Volvo Owners Club Forum

Volvo Owners Club Forum (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/index.php)
-   C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Radio (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286539)

Clint68 Sep 17th, 2018 22:23

Radio

Hi,
Got a 2007 V50 and MW don’t work on the radio only FM. According to the manual it should have 2 boxes in the boot for FM/MW reception. I’ve had the back stripped out when I fitted my towbar elecrics and no such boxes are there for the radio.

On the same token, has anyone had DAB radio fitted as an extra. I’m talking about the setup you can get fitted at Halfords but no idea how it would hardwire to existing radio.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Clan Sep 17th, 2018 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint68 (Post 2448620)
Hi,
Got a 2007 V50 and MW don’t work on the radio only FM. According to the manual it should have 2 boxes in the boot for FM/MW reception. I’ve had the back stripped out when I fitted my towbar elecrics and no such boxes are there for the radio.

On the same token, has anyone had DAB radio fitted as an extra. I’m talking about the setup you can get fitted at Halfords but no idea how it would hardwire to existing radio.

Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.

If the AM has no sound whatsoever it is something called a ladder fi;lter inside , it does happen on the odd volvo ..
About 5 years ago volvo did do a DAB add on kit , the pure highway DAB 300Di it was very good and had a bonus of adding a Aux, and a USB and I-Pod input .. This is no longer offered but there is a new version now in halfords the pure highway DAB 600 take a look at that ...

iainmd Sep 18th, 2018 10:22

The Alpine EZI-DAB is the same as the Pure300 so if you can still find one it's good and inexpensive. My install is shown on this thread...

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=286493

BOBAD Sep 19th, 2018 07:06

MW radio? How very 1960s !

Get an Alpine Ezi-dab fitted immediately........... Don't hesitate........ You won't regret it !

Clint68 Sep 19th, 2018 12:17

MW Radio

Thanks for your replies on the medium wave problem.

The medium wave has never worked, just hisses and can’t find any stations, I only wanted it for Radio 5 live. I have now become smitten with the double din stereos I have seen installed since reading your replies. Are these an easy install, can any double din be installed and does the the temp setting display for heater work as normal and for split temps for driver/passenger.

Thanks

Clan Sep 19th, 2018 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clint68 (Post 2449117)
Thanks for your replies on the medium wave problem.

The medium wave has never worked, just hisses and can’t find any stations, I only wanted it for Radio 5 live. I have now become smitten with the double din stereos I have seen installed since reading your replies. Are these an easy install, can any double din be installed and does the the temp setting display for heater work as normal and for split temps for driver/passenger.

Thanks

If MW hisses it is not what I said above , most likely an aerial or aerial amplifier at the rear ..

iainmd Sep 19th, 2018 13:22

I'm not sure you've seen any double DIN radios fitted to a P1 Volvo other than the BluePower unit which is very expensive indeed and, from reviews on here, a pretty unfinished article that's badly supported by the vendor in Sweden.

You can't install any generic double DIN unit and even if you could bodge that you'd lose the car's climate controls.

Options for the radios on our cars are very limited indeed due to the complexity of the factory fit system that uses a series of fibre optically linked units in a modular fashion to create the audio system.

Options are pretty much BluePower, Pure DAB, Alpine EZI-DAB, Parrot or FM transmitter. The only one that integrates is the Bluepower and it's not without fault. The rest mainly connect to the existing AUX in or use FM transmission.

Clint68 Sep 19th, 2018 17:00

Upgrade audio headset

1 Attachment(s)
That’s a shame if it’s too much trouble and likely to lose climate control. Had a quick Google earlier and found a Sony double din that someone has installed. Think I would sooner keep my climate control.

Thanks

Sysyphus Sep 19th, 2018 17:29

There’s definitely some significant surgery required on the waterfall console and its mounts to fit a double Din in there, and you do need to find a new home for the ICM module and it’s display to keep the climate controls functional.