Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Fuelling issues - engine just cuts out (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=169618)

jumboduster Dec 30th, 2012 16:40

Fuelling issues - engine just cuts out

Hi there,

First time on here, so lets see how this goes!

I have just bought a volvo v70 d5 (183hp). Running back home on the m25 the other day, the engine just cut out suddenly. No rough running before hand, and no engine management light either. Pulled on to the hard shoulder and called the AA. The AA guy suspected a faulty fuel pump. However I think it could be anything to do with the fuel system.

The car starts no problem, but when the engine warms up, it just suddenly cuts. Sometimes restarts, sometimes doesn't. I was holding the revs at about 2.5k and there was some knocking just before it cut out (I would imagine the engine being staved of fuel).

I have a mobile mechanic coming out tomorrow to do a diagnostic check on it. I tried changing fuel filter today but so difficult to get off so am going to offer the mechanic a go.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or any ideas of the best way to go about solving this problem? I will keep you posted with the diagnostics outcome.

Luke

Coventry Dec 30th, 2012 17:09

Could be the fuel filter so definitely change that for the small cost. They can be quite tight. When was it last changed?

jumboduster Dec 30th, 2012 17:16

don't think it has ever been changed! The car has done 98000 miles now

Coventry Dec 30th, 2012 17:23

!

If it's never been changed then it would be a very good idea to renew it regardless! Even if it's not the source of your problems, it's well overdue.

jumboduster Dec 30th, 2012 17:33

of course! For some reason I don't think fuel filter replacement is in the service schedule, but it definitely should be!

jumboduster Jan 4th, 2013 14:41

ok, so sorted filter out... now been changed and no luck! The swirl flap servo motor loom was loose and therefore wasn't working. However this doesn't help the actual issue.

The diagnostic came up with inlet manifold pressure sensor (map sensor I believe, correct me if I'm wrong). I have ordered a new map sensor from GSF parts costing about £40 in total. Volvo wanted £340 or so! Maybe the guy didn't have his glasses on!

Any other thoughts on this matter?

outnumbered Jan 4th, 2013 14:49

what code reader was used:thumbs_up:

100K+ Jan 4th, 2013 15:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumboduster (Post 1318987)
. I was holding the revs at about 2.5k and there was some knocking just before it cut out (I would imagine the engine being staved of fuel).

Think you may have answered your own question here.
Diesels do knock before they cut out when starved of fuel,

Would check fuel pump too

Cheers

Bob

jumboduster Jan 4th, 2013 15:24

Not sure what code reader was used. It was done by a mobile mechanic, very good chap, helped with the fuel filter too!

Thanks bob, are there any ways of knowing if the fuel pump is working or not? I know the one in the fuel tank is, so if anything it will be the high pressure pump! I would rather not spend out on something like that unless I know for sure that's the fault! Is it an electric pump? Can't really work it out from looking at it!

cheers

100K+ Jan 4th, 2013 16:14

Sorry can't help further, my Volvos are petrol, just know diesels make a racket as they run out of fuel.

Would have thought High Pressure pump would have given signs of failure - poor running etc rather than just shutting down.

Cheers

Bob