cannot remove the cover I referred to ?, I gather more force than seems prudent is called for, but having given it a little bit more force a very small crack has appeared on this small panel, I am wondering if this has been off before and been glued back on !.

Chris_Rogers Oct 19th, 2002 21:14

My car is a '96 so may be different.

If you pull the tail gate trim away fron the tailgate and look behind, you should find the 'plastic' bit is attached to the 'carpet' section using about 5 pressed steel nuts.
The repair kit (£17ish) is just some tin plate sections and self tapping screws that are fitted over the broken plastic lugs on the 'plastic' section.
You will also need some new (black) plastic fasteners to attach the 'plastic' section back to the tailgate.

It will make sense when you look.